We here have much higher standards. Which means we’ll have Venetian blinds for the cockpit and null-g cup holders (Velcro walls).
Clearly you mean Venusian blinds.
They are much better than curtains…
I love the way walls of CO2 and sulfuric acid attenuates the Sun in the morning.
Clearly I do. Its obvious that the first thing any civilized society must do upon colonizing Venus is to create their own style of blinds. It’s heresy to do otherwise.
It’s okay as long as it doesn’t get out of control like it did in star citizen where they used them as stretch goals. In my opinion they’re a waste of time for the devs and artists. I can’t fathom how intelligent individuals such as yourself and some others (seriously, the stuff some of you post and used to post in the old forums is way beyond me) enjoy these memes and entertain all these silly ideas.
I’m only speaking for myself, but its relaxing to be silly after a day of working on 2 or 3 problems cumulating 6-8 hours of my day.
The whole reason doe me to play games is to relax after being serious for so long…and if I don’t get a googly eyed asteroid bobblehead(with options for bearded or not depending on my mood!) in my cockpit I will mod it in myself. I’d just rather give inovae more money to increase the chance of success. Its the subtle jokes that I like the most.
Just my .02 isk.
I am all good with that, especially the self-modding part. I would just rather not see any great development focus on this, other than providing the means to make the mods in a reasonable capacity.
More focus on those unique stars, right!? That’s what my money is going toward, anyway.
Just need to get that Dropkickstarter going.
Actually I’d rather not have multiple stars in Battlescape. A single system with multiple planets (and planet like moons with their own ring systems) will provide more than enough space for every single gamemode (and terrain tileset) ever invented, and the benefit of having the nearby star be a slightly different shade of “too bright to be seen as anything but white” is, in my opinion, inferior to the benefit of being able to translate knowledge of terrain in one gamemode to another (after all, there’s going to be a lot of terrain).
Oh yeah and also, there’s really very little the art team can do to make stars (or planets, for that matter) more interesting. They can produce textures, yes, and maybe some structures - but unless they completely carpet the surface of every planet with those structures, a googly eyed asteroid bobblehead might just add more to the game experience, per hour spent on making it.
Never mind the fact that the art team will (hopefully) have a few months of not that much to do just before launch, as content development is paused in favour of debugging. Well… a lot of games do that in the months after launch instead, but I can dream of a game one day launching in a state that’s fit to play.
Personally, if they ever put a focus on actual stars, I’d like to see them really nail the fundamentals, rather than develop a menagerie of exotic stellar objects. Granulation, convection cells, star spots, prominences, flares, CMEs, etc. They could tie flares and CMEs into auroral events on the planets. Considering that nobody does this, I think it would be far more interesting than simply littering space with black holes, micro-quasars, or Thorne-Zytkow Objects.
Hear, hear. I’d be particularly for that if those fundamentals had an impact on gameplay. Do ships need to worry about CMEs? Are surface installations impacted by them, whether the planet has a magnetic field or not? When refueling off a star, do ships look for or avoid spots and prominences? What role does the granularity of convection cells have on refueling - or even sensors or navigation near the star?
I think it would be a kick in the pants if players checked the strength of a magnetic field on a planet versus the intensity of the star’s CMEs (perhaps requiring a monitoring station to be set up for a couple weeks). Or looked for tidally-locked planets with or without a magnetic field so they could set up ground operations somewhere on the dark face.
The short form is that I’d rather see a subtle spectrum of behaviors coming from everyday stars rather than witnessing some bizarre twists from a rare object.
Well, when you guys put it that way, my suggestion doesn’t seem nearly as far out of reach.
I would also like to see something like this, as well, but I am guessing it is also well out of scope for the current project.
You’ll likely get multiple stars anyway, but they’ll just be little dots. How about a nearby nebula of some sort to make the playing field more attractive. Out of reach in game terms, but visible nonetheless?
I’d prefer all that to be computed procedurally rather than hand-painted, making it a programmer task rather than something for the art team to do. Generating a Milkyway-like galaxy, calculating refraction and scattering of interstellar dust and gas, and generating a skybox based on the results is actually quite easy as long as it doesn’t have to happen in real time (and the goal for the engine is that it will be able to do stuff like than in real time).
Even if it is hand-painted, that’s a single high resolution texture that someone on the art team will have to make, and then they’re done. I certainly don’t mean to say it’s a trivial task, merely that I imagine a 3D model might take longer, since those also tend to include high resolution textures (for a given value of “high”).
I remember seeing images of procedurally generated nebulae on the old forums. I wonder if those bits are still usable/up to standard?
I love watching these references pop up literally everywhere.
mmmmuuustt ressssssist :-X
No, it isn’t. We have new ideas for nebula but it isn’t something we’re investing time in at the moment. Nearly all graphics work aside from fixing issues with our existing rendering stack was halted about 8 months ago.
This is going to be our primary focus. Our core 30 seconds of fun is epic space battles. Everything else is technically a stretch goal because if we can’t make our unique spin on newtonian space combat fun then the rest of the game is probably going to be boring as well.
For Battlescape nebulas aren’t needed anyway. When traveling throught the galaxy though, they sure are beatiful to include (created by someone in after effects):