The Windows 10 Thread

Really? Phones, tablets, laptops; my friends come over with them all. We do regular hangout-and-work dinners, study groups, thesis writing weekends, etc. Maybe that’s less common in the “real world”, but for people who are still in school, regardless of age, wi-fi sharing is simply taken for granted.

1 Like

Funny thing:
You might know this famous new windows 10 wallpaper (here is the making of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL8BBOwupcI)
When looking on its high res version now, I just realized. That the photographer had no clean sensor. He actually shot some dust on his sensor which also shows that he used a six-blade aperture lens. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I guess we just aren’t the norm then ^^’. Whenever we met to study/work together, we did so in the schools building (since there were always a lot of empty rooms), we visit each other to watch movies, play local multiplayer / board / card games, or to drop our things in one apartment to then go into the city together. A lot of work was done at home anyway, so we ended up meeting just to share/compare our results in the end. Team reports were handled by setting a deadline by which everyone had their part of the report written and then someone just glued everything together.

@Kichae has been a student for a very long time by now, he has the student life perfected, you might be living in his scenarios if you ever decide to continue to your Doctorate.

2 Likes

I do the same thing now and I’m not even finished with my bachelors yet…is it really that odd these days? Everyone visits friends houses and uses their WiFi whether its with their phones or laptops.

1 Like

I have had some odd issues with some Start menu apps interfering with full-screen games and causing them to minimise. Stealing focus seemed to be the problem, since it was cured when I cleared most of the apps from the menu! Anyone else found this?

The start menu is stealing focus? No, I haven’t found that. I also haven’t had Metro apps that haven’t been launched stealing focus. I have had some problems with Metro apps just crashing whenever I launch them, but that’s about it.

Turns out the Start Menu thing was just a coincidence. After a lot of troubleshooting, it turns out it was simply because I was trying to run the games in lower than native resolution.

Of course, I have to do that because it’s a 1080p 13" screen, which means if I run them at native, text and UIs are tiny! Still, at least temporarily changing the resolution through right-clicking the Intel HD icon works.

It seems to be a really random issue though. Sometimes the games will change resolution perfectly by themselves. Other times, they load then immediately minimise because they can’t cope! It’s not easy to replicate - hence my trouble… er… troubleshooting.

EDIT: nevermind, I had to open it in admin mode.

I’ve just installed 10. While installing 7zip I noticed that .zip, .rar, 7zip file associations etc don’t exist for Win10. I take it these are locked out now??
I tried both through 7zip itself and also through Default Apps settings but they just can’t be changed. It must be a security thing??

No, they can be changed. You may have to run 7zip as admin to change the associations from within 7zip, though.

Win10 users! I’m debating upgrading from win8 to win10 on my laptop. Should I do it? What do you think that it’s had time to be broken in?

Is it just as bad as 8? Should I stick with my Ubuntu partition permanently and give up windows on my laptop? I abhor 8 so much that I would upgrade, but I want to make sure I’m not upgrading to a worse product.

I like win10. If you’re on win8 then I highly recommend upgrading.

I’ve been using Windows 10 since it was released. I did have a look at some of the previous builds prior to its release date but nothing in depth.

It has been a joy to use really, unlike Windows 8/8.1 which I, and many of my users at work, loathe with a passion. All of those who have since seen Windows 10 have expressed interest in migrating.

One thing to keep an eye on though, in case the same thing happens to you, is that the system reserved partition, at least for me, was resized as part of the upgrade process. That meant that I could no longer run VSS managed full backups of the disk. I still don’t know why it got changed but basically it ended up getting shrunk to a size where there was not enough space to hold the VSS snapshot and the backup would fail.

Other than that its been great! It even has a cool little Check Point VPN app on the MS store making it very easy to connect to my clustered firewall at work!

I would check out some of the privacy concerns mentioned around Windows 10 before you decide to make the move. A lot of it can be justified as required to make Cortana useful (which you can turn off), but a few bits (like enforced updates) are a bit…eh

3 Likes

I know about some of them. I posted a pic when I started this thread outlining a few. Part of my questioning was to see if they had changed anything since release…apparently the concerns are still there then.

Edit: To be clear, I don’t need cortana I’m perfectly capable of using a pc and doing everything myself so I would definitely turn off every setting I could .

1 Like

My rig is still chugging along just nicely on Win 7 … that I haven’t updated in months. Several months. A year? Yikes, maybe I should update it sometime.

But all my non-gaming activities I do on my macbook, so security wise it’s not a big deal.

2 Likes

My pc runs win7…I’m actually about to get an upgrade for a cpu and switch to Linux. I’ll be able to game on windows through a virtual machine and pass the gpu through. Best of both worlds.

For win10 its for my laptop that I do all my school work in…its almost easier for me to work in Ubuntu now since most of it revolves around arduinos and RPIs lately and the ability to ssh and use vim is priceless. Only reason I need windows on the laptop is Netflix to be honest.

When I manage to scrounge up the cash, I’m going to make some sort of ubuntu rig.

That first part is a doozy for a poor student like me, though. :’(

I’m right there with you! I’m running hand me down hardware from my roommate who’s working full-time and keeps upgrading. Ive watched him use it and its definitely the best of both worlds in my opinion.

All the bullshit of Linux and the gaming of windows!

Edit: fixing grammar.

1 Like

Windows 10 slowed down one of my computers. I’m staying with 7 ultamet (spelling) on this crappy computer. The Alien has 10 and is for gaming only.
Unless you NEED to I wouldn’t.

2 Likes