Rough draft for our Kickstarter reward tiers

Well, we could say that the advert has to be approved by the devteam and the ad itself has to fall within the confines of the lore, but then ofc that makes the whole idea very unattractive for $10k. Unless there was a way to make the in-game advert tongue-in-cheek lore-wise hinting at the real life corporation, this lore-friendly ad would then lead players (if they so choose) to the real web for the advert. However, if I was in a marketing team of a prospective backer corporation looking at that $10k reward, I’d balk at not being able to have my actual real life ad directly displayed, visually, in the game.

1 Like

I think you should be very careful with wording of such limitation and that it should be included somewhere on the KS page. You really can’t decide who pledges for that tier and it might open up a huge can of worms with the pledging company, you also can’t expect some marketing guy that wants his $10k banner for a sausages website to be as logical and reasonable as you when it comes to ā€œconfines of the loreā€ game content. I don’t even wanna mention pr0n.

Or… you could make the billboards destructible (after all, they are in the game) and allow private servers to pick and choose what to display (so the lore-friendly ā€œCoca Spacolaā€ ads would likely get more views than ā€œenlargeyourmanhood.czā€). Realistically you’d have a very hard time stopping people from stripping out the ads they can’t be bothered watching anyway.

This would, of course, lead to instant emergent gameplay where Something Awful and 4chan has a competition destroying respectively ā€œenlargeyourmanhood.czā€ and ā€œherbalpillshere.tkā€ ads.

Also: please don’t turn ads into links that open up in 3rd party browsers. If you want to make an in-game browser for the ads, cool, go for it, but I do NOT want to get tabbed out to firefox because I accidently clicked an ad in-game.

I think a big thing for me is, I don’t want to put Ā£350 in for Battlescape, then a year down the line have to put another Ā£350 in for a potential full MM.

Would you be able to put a tier on to secure like Alpha/Beta access on for potential future developments? Maybe not full access to the game, but maybe an early bird special?

We have discussed this yes, some kind of access to future Infinity related projects.

2 Likes

I personally don’t like real ads in games, it was just an idea on our rough draft etc. I have all the same concerns as you guys do about it.

2 Likes

The billboards can be on a rotating basis, perhaps, so theres a billboard next to every station and it constantly rotates between everyone’s ads. This could also let you lower the price on them but offer more, and make them more believable in-game.

1 Like

I want three copies of the game and one beta, not the extra ā€œall of the aboveā€. (Depending on finances, three copies for sure.)

I would think Lynex would be a tier offer.

You can be certain that it’ll be a lot more than a year down the line. Maybe 5 at the earliest if this KS goes totally amazingly?

1 Like

Pretty key point there, and a reason I’ll be enlisting minions in the near future. Although, I’m sure many of you will be advocates of the project anyways :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I’d like to do that, but that would more be courtesy when the time comes, and wouldn’t be mentionned during Battlescape’s KS. If I remember well, KS rules state that you can’t have rewards that aren’t directly tied to the project and that may eventually not happen in the future, there’s too much of a legal risk.

1 Like

The backer ship skins will be non-compulsory, right? Not going to be linking my forum account up with a badge either.

Hope my fears are completely unfounded with this community, but I’m not changing my standard policy on anything that has a chance of splitting one.

So what you’re saying is if your pledge qualifies for the skins and forum badge you don’t actually want them?

2 Likes

Yep, I’m odd. :slight_smile:

1 Like

To be honest, I only want to give money as well… I don’t even have a descent pc to play this game on. I am just very interested in how Battlescape might develop, and eventually leading to a real infinite universe generator where we need to find earth. I have no interest in fighting, only exploring, but I see the need for an interim project before making that happen.

3 Likes

You can pledge without selecting a reward. Or pledge more then the minimim ammount of the reward selected. So if you don’t wan’t it … you don’t need to ger it.

1 Like

I don’t see what you’re fearing about the vanity fair: this is not the root cause of a community split. Certainly not a simple badge or a ship skin that you get as well-defined reward.
But well, you’re odd, I’ll give you that :stuck_out_tongue:

While I don’t believe badges and/or skins cause community split, I’m still unsure as to whether I’ll want to ā€˜activate’ them if I had them.

If they’re purely for vanity and bragging then I’m not interested.

I’d use a forum badge if it informed other forum members of something useful regarding their interaction with me. Eg if I answer a question about gameplay or control scheme etc, and they can see by my badge that I have access to the nightlies, then they can infer that I have more knowledge about the current direction of development than someone without that badge.

Regarding skins, I’d choose from those available to me based on their aesthetics alone. If one essentially said ā€˜Look at me! I’m special (because I paid to be).’ then I’d be less inclined to use it.

3 Likes

So, which kickstarter tier will unlock the dark theme for this forum?

5 Likes

There is a bit of infighting about the dark theme. I would like it dark, others on the team want it light. We will likely go with a medium grey :slight_smile:

4 Likes