There were discussions about this in the old forums (lomsor.com restored thread) and I believe at the time that Battlescape wasn’t annouced. Still in Battlescape it would still be as useful as it would be the Infinity MMO. Perhaps this feature may be set as a stretch goal for the Kickstarter campaign.
There has been significant progress in the area of voice synthesis since Microsoft Sam. While the artificial nature may still be felt, it can be practically eliminated when adding voice modifying effects.
TTS could read information useful for gameplay purposes (awareness).
Advantages of using TTS include:
- Not requiring to hire a professional voice actor as a ship computer narrator
- Reading player usernames
- Reading default and custom names players give to their space ships
- Reading default and custom ranks specified by players
- Reading default and custom mission objectives
- Relaying ship status
- Reading chat and ingame messages
- Players having the ability to customize their ship commanders voice. Who wouldn’t want their own CABAL (samples extracted from Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun(Youtube).
Example scenario. Player joins team “Clan” against team “Axis”, both custom faction names.
TTS read Text:
Welcome back, Captain (custom rank) Sha-bai-yev (phonetic username).
In the last 37 hours (time past since last login) the Axis (faction name) have conquered extra 30%(custom amount) of our planet Beta (Default planet name) from 10%. The Khan (Highest rank of Clan faction) is ordering all free units to defend Planet Beta’s starbase, ISS Infinity (Custom name).
The Clan’s (other team name) Star Colonel (Custom rank), Figel Ratovsky (username), has promoted you to rank, Star Commander. Congratulations, Commander Shabeyev.
Star Colonel’s message reads: “Rusty-Duzel is AFK. I need you dude!” (chat message)
Distance to ISS Infinity, 500 kilometres. 300. 100. Now arriving. Local Axis forces consist of 10 fighters (amount of type of ship), 3 corvettes and a frigate.
Seventh fleet (custom fleet name) has arrived with IBS Ogre (custom ship name).
Star Colonel has a new mission for your squad:
Primary Objective: Destroy the main Mark III turret (component on ship) on FTD Tyrant (custom ship name).
Plain IVONA, now a subsidiary of Amazon, Amy voice (British English):
Mechanized voice, GoldWave expression evaluator function:
Note: These audio samples were create only for demonstration purposes and should not be reused anywhere else.
- Extra coding rather than requesting the voice actor to record samples
- TTS may read words we may find as obscene and silly… Dude!
- Extra resources(CPU, storage) consumed on player’s PC