Awesomes of the Internets

That is probably… the coolest piece of technology I have seen in a very long time :slight_smile: Almost magical.

For anyone the least bit interested in additive manufacturing, watch the video. It’s much more informative than the articles I’ve been reading, and the guy doing the presentation is one of the company founders, a chemist. Crudely put, the process is upside down photopolymerization. The presenter showed that polymers with a variety of mechanical properties can be used, and the resulting quality of the parts is impressive. He compared it to injection molding.

havent been such a huge fan of TED talks recently with the direction they’ve been taking but this is detailed and informative, good stuff.

Nice little animation for anyone under today’s eclipse!

1 Like

It’s cloudy and a bit misty here, but the lower luminosity gives a slightly eerie feel to the morning.

I remember the 1999 eclipse - with my parents, we took the road for a few hundred km to see the total eclipse. Unfortunately, there were clouds right when it was total. But seeing the shadow arriving from the horizon, and later the light, was pretty impressive.
(We were at the Chemin des Dames. Those fields of identical tombstones are something hard to forget about.)

I took a few glances through 3 sunglasses. Hopefully they were protective enough. :sunny:

No, they weren’t.

Sunglasses only stop visible light, sometimes part of UV as well, but in any case not all.
So the other UVs as well as the IR light go right through it and is the same order of intensity than visible light: well enough to burn the retina. Worse, without visible light, your eyes don’t perceive it and don’t react to overwhelming light, as insufficient as it would be.

If you took only a few glances, you should be fine. Most kids take a few glances at the Sun unprotected anyway, and many adults have to look at things (like the road) despite having this stupid Sun right in the eyes and it’s such a nuisance and it gives a headache and I hate it and I digress.
So if it caused massive damage, I suppose it would be considered a prime health hazard. I’d still suggest you to ask a doctor (if possible, an ophthalmologist) just in case.

If you stared at it for more than a few glances, go see a doctor right now. Some treatments can mitigate the damage if applied as soon as possible. (putting you in complete darkness for a few days IIRC, but don’t quote me on that).
The worst part is that when your retina is burned, you generally won’t know it at first. It creates a second “blind spot” that your brain corrects. So not only there is a zone where you don’t see anymore, but you don’t even see that you don’t see anymore there.
That said, being able to read this text means that the fovea should be fine at least IIRC.

There are special glasses for looking at the Sun. Where I live, they sell them at such occasions for cheap in pharmacies, I would suppose it’s the same in other countries.
Don’t look at the Sun through ordinary sunglasses!

1 Like

We had a handy but of cloud come over that was thick enough to shield most of the light, but thin enough to still see the Sun shining through. Took a few glances and it was worth the risk to my eyesight!

And for what it’s worth, I totally agree about the Sun in your eyes when driving. Especially when it’s low around Winter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes I took only a few glances. And since I am able to read the text I suppose I’m fine :wink:

Edit: and there was a thin layer of clouds here as well. Hopefully they contributed something to the protection.

I watched a different one a long time ago with a welder’s helmet. I could see it fine. I feel for your eyes. =(…

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/homeworld-remastered-collection-ships-on-sketchfab/176320

Pretty sweet. I would love to see some of I:BS assets shown off like this. Maybe during the KS.

@INovaeKeith Hint Hint. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll be back… hehe he

Love it or hate it, this gal is all for T5! 07.01.2015

2 Likes

Happy “don’t believe anything you read on the internet” day everyone!

4 Likes

It’s only been today for 5 minutes! Do you believe me?

Imgur

1 Like

One more step towards self driving cars.


Don’t mind me, I’m testing out something stupid.

1 Like

I don’t think people should post legitimate content on the internet the 1st of April… no trust :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Well, I did try to link my post… in the same post, just to see what happens. Unfortu… erm, fortunately, the internet doesn’t explode. In fact, nothing happens. :pensive:

1 Like

Take that!! Behind The Scenes- Indiana Jones in Real Life! There title. Running away from a big inhabited ball. Mine.

1 Like

Rare Sperm Whale Encounter with ROV | Nautilus Live :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkBpummjR5I#t=12

2 Likes