The only Solar System is where Earth is!

Not all of them. The Vietnamese word for cat is a perfect example.

Words that can travel across continents, oceans and time. Some words can set them selves in other languages and people with a good ear can pick them out.
Thous are generally long words that the lazy ignorant don’t use and don’t alter.

Some people can use the same words for: “Central Australian nomadic Aborigine are a people whose language and lifestyle, have remained relatively unchanged for the past 45,000 years.” https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-oldest-languages-still-in-use-today

Americans don’t even understand there Constitution. A little over 200 years.

" The modern written language (Modern Standard Arabic) is derived from the language of the Quran (known as Classical Arabic or Quranic Arabic). It is widely taught in schools and universities, and is used to varying degrees in workplaces, government, and the media. The two formal varieties are grouped together as Literary Arabic, which is the official language of 26 states and the liturgical language of Islam. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic
English has gotten pathetic. To afraid to tell people when there doing it wrong. Ego is way too important.

Okay, then. I’ll make sure to tell English next time I see her that that’s what you think about her. I hope she doesn’t hold a grudge.

1 Like

The Vietnamese word for cat coming from… where exactly? Which language god bestowed that word upon humanity?

You didn’t answer my question, by the way. WHO decides which words are “proper”? Raving like lunatic and calling people lazy and ignorant doesn’t answer that in the slightest.

Which people, in your mind, are the ultimate arbiters of what is “proper” English, and what isn’t?

Name some names.

2 Likes

Maybe the meanings of the words will change by then and no one will understand it.

Well we used to have teachers who taught vocabulary building. Helping students learn words and understand there meanings.

The Cat God of course. Cats go around saying cat all the time but in Vietnamese.
Umm do you know what an onamonapia is?

Age, acceptance. and the rest of what I said. Perhaps some day noom. (can raving lunatics type?)

Names? I’m horrible on names. So I’ll go by things done. The woman who wrote the book Eats shoots and leaves. It’s about punctuation. I like adding words to the language. After they have been proven. Come out of slang hood.
Altering the meanings of words? That should be punishable by HIGH SCHOOL!!!

The Accadémie Française, of course.

This little, unimportant English language has a lot to learn if it wants to get any kind of widespread use.

A nation that cares about it’s language. Umm fix the spelling first.

Why the fuck is this topic still going?

Did you hear Scott Manly correcting his English!?! That was great. And the discussion on the correct word to use when a light source is getting further away. Is nice to know every one isn’t lazy.

So, if teachers are the authority, and you believe that teachers are no longer teaching this, doesn’t that make it unimportant?

Yes. Yes I do. Do you know how to spell it correctly? Or are you just too lazy to bother?

Also, are you familiar with the amount of cultural influence and relativism that is involved in onomatopoeia? There are often huge discrepancies in how people from different cultures describe different sounds.

You’re starting to sound like a cranky old man who just wants all these new fangled words off of his damn lawn.

And what happens if what people accept changes with time?

Uh huh. What about the author of Introduction to the Grammar of the English Language. Or the entire field of linguistics? Because the study of language itself takes a descriptive approach to grammar.

Most slang is using alternative meanings for already existing words.

[quote=“Bentware, post:69, topic:1117”]
And the discussion on the correct word to use when a light source is getting farther away.[/quote]

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you, too. Also, your hypocrisy is noted.

1 Like

My guess us they’re either having fun trolling each other or they feel the call of duty.

1 Like

I’m honestly just waiting for him to acknowledge that the astronomer may be a better authority on astronomical terminology than him. So, you know, a little bit from column A, and a little bit from column B.

2 Likes

I need to find a way to un-pledge my money from the kickstarter so that I can use it to buy knives with which to stab everybody in this thread.

7 Likes

But we wuv yoo!

2 Likes

I believe too many people just don’t care. and things I have said before.

Got the spelling off dictionary . com… Now I’m wondering about your spelling of it.

ya but the Vietnamese nailed it.

Starting to?
Ok that was just too funny. New words when there are already words just as good? No. New words when a new word is needed? Smurf yes.

For a good reason. The old word is just too long. Ok For a bad reason. Some pathological narcissist needs attention. No.

Were did I imply that that the was the end all and total of books to be read?

Then it goes away. (I liked the '80 slang as it was using words correctly. so not really slang. Awesome)

:smile:

I always said that I can’t spell I use spellchecker and http://dictionary.reference.com/
I don’t know a grammar check.

Not the point. The names are dumb so stop it and use better ones.
Oh look it’s the sun Sun and the moon Moon. Congratulations on a linguistic fail.
Oh no we flue millions of light years across space looking for home is that the sun or the Sun?
When people are talking the capitals can’t be herd.

I know, right? XD

I :heart: people who get into thread solely to complain about it. I have power over them
I can force them to spend TIME on something they don’t like!

I HAVE SUCH POWER over there BRAINS!!! They have no will power of there OWN!!! I OWN THEM!!!

NOW give $130,000 to the Battlescape KICKSTARTER!!! Over and ABOVE what you have already GIVEN!!! NOW!!!

BWA HA HA HA HA!!!

My power GROWS on Halloween!!!

This thread…

2 Likes

:Pstuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

So I guess that gets the 10 count in?