Time to spread the word! (Evangelism Kit)

I detest having to create an account just to look at something.

1 Like

That’s ok. No need to, its just me posting the quotes from my idea earlier today. I don’t know why but I think the SC forums stop linking to a comment in a thread unless your logged in. A member showed me how to bypass it but I forget.

I wanted to help the weekend peeps find the CR post.

3 Likes

Don’t worry, It’s actually more like you having to create an account to NOT look at something. :wink:

1 Like

I posted KS update 8 on the I:B threads on SC and ED forums.

1 Like

I’ve posted the stream on /r/gaming, head over there to answer questions and to upvote so more people get to see the stream.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming

Search for “Dogfights, amazing technology and pretty planets; Infinity: Battlescape developer stream is live now!” without the quotation marks

//mentioned it here since maybe not everyone watches every post

2 Likes

Some interesting posts on the ED forums tonight, what would be your replies?

  • I’m torn as I love the work they’ve done on the engine, and I’ve been
    following the progress on it for years, but the game they’ve actually
    pitched just doesn’t interest me in the slightest. :?
  • Same for me.
    Love the engine, but not the game.
  • Aye. Engine looks great but they are not only late to the party - they also got the wrong address, so to say. Fact that they are struggling to raise measly 300k, let alone those stretch goals, tells me that people are not particularly excited about their idea to build “just” a shooter on this otherwise amazing tech.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150306&page=31

  1. I don’t believe they would have been able to reach a higher goal even if they pitched some other game.
  2. If you want to support the engine, support Infinity: Battlescape. A few dollars will go a long way to develop the engine even more and to bring I-Novae into a position where they can make more games but also show that the engine can actually make games, which will be a big argument when trying to sell engine licenses.
1 Like

There’s definitely a market for an arena space shooter. Get a Star Wars license and name is X-Wing vs TIE Fighter 2 and watch the money flood in.

That market just isn’t hearing about the game.

4 Likes

Personally I think the actual planned gameplay isn’t being described well enough or attractively enough.

People are seeing the random pew pew in the prototype videos and thinking ‘meh’.

I agree but it’s the developers who need to enthusiastically describe the gameplay while leaving details to the imagination. Fans describing it just sounds like wishful thinking fanboys.

“At a set interval each mining facility will spawn a ship that will fly to the nearest base. If it gets there the team get some credits that they can spend on new ships/equipment. Your objective is to destroy the other teams’ ships and infrastructure to cut off their supply of credits.”

While this is an accurate summary, it’s very boring and sterile and doesn’t leave much room for imagination. It’s not going to convince anyone with reservations about the gameplay to pledge.

“You’re part of the defence department of a huge industrial mining corporation sent in to secure entire solar systems against rival corporations.
After being inserted via carrier at the beginning of the match, you and your team comprising hundreds of players should establish bases in strategic positions while beginning to hunt down the enemy!
Defend your mining facilities and manufacturing infrastructure to maintain an income of credits enabling you to build bigger ships and access various weapons and equipment with which you can configure your load-out to suit your style.
Should you defend your mining facility or mount a surprise raid against an enemy moon? Scout a planet’s surface for enemy bases or establish orbit and power down to catch attackers by surprise?”
Skirmishes of small craft between the three teams will evolve into massive capital ship fleet engagements the likes of which wouldn’t be out of place in a galaxy far far away…"

Etc, etc. is far more appealing and gets peoples imaginations going about potential gameplay.

5 Likes

Scott Manley - "I’ve been playing the barebones prototype and there’s lots to recommend"

For those wondering, Scott made this comment in the comments section of the [CR note from the chairman][1].

As used in my post here on the ED forums below, same as the one made a few days back on the SC forums.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150306&p=3063739&viewfull=1#post3063739

The comment Scott made:


[1]: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15037-Note-From-The-Chairman-Infinity-Battlescape

Great stuff! I’ve already been talking this project up at work. Now I can point to a great info source summary…thanks!

1 Like

Really like that revamp. A little lengthy tough. Here’s my spin on it.

“War for profit has erupted. Lift off alongside hundreds of allies and bring down the hammer on the opposing corporations. Sneak up on their bases with your elite bomber squad, defend resource transports with nimble interceptors, command a cruiser raining down death onto enemy installation and take part in truly massive fleet battles with hundreds of pilots.”

I know most of the message about the actual function of game-play is lost. But this is an exert from what would thrill me. The info should be hashed in there in some way too.

1 Like

Yes, the new format is much improved.

See the new combat montage video yet? :smiley:

8 Likes

Best video yet!

My next idea is a long shot, and crazy. But it’s got a thread of logic to it also. Might have legs if someone with facebook/instagram etc can help out.

Hit Vin Diesel up with a post on his facebook and Intergram pages (no twitter that I know of), or how ever you post on those things. Maybe some photoshop of the Entering the Helion Prime atmosphere shots in the ship/just outside the ship, and some I:B background. Or I:B cockpit and outside the windows the iconic shots of Helion Prime just after breaking the atmosphere

Breaking the Helion Prime atmosphere can now be experienced in Infinity:Battlescape.
A realistic space sim with seamless planetary transitions. Riddicks shitty little cutter.

Entering the Helion Prime atmosphere can now be experienced in Infinity:Battlescape.
A realistic space sim with seamless planetary transitions. A ship Riddick can call his own.

my fav…

Breaking atmosphere on Helion Prime can now be experienced in Infinity:Battlescape.
Whose ship is this? A ship Riddick can call his own. A realistic space sim with seamless planetary transitions.

Something like this. The kickstarter link and the official planetary transitioning video.

Maybe work these two line thing down some more to better attention grabbing words…

In Pitch Black he never flew the ship thru the atmosphere, so its gotta be Chronicles of Riddick (one of my fav films) when he steals the ship and heads for Helion Prime, then enters the Helion Prime atmosphere.

space, little cutter ship, etc, some lose fun logic there.

All Vin would have to do is comment back ‘that looks cool’ and his zillions of followers would maybe go take a peak as see what its about. ? fuzzy logic ?

So, just a small % of his fans went and checked the KS and video out, some will convert to pledges for sure naturally.

Vin (riddick) entering the Helion Prime atmosphere - entering the atmosphere in Infinity: Battlescape

2 Likes

To what (sub)genre does Infinity:Battlescape belong to?

People seems to like put labels on new games so they can categorize it with only a few words. Because I:B is such a revolutionary one-of-a-kind game, I think we need to invent a new category. :wink:

I often read the description “just an other space sim”, which is unfavourable, because it is obviously for many people that Inovae Studios has not the funding to make a better clone of a tipple-A-title yet.
An other common label is “sandbox space game”, witch seems only better at the first glance. In sandbox games you can do what ever you want, because the game provides no clear goal; which is a very good description of Elite, Star Citizen and maybe I:TQFE (as well as for Kerbel, Space Engineer and No Man Sky) but not so for I:B.
In the past some devs have called I:B an “arena shooter in space” to distinguish it from the “mmo” I:TQFE. The problem is “Arena” suggests small levels, and while a single solar system is smaller than a whole galaxy, it is still a poor description for the game with the biggest levels ever.
Planetside calls itself a “mmofps” to separate itself from smaller shooters, but this didn’t work for Infinity and other space games.

The only therms I could think of where “space-war-game”, which sounds kind of negative for me, or my favourite “team-based space-combat-simulation”. How would you categorize the game?

True-scale space combat game?

Combat because it is not just a shooter. You will also have capital ship management, objectives, and an economic aspect. Not war, because that implies a larger strategic dimension, to many FTP games with war in the title, and silly browser games combining some variants of space and warfare.

Space and game are obvious.

True-scale refers to:

  1. The game area (true scale star system, planets, moons, rings, asteroids, down to individual bushes and trees on the surface )
  2. The technological artifacts ranging from fighters to capital ships to ground factories, small cities, huge space stations and such, down to weapons selection and ship sub - systems
  3. The different levels of combat “depth” or “layers” present:
  • solo piloting ( moment to moment gameplay level, e.g. manouvering, aiming, shooting, evading, power management, navigation ),
  • squadron gameplay ( tactical level, e.g. formation flight, target coordination, covering fire, squadron ship & weapons mix, engaging and disengaging together, rotating ships between fighting and repairing ),
  • economic and army sized coordination ( strategic level, coordination of multiple squadrons, pre-planning of production and investment, fleet composition, strategic target selection )
1 Like

“Spaceship MMOFPS”

1 Like