I kinda had an idea for how to implement some bitchin’ team comms without anything too complicated:
- Implement ability to form a squad with a leader.
- Make it so voice comms are filtered so non-leader players only see the squad commands with only the leader being able to see outside this bubble.
- Make it possible for a squad leader to join another squad.
- Make it so a squad leader who is in another squad see only voice coms from member of squad he leads and comms from squad he is part of, with different colors preferably.
- Make it possible for a squad leader to give squad leadership to members of the squad he leads and this change should also drop the former leader from the squad he’s a member in and replace him there with the new leader so the chain of command is preserved.
What you now have is groupings that can chain down to a point where one guy says to attack A and this info can be passed down to a fleet of even a 100 players level by level with any additional things each squad decides are needed. It also makes sure no person alone needs to manage a group larger than say 10 or so people.
Here’s a practical example:
5 cruisers in a group, 1 of them is the leader and we call him an admiral at this point. Each of his cruiser squad mates lead groups where they each command 3 destroyers. Every destroyer player in those groups leads a group with 1 corvette, 1 bomber and one inty. Each of those small ships are leaders of corvette/inty/bomber wings.
Each circled group of ships is indeed a group of players, group leaders have colored corners on their symbols.
You have yourself a nested lil fleet that has encapsulated communication not only as a whole but to literally chain of command levels. It would be up to players to see what level of nesting is optimal and how big each squad should be.