The Windows 10 Thread

If you’re going for a Linux gaming rig, why not SteamOS?
Alternatively, go for Debian Testing (drivers might be difficult for this one)
Or if you like the ideas of a Windows-like experience, go for Linux Mint

But remember that Ubuntu is run by a business, and care little for your privacy

1 Like

I’ll be honest I didn’t even think about the distro I’d be using until right now. Good point.

While I’ve never looked into it, I feel like I wouldn’t want to use SteamOS for the same reason you don’t recommend Ubuntu. :wink:

Although I do hear because SteamOS has 3 capitals it means halflife 3 confirmed and users get an early preview…

3 Likes

The main difference is that Valve’s core market is digital distribution and Canonical (Ubuntu) has no real core market yet, so it does a fair share of advertising

I was just reading through some Ubuntu news. As far as I understand, the only data-collection was done via the Dash Search, which you could opt-out if you wanted. Is/was this the case?

Also, this: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/01/ubuntu-online-search-feature-disabled-16-04 might fix it?

It also tried to install “apps” for pretty much every major site you visited. I’m not entirely sure what the implication of that was though, or if they’ve also removed that. Good to see it’s getting cut in 16.04 though.

All the same, I’m still not overly fond of Unity, so I can’t see myself being a full-time Ubuntu user any time soon (although technically I have Ubuntu on my laptop, using Cinnamon)

2 Likes

Interesting. Okay, that clears some things up.

So I assume you are using Debian (on desktop)?

2 Likes

I’m using Linux Mint at work, because it means I get the greater range of packages from Ubuntu without the spyware crap (even if that is no longer an issue). On top of that, Cinnamon makes for a pleasant desktop experience more reminiscent of Windows (but of course without any of the crap Windows comes with these days). Though I’m considering switching to LMDE (the Debian-based variant) when I start using it again at home because it has rolling updates.

It’s definitely the distro I’d recommend for anyone unsure about making the transition from Windows to Linux

2 Likes

I’ve already dabbled in several flavors - Ubuntu, LM, Debian, and one other I can’t recall - back when I was in the ‘linux craze’. But ultimately, it came down to sticking with win 7 just because there wasn’t a whole lot of support for games, but that’s changed significantly now.

I’m considering between Fedora and LM atm, although I’m still going to keep my dual boot to 7.

1 Like

I’d probably suggest sticking with the Debian side, if only because there’s typically better support for user-y kind of things and better availability of packages for applications.

1 Like

Are you saying to stick with fedora or LM?

Well, fedora is very definitely not debian. If by LM you are talking about Linux Mint (just in case you’re suddenly referring to some LM distro I’m not aware of), that one is debian-based

1 Like

Because of driver support for a new machine I’m sort of being forced to use Windows 10. I’ve tried to avoid this due to privacy concerns and was wondering if anyone knew of any utilities that worked to further restrict anything that requires data from me beyond disabling anything in Microsoft’s own menus.

I’d really appreciate it!

tfw i have to install windows 10.

4 Likes

Take a look on Ghacks http://www.ghacks.net for windows 10 posts going back 6 months, there your find lots of privacy guides. And also reviews on all the major privacy and security apps released for win10.

ShutUp10 - from O&O is a good visual UI app which covers just about everything you need.

And a second choice would be **W10Privacy.

Both have good user UI and features.

Hope that helps.

I’m still on windows 7 and using GWX Control Panel to block win10 upgrades.

This thread below is also worth reading.

3 Likes

i love windows 10 with him I feel a monopolist .