Rocketry General Thread

It usually does take a bit for them to release the video, yes.

That is what I was talking about; that’s all we have so far. We just have to wait until they tell us more.

Thanks for the video too. All SpaceX info is good info.

Courtesy of Reddit, I bring an interesting video: IR camera of the first stage maneuvers after separation from the second stage, sadly though without the actual landing:

Just thought I’d let everyone know:

The next ISS resupply, CRS-5 is slotted for this Friday the 19th, I couldn’t the time though.

It’s cool because it’s a launch, but it’s the launch I’ve been waiting for all year.

SpaceX will attempt to land it’s first stage on that fancy barge they’ve made

So I’ll be very excited to watch it happen and hope for success. Musk has given the landing a 50% chance of success so we’ll see what happens.

4 Likes

Thanks for updating the thread! SpaceXStats says that the launch will be at 18:20 UTC:

www.spacexstats.com/mission.php?launch=19

I am so looking forward to it, although I probably won’t be able to watch live due to being on the Christmas Market. Oh well.

EDIT: Gosh darn it, the forum won’t give me a link preview, sorry.

Eeeeek! Can’t wait!

SpaceX posted about the upcoming landing attempt and why it is so difficult:

I am so ready for this. I hope they succeed, just because I want to see the footage! :smiley:

2 Likes

http://newsdaily.com/2014/12/spacex-delays-planned-cargo-run-to-space-station-to-early-january/

Delayed :frowning:

Edit: The new date appears to be Jan 6th, early in the morning at 6 am EST with Jan 7th being the next backup date if anything else goes wrong.

Edit2: Changed PST to EST. oops

1 Like

Ruined my friday. And it’s not even friday yet.

As always, better to delay and succeed, than launch and fail.

1 Like

Oh how pertinent

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly :stuck_out_tongue:

Well said! I happen to agree. I’ve waited for these sorts of launches before.

SpaceX completed a successful static fire test

3 Likes

The time has come (again). The stream starts today at 11 GMT with the launch scheduled for 11:20. Not sure how much later the landing attempt will be or if it will be streamed live. I hope so!

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

2 Likes

Youtube live cast here:

Currently 10 min to go!

And hold. Looks like the backup date… again. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I was so sad when they delayed it with less than 2 minutes left.

The cause for the delay was the reaction wheel for the z-axis in the second stage was running on the launchpad…when it shouldn’t have been running at all.

2 Likes

Double posting because updates are good. New launch time is Saturday at 4:46 am est

Also elon musk posted this to his twitter…probably my favorite image of the new year and last year…

Edit: fixed time

2 Likes

Two great things

4 Likes

partially success.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk
Rocket made it to drone spaceport ship, but landed hard. Close, but no cigar this time. Bodes well for the future tho.
Ship itself is fine. Some of the support equipment on the deck will need to be replaced…
Didn’t get good landing/impact video. Pitch dark and foggy. Will piece it together from telemetry and … actual pieces.

4 Likes

I hope they show at least some of the descent in a future video. The SpaceX fans would go crazy over it. Oh who am I kidding, I want to see something too! :smiley:

1 Like