Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

i want both to succeed as well. i wish inovae could of done what they wanted to do back in the day with there full size galaxy game but i do look forward to the game they put forward in there ks

Check out the article we put together explaining the rationale behind Battlescape, and what it could mean for the future of the I-Novae engine and future projects. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

ever since i watch the first videos hinting at traveling anywhere in the galaxy , it blew my mind when in one video you was clicking on each star in the sky and it was possibly to go there . then you have the galaxy model video where the camera flys through the galaxy and the sheer number of systems blew my mind again lol.

i got to play the combat demo you guys put out and that was pretty cool imo so i really like your engine and i think once its done you will probably have enough money to make multiple games as long as people stay interested in space games and the big companys start to make space games again

2 Likes

Oh i am the black sheep :water_buffalo: that will admit it. :slight_smile: i am salty that two groups work on something that is basically the same thing.
Both struggle, because both at the same time lack what other has.
What a waste of resources and time. :roll_eyes:

Guess i am not the type that considers competition as a means for innovation.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I was big time into SC, dreams given over willingly. Just read some of my many threads on the old SC forums (Voice porting) better and updated but based on this Interstellar Marines tech demo from 2008 - link. *watch from 12.40 mins onwards.

The SC devs even said this would sort of been included eventually, made better than the above old tech demo which was done with unreal3. Chris Roberts was even asked about this in one of his ten for the chairman videos, although he completely misunderstood what voice porting was.

This was my idea to ask for voice porting in SC.

And then and up until recently lobbying for force feedback to be implemented. For both SC and ED.

And all my other threads (full on theory crafting the dream):

Long before any EVA was shown:
Space Walk EVA missions and Salvage deep inside wrecked ships. Like Firefly (pilot) & Event Horizon

Universal hailing protocols - ship to ship - ship to station/planet/asteroid/moon

Ingame Voice Porting -ship to ship radio/static/distance effects-like BSG(2004)-Interstellar Marines

All the others:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/discussions/174039/JonnyRedHed

I was big time into the dream. But then things changed early 2016 for me and I started to see past the veiled curtain. Joining the dots for myself. Ultimately leading to a full refund some months back.

All the recent shell company and buy outs and loans etc, all sort of hint quite strongly that Chris and wife and brother are positioning themselves for a big golden parachute out of the project at some point with minimal legal responsibilities. This is my general theory and one I’ve arrive at on my own. I couldn’t continue to support this behaviour and the outright lies any more and had to refund. $165million and no vertical slice even of the game to show for it. Faked demos one after the other with glossy videos I’m betting took huge resources to pull off. It has all turned into just making money and not into delivering on the promises made.

The game engine is just never going to work in the way they want. Multiplayer is a joke for the massive online game we were promised. All the signs/flags are there. If after all these years the base engine is still not working right, it never will whilst its still an old cryengine port. Some of us realised this years ago. Chris must of also figured this out not long after the kick starter finished. Cryengine would just never work beyond pretty visuals. That was true then and its still true now.

If the project limps on until 2020, the game engine will be nearly a decade out of date and with no clear info or updates as to what current/latest Cryengine 5,6 onwards features they have been able to update it with. I suspect very few considering the huge amount of patching the custom lumberyerd engine has had.

Pretty yes, workable for hundreds of players online in and around each other, no never. Not with this engine. I’m sure the german original cryengine devs have told Chris this face to face many times over the years, and that a complete re-write was needed from the ground up based off the cryegnine look and feel but completely new for SC and its future needs.

Too late now though. So they lie and lie some more about the fabled networking which will solve all the online problems. It will never come. What you have now is just about the best the patched engine can ever do. This one red flag alone should be warning enough.

I gave over my dreams willingly, and never got them back with my refund. I do hope some game is finally released and if any good I will buy the final game and DLC. 3-5 Solar systems instead of the 100> though will really suck if its going to have the sort of online player count ED has, and will become very crowded very quickly. CIG appear to have very talented concept and 3D artists and some good coders, but lack an overall vision and goal to achieve even a basic game with interesting game-play. Look at the boring (done before) missions on offer at the moment as one example.

Pretty game to look at. Pretty advertising videos to look at.

We can still have a little laugh though whilst holding out hope for a more finished game to emerge by 2020.

made me chuckle… :slight_smile:

Chris Roberts and Wife enlist the help of venue security guard and leg it out the back with
the Citcon2017 door takings. But chaos quickly ensues during their getaway! - CCTV video

2 Likes

Well, yeah. That’s when they ended up buying up half of Crytek or something to work on the engine and make it 64-bit capable, among other things. The only thing they changed by moving over to Lumberyard was changing the networking stack, which will now probably effectively lock them into using AWS.

2 Likes

Every time I read this thread, I’m reminded of this one: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/593nng/star_citizen_missing_features_and_broken_promises/

It’s…extensive.

2 Likes

LumberYard - This seems interesting. Is it wrong. Yes?, No?

2 Likes

I mean, it seems fairly obvious to me that they’re going to go down the ED route. Lumberyard should be able to handle that.

It might take them another year to realise that’s a real limitation of the engine unless they’re going to redo all the work they got ā€œfor freeā€ from LY.

2 Likes

More trash full of misinfo, but you really don’t deserve more of a response than that if you’re just going to spam more dsmart links here, since you don’t seem to actually care that every post by that guy is mostly misinformation. At some point it’s unreasonable to expect anyone to spend time going through item by item after each one of his posts prior have just been the same thing.

1 Like

I see. So your take on that post would be its all fake and not true. I know little about game engines and found it interesting but do not know if its true, which is why I asked.

2 Likes

You’re obviously free to post whatever you like, but personally I would recommend against posting anything from DS at all. It just comes across as being fanatically and unreasonably anti-RSI. That’s not a trait we want people to associate with the I-Novae community.

Yes people have legitimate negative opinions of RSI and CR but, in my opinion, citing DS in the discussion is analogous to citing Daesh/ISIS in a serious academic discussion on western consumerism, regardless of the fact that some of his points may be valid. He’s just lost all credibility and it undermines any other points you might attempt to make.

4 Likes

I will continue to post DS articles because they are revealing and to the point; even the most enamored SC zealot can see something is amiss. But clearly, as we can see here, some zealots are beyond help even when it smacks them in the face 5 years later with $150 million in funding and next to nothing to show for it.

I thought there were some interesting points made about Lumberyard and CIG, and what they are doing and more importantly what they are not doing. Where else can you find such points raised about in detail about this topic of networking.

Also, I’m not a Muslim, and do not support Daesh/ISIS, not an appropriate comparison. Nor do I support or encourage DS. He made a good collection of talking points. CIG has failed with its networking in my opinion, after all these years its still rubbish for any more than a handful of clients/players in one place at the same time.

1 Like

Much of the language in this thread feels inflamatory and more extreme than it needs to be.

3 Likes

Yeah, that will happen when SC supporters try shutting down opinions, like them or not, as hrobertson suggests here on forums. In fact this is why CIG has gotten away with what many now consider a scam - by shutting down honest opinions and valid concerns regarding the direction and/or lack of. If SC supporters don’t like the opinions then so be it; other sites shouldn’t be in the business of supporting potential frauds by filtering facts.

1 Like

It intrigues me when those who are vehemently anti-DS never post anything actually countering the points made.

Yup, he’s an asshole. He’s also been frequently correct. The two are not mutually exclusive, thank my lucky stars, or else I’d never be correct.

JonnyRedhead tends to be one of the calmer posters here, but I’m seeing an awful lot of vitriol being spit his way without actually demonstrating why his references are wrong. If you want to be called something more than an uneducated fanboy, I recommend taking the time to bring forth a reasoned discussion/argument instead of spying of a string of verbal abuse and patting yourself on the back for it.

Also, I’d rather be a community who is not afraid to bring forth information and have it intelligently discussed than one who simply dismisses a source with the modern day equivalent of Godwin’s Law: equating DSmart’s opinions with terrorist organizations is intellectually dishonest and brings nothing of value to the table.

7 Likes

I agree. And it’s odd how people are only assholes after someone disagrees with them. :upside_down_face:

+1. Indeed!

I found one of the latest videos with regards to Quantum Travel interesting. Especially since we started talking about vortex tunnels in the Procedural Engine megathread over here. Looks smooth, better than before, and I like the exit visuals. However I hope they’ll start to work at the wormhole tunnel at some point, maybe its a little closer now since they got some visuals due to the quantum travel effects that would also fit for wormholes.

I’ve refuted jonny before, expecting anyone to repeatedly respond to someone who just lazily links a consistently wrong source with a lengthy refutation is unreasonable to the extreme.

DS has been frequently correct in the same way a malfunctioning clock is correct twice every day and 60 times a month. The sheer volume of predictions, fabricated leaks and conditions of failure forecasted by DS are so wide that occasionally, something mirrors reality for a moment. Assigning predictive power to DS as a result of these things is ill advised, the large portion of DS’ comments are downright laughable, im tempted to start posting them here just to make fun of him because once you start seeing the full picture you’d feel like a fool for paying attention. But that would further degrade this thread. Just form your own criticisms, its not hard, i have a laundry list of issues with SC, and you would tell me you just have DS links? How is that possible? Jonny in particular went from being a major fanboy to having his ā€œdreamsā€ ( unreasonable expectations) stolen and he’s as much as admitted he’s just posting here as an anti-fan to justify his refund decision. Meanwhile he’s spamming the star citizen forums with the alt of a banned account, giving battlescape negative-advertising. Surely he can find something to say that doesnt involve a DS url?