Second beta week-end now CLOSED - 0.3.5.0 feedback thread

But energy weapons are most effective against shields and kinetic is best against armour, so I want to keep hammering with energy weapons until the target’s shields go down, then switch to kinetic.
In my short session yesterday I found I rapidly ran out of energy, and my style is very much to snipe at the lead indicator, not rapid fire at all.

I think the energy/heat system should prevent players from simply spamming their weapons, but if it’s annoying players who are shooting conservatively then that’s too much.

I think the boost should be on it’s own energy supply.

Here’s my two credits regarding too many bars/meters and general tidying:

  • I think there’s no need for the speed bar when we have the numeric readout.
  • As has been said before, there is no need for the numbers of the shield, armour and energy. Recharge rates can be shown as a percentage.
  • The energy, heat, shield and armour bars can start really transparent and get more opaque based on their value.
  • When segmented shields are implemented that display will have to be redesigned anyway.
  • There’s no need for the Altitude readout unless you’re within say 200% of the altitude of the atmosphere, or you have a planet targeted.
  • Heat can be displayed by colouring the weapon (top left) rather than as a bar.
  • Get rid of the ⌜⌞⌝⌟ corners around the weapons.
  • Change the P, S, M to 1, 2, 3.
  • Make all icons positives, not negatives. Eg currently the following icons are positives: Shield, Armour, Speed, Energy, Heat, Power. And these are negatives: P, S, M, Chaff, Assist, Credits.
4 Likes

I’d keep the speed bar but maybe for warp only as there it is actually useful.

2 Likes

I wrote that then deleted it… Even in warp I just use the relative speed under the target.

2 Likes

It would be more useful out of warp if its top was at something like 10km/s. Anything above would just leave the bar topped out. I more often reach relativistic speeds in warp then I do go above 10km/s out of warp. (Edit: my feeling tricked me there … it’s pretty alright)

I very seldom use the numerical absolute speed readout. Relative speed, yes …
Having a bar for that would be pretty sick. Much more usefull and much more often changing Information.
Or a combo one. No target. Absolute. Target. Relative. Ehhh … pretty complex again now.

1 Like

Why delete your post? Your thoughts add to the discussion.

3 Likes

Didn’t feel like they were substantial enough to warrant them being there but you are right. Yeah.

1 Like

I really prefer the visuals of the bar to tracking a number tho. And what if you are not going after a target while in warp, then there is no relative speed indicator.

3 Likes

I didn’t spend a lot of time with the game during this beta weekend, but did notice some things that could be addressed.

  • Scan lines now appear to be alright for the HUD elements that are in foreground, but still distort the in-world writing and icons way too much.
  • The Press [J] to engage warp message should repeat every few seconds when over the warp velocity instead of just disappearing, at least a few more times.
  • I would deduct credits for Friendly Fire, very little, but enough to discourage friendly fire.
  • In-world HUD indicators need a planet check, really everyone is always on the other side of the planet and it’s a lot of wasted time and effort with a feeling of being cheated on top of it.
  • Speed settings when using the mouse wheel have way too many stops, the current ticks on the speed setting should be one notch on the mouse wheel (currently it feels like there are 100 notches), if needed the last 2 or 3 ticks on the speed bar can be more granular and be 2 or 3 wheel notches.
  • The small docks inside the hangar are not easy to identify, since they are inside the hangar, I would make a blue outline on the hangar entrance that’s visible from outside the station.
  • Current objective means nothing, I have no idea where the objectives are, current objective should be blatantly obvious, right now the procedure is to note the objective, then spin the ship all over the place to try and find the corresponding indicator, which sometimes won’t even be shown because of overlapping indicators.
11 Likes

I remember pledging full price for this game…project back in 2015. I forgot about it for a while and now that I’m checking in I’m surprised Lunar supporters still don’t have access. I feel like this is one of those projects that gets abandoned eventually.

Actually, the game is well on it’s way for a beta release, we’ll be seeing it perhaps even by the end of this quarter.

3 Likes

The Beta will be released by the end of this quarter, the exact release date will be announced within the next day or two.

6 Likes