I’m using “Active Texture Management - X86 - Basic”, so that’s the same as you. I also have EVE - High Resolution installed, which ought to take a lot of extra memory! I’m confused as to why my client seems to be taking so much less memory than others
I think you’re right with RealFuels, all simulation is done client side so if you’ve got the wrong RealFuels config your client will search for fuel for the engines and not find anything. We should all be using the same RF config though!
Oh darn, I thought someone above said that the correct version was ticked. I guess I should add a note to the install instructions later.
Next time definitely no RF! It’s very cool as part of the realism overhaul, but once you try to build a more varied modpack it becomes a huge pain in the ass
The next version of KSP is in test at the moment, so we may see a release in a couple of weeks
Welp, I’ve managed to install my modpack such that my game crashes during the loading screen at the start-up. …I’ll do a clean download and see if i can get it working. This is too much work for video games :c
One thought I had after playing last night (I didn’t test this) was that I’ve been working out by Minmus, wheras you guys are working around Kerbin. There is a lot more stuff around there, maybe that’s impacting memory usage? I really doubt it though because physics distance is 5Km, and you’re not likely to be within 5Km of much of that stuff!
Well with the Agressive ATM and -force-opengl, I load at around 2.8GB, once flying it goes up to 3.4GB, crashing a bit less though, but still can’t exit by clicking the close button.
Also I’ve started fiddling with kOS, got a boot script running on my vessels to open my solar panels and comms once above 100km, no more dead ships.
There seems to be updates to some mods and KSP 1.0 is inbound next week?
I know that KSP 1.0 is incoming but so far I haven’t seen a solid date, where did you see “next week”?
Once 1.0 rolls around we can rebuild the modpack, this time with no RealFuels! Also I guess we can hold back on the part packs and add them in slowly, that way people can monitor their memory usage and we can stop growing the pack when appropriate.
Found this today! [Official images of stock fairings, with added resource scanner.][1]. Disappointingly inferior to the mod version we’ve playing with.
Also, if we’re going to weigh in on mods for a future build of KSP, here are a few I’ve enjoyed playing with:
Whichever one does the real-time flight data. Engineer something? The one with the dv totals, craft mass, orbital numbers… It’s magical. Keep it please.
Remote-tech is very fun to play with. I like having functional satellite constellations. More goals, more challenges, more fun.
Gonna stick my neck out for real-fuels, if only for the hydrogen/kerosene/hypergolic choices. It brings a lot more thought into my designs and I like that. Boiloff is actually a really cool mechanic that should be stock. Also, being able to load any kind of tank with any kind of fuel is kind of awesome. (Filling a capsule’s ‘tank’ with electric charge is pretty OP though. My newest Sunfish has a 50,000 charge capacity with no weight penalty!)
Deadly re-entry for reasons similar to above.
Parts packs that I like:
a. Stock-a-like: great stuff. Lots of useful parts and the redesigns look spot-on.
b. KW parts! Their engines fill a bunch of niches, meaning I can better fine-tune my stuff. Also, engine clusters look incredibly badass.
c. Whichever one does the servos. Having a station module I can unfold after the fairing comes off is pretty cool. Motors are something that should absolutely be in stock KSP.
d. Whichever one does the fairings. I like em, they’re great to use.
e. (guilty pleasure) electric engines of some sort. Some are a bit OP (cough VASIMR) , and there are an absurd number of them in our current pack, but having one or two options other than the venerable PB-ION would be nice.
f. Probably something else. There are some parts I’ve already gotten so used to I take them for granted now .
I’m ambivalent to the rest, but some paring down would be nice.
In other news, Camkin Kerman has landed on Pol and has his eyes set on Bop. Mission controllers are doubtful the mission will proceed, however, given fuel consumption data from Camkin’s EVA-powered deorbit, landing, reorbit, and rendezvous. They worry that this combined with Bop’s significantly higher surface gravity may present an unacceptable danger to our hero, especially given that the closest help is years away.
Mission Controllers, unfortunately, are also years away. All eyes are on Camkin. Will he do something shockingly dangerous, like use his Sunfish to attempt to land on Bop? Will he roll the dice and try with the EVA pack? No one knows! [1]: http://imgur.com/IQVp3st,E5QqW6u,gXQpd0D
Kerbal Engineer. Has no Parts so there’s no reason not to keep it.
I really like RT too, I’m inclined to keep it. Anyone really hate it and want it gone?
RF is cool (one of my favourite mods) but it’s an organisational nightmare to make it play nice with all the other mods! It’s gotta go I’m afraid
DR hardly takes any parts and it can be configured client side for difficulty. No reason not to keep it.
Now parts are our real concern. We’re going to have to carefully pick and choose our part packs to stay within memory budget.
Regarding electric engines specifically, they’re actually not that OP. I had to modify all of them myself to make them work with RF and I obviously just choose badly.
I wouldn’t be sorry to see Real Fuels bite the dust! As long as we can still mine ore and turn that into stock fuels, I don’t think we’d be missing much.
Started creating on the server today but had a crash to desktop going back to the VAB.
I know i’ve been pretty absent, schools killin’ me.
Reentry heat is being implemented in 1.0 as fair as I know.
From the little I did play, I only had some issues with RF balance, I don’t mind either way. Whatever is easiest for you martin!
RT and karbonite are essential. Maybe we can try procedural fuel tanks instead of using RF? I’m pretty sure it allows you to choose which fuel is loaded into the tanks, while giving you the option to size them however you want and into fun shapes like spheres, cones, etc.
Many mods will break in 1.0 however, It may take some time for them to update post release.
Is Karbonite essential? Doesn’t 1.0 come with it’s own resource system?
Procedural fuel tanks sounds like a good idea, added that to the suggestions list.
Edit: Are any of you any good at designing planes in KSP? It’s a long time since I last built a plane and I can’t seem to get my landing gear to work correctly on take off, it’s incredibly frustrating! Every time I take off I:
Engage brakes
Activate engines (full throttle)
Wait for a decent amount of thrust
Deactivate brakes
After a short distance down the runway the plane veers off course and inevitably crashes!
Am I doing something wrong with my launch sequence? If not, what design issues should I check for?
1: SAS is very useful during takeoff, if your plane has trouble staying straight.
2: Make sure your landing gear is vertical. if you let it be normal to your fuselage like it is by default, the wheels will try to steer your plane in odd directions if they aren’t all perfectly on the tarmac.