Art Challenges for Infinity Fan Art (Challenge 4 - An Infinity Short Story - Ended! - Winner: ThornEel!)

Count me in for this one! =)

1 Like

I got about two thirds of the way through converting the Flamberge mesh into a manifold object. Lots of joining up of mesh parts was needed. I still have the files so maybe one day I’ll complete the task or maybe in future meshes won’t need to be manifold to be lit properly. Then there’s just the little issue of securing rights to use the model from Supernova if anyone can find him.

On topic, count me in for this challenge. It sounds fun.

3 Likes

Would be awesome to see it finished one day!

Although iconic I would say it might need some additional detail to look like it’s 5km. For example those boxy X-wing like engine pods look like they could be attached to a fighter of 25m in size :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to stay off topic for one post (and an excuse for a cool screen shot), here’s the Flamberge that Flavien gave a rough texture and then rendered in the Infinity engine back in 2006:

More to see on Moddb here: Infinity65 image - Infinity: The Quest for Earth - Indie DB

Edit to add: Imagine what it would look like with guns on those MK4 hardpoints!

3 Likes

To push things back on topic after my last post I had a concept for the old guard logo, but only Paint available to jot it down:

It encompasses the feeling that we’ve waited a long time, the infinity logo (this could be made more explicit) and procedurally generated worlds.

This is more of a brainstorming submission to get people thinking rather than a serious entry. I’m happy for any part or all of the idea to be used by someone who could do it more justice.

5 Likes

Now that’s the good old contributions forum attitude :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can I participate too please?

1 Like

Yes you can :smile:

Were you nominated yet in the group by the way? If not then consider it done.

Contestants at this point:

  • LucasFIN
  • Lomsor
  • Alkan2
  • spacet
  • Cayfish
  • IllOO

Those already in can already start to work on their entries if they want (the deadline is set). And new contestants can still join in even though the competition has started.

Here are a few of my initial ideas for the logo. Posting them here for some feedback. (I consider the other members as the ā€˜client’ for this work)

The top left is my own favorite. Top right is the same idea with a star.

The 3rd one was an attempt to play with the Flamberge idea. :slight_smile: Not a fan of it tbh.

Any feedback?

6 Likes

The top right. That star looks too Communist run everyone’s life (but there own).
Maybe an hourglass?

1 Like

Trying some ideas with the hour glass next.

Continuing with the hourglass theme, here’s a simple draft:

6 Likes

I don’t know if I’ll do anything with it, but this talk of hour glasses inspired me to whip this up:

7 Likes

Continuity, repetition, variety, emphasis, rhythm, economy and balance.

Check those off for every design.

I think we should all critique each others, and even mesh each others’ ideas – I’d love our logo to be just as collaborative as competitive.

I like yours so far Lucas.

I had a vague image in mind that was already somewhat like yours. I don’t know about the flamberge, but I am definitely feeling an upward pointy shape starting around where the star is in your top right image, perhaps with some dramatic emphasis where it points to.

2 Likes

I’ve always appreciated emblems that embed multiple meanings into their visual composition. The TaoZero foundations logo is one I would point to as a visually appealing example.

http://www.tauzero.aero/
ā€œAd astra incrementisā€ – to the stars in ever-expanding steps

There is also a short explanation of the logo on this site.

Essentially, it’s a 3dimensional compass point, with earth in the center, surrounded by our local group of stars. The target point at the end of the incremental dots (which symbolize the steps needed to get to another solar system) represents our first interstellar mission, and the system we visit.
The rings and the glow are also given explanations, but I cannot recall further, and the explanation I read can no longer be found, so this is all from memory :stuck_out_tongue:

Building in meaning with every detail could be something to think about while designing the crest, or patch.

3 Likes

I experimented with a similar shape :slight_smile: Although without the sand inside.

The ā€œwingā€ shapes remind me of the Homeworld logo… my favorite is the bottom one. I kind of dislike the shape of the infinity sign and the infinity-sign itself. Maybe if it can get a 3-dimensional look where you can see that it is actually a loop floating in space… that could be interesting and even unique. I think the main reason why I like the bottom variant the most is because it stretches in the height, not width… and this long ā€œbattleshipā€ sihouette looks solid and give a nice contrast to the more elegant wings.

2 Likes

And it’s manly, very, going through those wings like that and it even hints at a love given by a motherly uterus, a new birth almost :wink:

I prefer the one with the star @LucasFIN.

2 Likes

Hi,
I would like to participate as well :]
First try:

I’m not sure if it’s wise to add the Inovae logo to this one, but anyway

2 Likes