Rocketry General Thread

landing success

1 Like

Every step now is one closer to the Mars mission. I’m looking forward to watching multiple live streams of that mission 24/7 on a few screens, even falling asleep to the streams.

1 Like

That fire is worrying me…unless its part of the engine ignition?

yeah I noticed that as well. Might be nothing.

I’m assuming it’s a pilot light for the engines, but the fact that they were trying to extinguish it worried me a little.

Is this satellite a military one? It would be good to have cameras running for this part of the flight, panning around to view earth and then into space if they could change the exposure and show stars…would be nice. But I guess if its military then they don’t want there thing being seen by all. I’m in favour of more HD cameras, 4k streams will become easier to do in the years to come which will be cool for us viewers.

Secret MIB business. They are tranfserring data to the alien mothership before resuming normal transmission :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah that sucks when feeds get cut, for example, from the ISS. I’m never sure what to make of those youtube channels showing the seconds just before the feed get cut, if they are fake of not. I watch the ISS stream some nights and just fall asleep to it. But have never witnessed a feed cut myself so can’t say for sure what was happening in the seconds before.

Cool final images from the stream

1 Like

Dammit it was getting interesting with the ice crystals forming on the thrusters :smiley:

1 Like

2 Likes

I had to commute while the launch was happening, so I couldn’t watch this one live too… :cry:

But awesome! Maybe I’ll be able to watch the next landing live. Congrats SpaceX! Now do it again… and again… and again…

:laughing:

Wow the laughing smiley looks… creepy.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I hear rocket engines are designed to handle fire :wink:

2 Likes

This, as long as the fire is at the bottom end of the rocket it’s pretty ok. I’m assuming It’s just burn off of residual fuel/oxidizer that’s in the nozzle.

Jupiter. I know not in our lifetime, but a manned flight grand tour of Jupiter and its many moons should be the mission of the later 21st and early 22nd century. For this, I would skip the Moon and Mars. To orbit Jupiter and pass across the great eye, now that’s going to be some moment for human kind. Not that the first steps onto Mars won’t be the best thing in my space watching lifetime :slight_smile:

Hey Nerds!

Yeah you guessed it! A rocket is near! I know you’re thinking… ā€œBut wait, there’s no launch happening, you would have told us.ā€

Correct again, you guys are good, no there’s no launch, but a return! Tune in to this crappy ad infested stream to watch!

[redacted]

It should appear in about 20 minutes from this post…Have fun!

Falcon is returning on her chariot back to port today so if you’re interested that’s how you can watch.

ps. To keep your adblocker, load the stream page but stop it loading once the actual stream has loaded. This allows the stream to load but you stop loading before the adblocker-blocker gets loaded…they’re pretty bad…I’m working on finding the vlc link to stream it there but I can’t remember what it was. Enjoy!

Edit: If you have vlc, you can watch the stream with this link

http://mia10-1.portfever.com/liveedge/pcw.stream/playlist.m3u8

Happy rocketing!

Annnnnnnnnnd good video of the landing

3 Likes

That’s a good landing. Now they have to work on testing and turning them around for re-use. I’m guessing whilst further refining the materials and metals, and the whole process. Lighter, stronger metals and alloys.

Also, hopefully more HD & 4K (soon) camera views inc onboard. Like that latest Blue Origin re-entry video of the onboard camera looking out a little portal window was really interesting. All the different sounds captured by the microphone during the descent, I’m assuming it’s housed inside the pressurized main body. And then the last minute orientation change to the craft so we see the shadow of the lander touching down. Perfect framing.

We’re not too far off a probe mission to Europa which would naturally capture some more awesome Jupiter imagery. But I agree, a round trip to Jupiter and back would be epic…provided we can survive the radiation :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/europa-mission/

1 Like

Jaws Theme

What’s that? Oh no! It’s here again!

Yes another launch! When??

2 days from now Thursday at aproximately 2:40 Pm pacific or 9:40 UTC(I got it for you this time guys!)

Links are the same as always. The payload will be Thaicom 8 going to a GTO orbit, same as Jcsat-14 which landed only a few weeks ago.

A landing will be attempted on OCISLY. According to the FAA filing forms, OCISLY will actually be farther downrange than it was for JCSAT, so clearly SpaceX is attempting a different trajectory since Thaicom8 is 1000kg lighter than JCSAT was.

If I had to guess, it’s a shallower trajectory to allow more time to break in the atmosphere reducing the necessary fuel requirements. It will be another 3 engine landing burn so this sucker will be coming in hot. I could be very wrong, and infact they are trying to reduce heating as much as possible and it could also be a steeper trajectory which would reduce the amount of time exposed to atmo breaking without engines being lit. Your best guess is as good as mine.

3 Likes

I’m just waiting for the day when Elon straps a bunch of fireworks to OCISLY to celebrate a landing :smiley:

I wouldn’t hold your breath unless someone invents reusable fireworks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like