Art Challenges for Infinity Fan Art (Challenge 4 - An Infinity Short Story - Ended! - Winner: ThornEel!)

Do you guys have a revised/final list yet, @INovaeKeith?

No we’ve been focusing on getting the videos finished, we’ll get back to it soon.

3 Likes

I think leave it open - Just something set in the Infinity universe.

1 Like

2000 words feels short, but that could be a good exercise. Having a short, complete text is actually often an extra challenge. Maybe make it more of a target? It’s not like we should reject a 2006 words text, eh?
And without a target, some of us may go a bit overboard :smile:

Whether free or specific, I would go either way. In fact, my mind is already starting to ponder at some ideas…

Edit: scrap that, let’s go for free - I know exactly what I want to write!

Challenge 4 - An Infinity Short Story

A short story it is then! I hope we get a large attendance for this particular competition since I know from all those awesome RP posts in the Wolf Games that we have a large pool of talented writers here!

Challenge category: Fan stories

Time: 2 months (until Sunday 20th of September)

Requirements:

A short story based in the Infinity universe with preferably 2000 words. It is not a hard limit but contestants should keep their stories at least below 2500 to qualify.

Check the original lore and timeline for inspiration:

Contestants:

Submissions:

Use this separate thread for the submissions:

1 Like

How about “contestants should keep their stories at least below 2500 if they want the deadline extended, anything arriving in the next 2 months can be War and Peace”? Would be an interesting exercise.

Of course you’ll still want to stick to a sub-2000 word story if you want to win. I mean, I’ll read through anything up to 200k words as long as it’s half decent (just please mention that it’s that long before I start reading, prefer my Kindle over the current forum theme), but even if it’s the best thing I’ve ever read, and the only submission to the competition, I absolutely will post TL;DR as the reason I voted for someone else.

I have no problems with longer stories. I will probably read them anyway. But I would keep a limit for qualified stories to make them more digestible for the audience and voters.

By the way. Everyone who wants to join the challenge please make a post with a bolded

I’m in

Even if you already hinted about participating before the challenge was announced.

1 Like

I’m in

I’d like a specific theme for the story, especially given that we don’t have a defined lore for the game. Do we just use whatever we can remember from the old forums as the basis of the story? I dropped two stories when the developers were trying to assemble a writing team. I can easily just post one of those.

1 Like

I think the latest published version of the lore and everything we used to know about the Infinity universe has to work as a basis for the story since that’s all we got.

I got the sense that people would prefer an open and undefined theme as long as it’s based in the Infinity universe. But for those who prefer a specific theme I would suggest that defining battle in the great Delta - Star Fold war (I’ve forgot the name of the battle but I recall it was a cool one).

No graphics? Ok I’ll try, no promises though.
It was a dark and stormy night…

2 Likes

I take that as an “I’m in:wink:

Sounds fun.

I’m in

1 Like

I kinda like this idea…

I’m in

So for those of us who don’t remember the lore too well, is there a wiki of information we can read up on? I just remember that deltan are ultra militaristic and the starfold is the industrial faction and not much more than that…

1 Like

I have a lot of lore filed away from when I was leading the story team. However I understand a lot of that lore is changing for various reasons and it could be damaging to a submitted story’s integrity to use it. Unless a dev team member can provide some current lore (don’t hold your breath as they have more pressing priorities) it’s probably best to write a fairly generic story that can fit with the media that has already been publicly released.

I don’t think it really matters if a fan story turns out to be inconsistent with official lore that gets published later. For now it’s just a bit of fun.

I have some stuff on my PC but its boxed up for a few weeks while I’m moving

I’m in.

1 Like

I even had a title for this one bit: Vae Victoris
But nope, I’m definitely doing something else. I just don’t see how the conclusion to something as epic as the Star Fold independence war can be summed up in 2000 words :smile:

And of course, I’m in

1 Like

I’d love to but I won’t be participating, no time. I’m really looking forward to reading what you guys put together. I’ve got some topic suggestions though :wink:

1. Archaeological team working in a fringe system comes across odd artifact, (planetary or in deep space) of unknown origin.

2. Experimental FTL Drive, or Regular FTL drive failure, leaving the ship suspended in FTL “Space” - Exploring the psycological impact such an event would have on passengers, and how, if possible, could they escape their eventual fate?

5 Likes

Hush Hutchings, don’t give away my general theme to everyone.

Also I’m in

reads through the second suggestion and sighs
… dammit …

3 Likes