Awesomes of the Internets

Based on the videos, it appears that trolling robots is the primary occupation of people that work at Boston Dynamics.

3 Likes

That robot was smart to ware his (?) athletic supporter. :wink:

1 Like

It’s the Roger Murtaugh of robot prototypes :stuck_out_tongue:
“I’m too old for this shit”

2 Likes

Now that is what I call good contemporary art.
http://miniature-calendar.com

(Or the Instagram if you just want the image list )

1 Like

fun links:

for github users wanting to see the visual their codes make: http://codeology.braintreepayments.com/featured

digital rubik cube: http://iamthecu.be/

a moon tracker: http://www.moongiant.com/

2 Likes

Vulkan API

Not sure if this has been linked somewhere else, but here goes:

ProtoStar, the First Unreal Engine Demonstration of Vulkan API

4 Likes

Russia actually lights its rockets with a giant match.
It just works.

2 Likes

Russia, the very definition of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

That said though, they are working on a new generation of launch vehicle which may or may not have a more modern lighting mechanism.

1 Like

FYI, Falcon 9 uses hypergolics (two chemicals that spontaneously combust when they come in contact). So they pump these two chemicals into the chamber to create a flame, then ignite the engines from that. The Shuttle used a spark igniter system on the pad.

Note that hypergolics are used for thrusters in space. Mercury used monopropellant thrusters (relying on a substance that reacts with a catalyst to produce an expanding gas), while pretty much everything since has used hypergolics. Hypergolics are great for restarting engines on demand, but they’re nasty to handle. And there’s always the issue of having them mix accidentally.

Here’s a little video of a guy doing a very quick explanation of rocket fuel types, followed by a demonstration of a hypergolic fuel mix in a laboratory setting. It’s very tame, so don’t expect big explosions.

2 Likes
1 Like

http://frameofmind.be

http://www.akimbocomics.com/?p=924

Oh my god !!

Hehe

1 Like

Tesla’s model 3 reveal is happening right now for those that are interested.

https://model3.tesla.com/

1 Like

Can I have one please?

2 Likes

Small update but damn do I want the matte black one from the reveal. It looks so good.

4 Likes

Seperate post because different topic.

BO launched and landed their rocket intended for tourism again yesterday. Its payloaded consisted of a couple of microgravity experiments this time around.

From what I read the rocket has had little to no refurbishment other than replacing comsumables(Fuel, rcs, parachutes for the capsule, etc). I think they’re going to fly this sucker until it can’t fly any more just to test its limit. They also tested a lower engine restart altitude, probably to get data on trajectories closer resembling suicide burns for landing larger rockets whose engine TWR is never <1.

5 Likes

I wish they were able to show more of the car’s specs but I guess we’ll see in a few months.
I usually find the matte paintwork looks messy in sunlight. I’m more partial to the metallic colours.
If only I could make a down-payment D:

I’ve actually never been a fan of matte black on any car. This is stranglely the only time it has ever looked good to me. I think you might be right that it would look worse in sunlight. My top choice for car colours is a dark steel blue or forest green anyways, but black is always a close third.

Me too. Funnily enough the Tesla S has the exact shade I like

Also, easter update of the Gigafactory flyover

2 Likes