FTFY…well maybe not on your calendar anyway
ah, thanks for the tip, thought it was a stock 3-years ^^
Yeah, I remember reading some of his posts and thought they were, well, slightly off the mark. lol. But I think a message can be sent with a simple month or 2 month ban as it may very well achieve the same desired results as a 3 month ban. Besides, who here has not had a brainfart? Personally, I think we should be somewhat more tolerant. That said, the Devs are trying to build a game; why should their time be spent dealing with conflicts and forum etiquette. Tough call but in the final analysis, game development is a business first and foremost so can’t find too much fault with Flavien’s decision. After many years of gaming, I have found that ‘Community’, so often bandied about by developers, is in reality a meme that is used to galvanize support - it’s not a community in the true sense of the word, and I can live with that - now. 
Considering the core of the community here hadn’t been asked for any form of support for the better part of a decade, I wouldn’t say I-Novae’s quite in the same league as the devs you’re talking about. 
If you’re addicted to gaming (and IRN4L made it quite clear he is with those last two posts… and somehow feels that makes every other gamer in the world one too) you probably shouldn’t be associating yourself with gaming forums anyway, or pushing for a way to earn a living by playing games.
This is probably the best thing for him in all seriousness.
? Supporters here have been asked for support, which is why we gave them money so I’m not sure what you mean. And sure, he is obsessed and has an agenda, but he needs to come to that realization - we can’t do it for him.
You make some valid points. It probably would have been enough to ban him for a shorter period. But then there is the thing with irn4l getting banned on multiple other boards for doing the exact same thing. The question is: Should your actions in board A influence decisions made by the staff in board B or not? Is there maybe a threshhold (of similar actions across a certain number of boards of similar communities/interest groups leading to similar actions by the staff of those boards) where your actions become relevant?
It reminds me of another case, where a user (let’s call him X) was harassing another user (Y) in board A. X got warned in A to cease any harassment, or a ban would follow. So X went to B where Y was also registered, and started harassing Y there. When the staff of A caught wind of it, they banned X on A (and X also got banned on B for harassment).
I agree though, everyone has a brainfart every now and then (I know I do), so one brainfart shouldn’t be too damning. However, I find it to be a tough call in irn4ls case, as he seems to have the same brainfart over and over again, over the course of years and across multiple boards. He should’ve realized by now, that his behaviour isn’t suitable for any online forum, after getting banned multiple times for said specific behaviour. Doesn’t mean that he has to stop looking for people who share his world views about gaming (there are people who play entropia universe after all). But he should know by now, that he isn’t talking for all gamers, and that him being a dick doesn’t bode well with the commmunities. It seemed that he had learnt something when he requested his own ban, but apparently he didn’t.
Tolerance is a good thing, no doubt. Then again, I think that given irn4ls history, most people here were tolerant to a reasonable degree.
I hope it is somewhat understandable what I am trying to say, my head is kinda mush right now.
He’s also been visiting the irc, doling out even less coherent streams of nonsense and rudeness than here on the forums. He’s bragged about being banned from every space game’s irc and forums, meaning I-Novae is late to the party on this one.
I advocate very lenient moderation in general but we’re far past even very vaguely defined lines being crossed.
@zen people on these forums have been around 10~ years now, thats a long time before being asked for anything.
You are perfectly understandable and reasonable. I didn’t realize he has been banned multiple times, although I am not big on judging people for their actions on other boards, especially ones that may also have their share of fanboys who get away with much more than non-fanboys, it does give you pause. At any rate, this case is probably an anomaly given his history.
Yes a long time but still being asked. And that’s alright or I wouldn’t be here. Also, this is going to have to be one of those very rare occasions where we agree…he sounds like he needs access to a psychologist - not forums.
We’re quite particular about not banning people unless we absolutely have to. In the last 6 years I think @irn4l is only the 2nd or 3rd person we’ve banned in any capacity and he is the only one that wasn’t permanently banned. The last before him was good ole @Indicable.
Oh you guys, I love it! Only the Infinity community could have a thorough and sincere debate about someone getting banned! 
There is always side research into the collateral effects of said streams of consciousness, such as the unwilling participants developing a pavlovian facepalm response. :3
He wasn’t only banned for the 2 posts here, but also for his previous behavior, just check his post history. There’s nothing constructive ( or hell, even coherent ) in it.
He was already warned by Keith a few months ( a year ? ) ago IIRC.
A ban of a few years should be enough for him to mature a bit, if he’s indeed 12. Hence the arbitrary 3 years ban. I didn’t think a few months would be enough for him to change.
And warned? Holy molly! Ban is appropriate. Ah to be 12 again. lol.
In most places, this would have been his third or fourth ban. His behaviour has bordered on harassment, and his ideas boil down to “I think I would make money playing in a real money economy, so you should make the game that way”.
The sexist thread topic alone would be enough for me to kick him to the curb. Ain’t nobody got time to parent him.
I figured he meant ‘A game like No Man’s Sky’, just being incredibly lazy with his use of words and punctuation. At least before you posted that.
This was how I read it at first as well, but I can definitely see the other interpretation now.
I suppose. Unfortunately the pavlovian facepalm response has been documented quite thoroughly. The divergent results usually leave you with two resulting categories in the end.
One group rectifies their response naturally owing to the continued pain response outweighing the mental response. This leaves them numb and they typically don’t give two shits about anything that is said on the internet anymore.
The other group, however, inflicts sufficient damage to remove all nerve activity in their faces, which leads to continued facepalming activities.
In the intermediate term, this leads to well documented difficulties with breathing culminating in nasal voices, often leading other people to view them as nerds, dorks, or pre-pubescent gamers. This effect has contributed to the development of the Lateral Internet Caste Society (LICS), where everyone fervently believes they are better than everyone else, and only equal to people who agree with them.
Over the long term, continued damage inflicted by facepalming leads to a now common form of PTSD wherein individuals become “triggered” at the mere sight or sound of sentences or syllables synonymous with stupid. This often causes victims to roll their faces across their keyboards repeatedly. At this point, the computer steps in and translates these cryptic entries with the help of three modern A.I. innovations known as spell check, grammar check, and auto-correct. Sample responses usually contain a noun, an object, and some action that you suggested to your significant other while drunken texting late one weekend. Oddly enough, the action tends to have the least amount of variation among all test subjects.
Unfortunately, the nouns and objects are usually trigger words for other facepalm trauma sufferers. This has been shown to lead to accelerating cascade events where subjects are seen engaging in ritual epilepsy on their keyboards. A well-documented event was known as “Gamersgate,” of which there are still ripple effects to this day. People for the Ethical Treatment of Keyboards (PETK) deplore the fact that over 3 million keyboard replacements were ordered during the intervening months. Also the People for the Ethical Treatment of Neurons (PETN) estimate that over a septillion neurons were savagely massacred during that event - a number that has been hotly disputed as most researchers point out that most of those neurons were clearly already dead. Lastly, the People for the Ethical Treatment of A-holes (PETA) sheltered 357,000 trolls on their forums because they were being ignored or otherwise outclassed by the event.
I myself was hoping to document the inception of one of these cascade scenarios, before it was overtaken by a public Neuron Protection Response (NPR). I was quite disappointed, but I learned much from my research. One thing I recommend to any fellow researcher is to wear protection while practicing your tradecraft.
At one point, I fell into the trap of becoming the subject of my own research. I too began facepalming all over my keyboard to the point where the QWERTY keys became embedded on my face and the die color faded to a loose shade of purple. I thought nothing of it until a chance encounter with a humanoid creature with a green DVORAK emblazoned on its face. Before I was able to deliver an appropriate amount of sneering derision, the creature shrieked and chased me all across town. I managed to get away, but the fear had snapped me back to my senses. As a result, I now wear a helmet with face guard every time I surf the internet. Everyone should wear protection on the internet. Everyone.
TL:DR Research is hard, mkay?
I have no words.