Awesomes of the Internets

Like comics? Digger is in the cream of webcomics.

http://diggercomic.com/

I’m… actually not that impressed with Ambition. It’s a nice concept, some nice special effects, and I even quite like the acting, but… A small group of nerds could’ve made something like this in their spare time (just look at what INovae can do with real-time graphics), and if they had it would’ve been impressive, but as part of a billion-euro decade-long interplanetary project?

Just doesn’t seem all that ambitious. Though to be fair, ā€œnot all that ambitious compared to the Rosetta missionā€ doesn’t really say much.

Still worth watching.

The special effects themselves dind’t impress me that much ether but he combination of music, sounds and visuals did.
Actually the music and sound effects shine more in this short movie.
It reminds me of a trailer for a over the top movie or video game.

As I said in the past … some years ago on the old forum … the shorter the movie the more important music/sound becomes!

www.Vimeo.com is a good place to find a lot more articstic short movies.

I definitely recommend this one. Some may find the art a bit off-putting in the first few pages (like many webcomics, actually), but it doesn’t last.
If you aren’t afraid to lose sleep by suddenly realising that wait, it’s already WHAT a.m.? give it a go.

Bonus advantage, it’s a finished series. So no waiting to discover the end, or fear that it will just stop or slap a disappointing one.

3 Likes

This game looks really sweet.

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/

1 Like

WITHOUT question, this is truly one of the most awesomenest of awesomes on the internets:

https://archive.org/details/internetarcade

A monochrome display with terrible FPS and probably headache-inducing - but 3D and in thin air.
http://www.diginfo.tv/v/14-0044-en.php
It is ionizing air at a distance with lasers, which makes it bright the same way lightning does. So we are actually starting to write in the air with lightning. Sometimes I love living in the Future.

So, given the rate of progress in 2D screen displays, how long before Star Trek holograms? :smiley:

1 Like

Actual 3d images that can move around?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see prototypes within the decade. If that.

The prototype is actually what they were filming for the video. It seems to have been mounted on the car visible below the image.

I was talking about the holodeck. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fully functional particle accelerator. Made of Lego.

2 Likes

So umm how much did CERN cost? (the one in Switzerland, France, Italy and what if any nation I missed.)

A billion Euro a year I think it is? To be fair it does go a bit faster than 400 studs per second.

Salmon cannon:

3 Likes

5 Likes

Torus planets.

I request - no, I demand a Donut Earth in I:B! :smiley:

1 Like

I saw this already but it was so good! I’ve watched it at least 4 times…

1 Like

It really is. Truly Inspiring. And no STARS! And the epic music and narator!

Sagan is great. His books are a fantastic read too if you haven’t read them already. I enjoyed cosmos a good deal but my favorite of his is Pale Blue Dot. I read it my freshman year and I really think it’s what pushed me to study physics and want to dedicate my life towards exploring space. I owe him the last 3 years of frustrating math and physics classes heh

I only recently learned about liftport and their planes(recently as in yesterday or friday; small world)so I’m very curious about the video but I don’t have time to watch it right now. I’ll check it out soonā„¢ and edit or reply.

I must end my procrastination and get something done…finals week here we go

I backed the Liftport kickstarter way back then (it was actually my first project that I backed). As awesome as the company and its goals seem, I have yet to receive my reward…