Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

Rofl, Derek mostly points to his own blogs, he is his biggest source aka he pulls things out of his assistant.
Anyone who takes this stalking, harassIng piece of human garbage serious, should go see a doctor.

2 Likes

Sometimes. Some developers don’t. I could cite any number of releases from last year that were released in an un-optimised, poorly performing state if you really want.

1 Like

The new disease of video game industry

Sadly, yes.

[details=Space Hulk: Deathwing OT rant inside]Look at Space Hulk: Deathwing for instance. Released in a pretty bad shape and not just optimisation issues. The game has an at times obtuse interface and horrible netcode.
As yet no updates have been released to address this. But never fear, Streum On have announced a process by which we the community can engage in beta testing for them…after release…so that’s alright then.[/details]

Voting with your wallet is the only way to let developers know that enough is enough.

1 Like

@raess2014 which is exactly the reason, why I mentioned the need to check the sources in my initial post. It felt kinda redundant mentioning it again after explicitly stating that the stuff he writes himself isn’t the valuable part of his blog.

Btw, your post (the second part to be more precise) is a prime example for my motivation to initially comment on this specific matter, as it seems that you deny the possibility of other opinions on this matter, basically telling everyone (who doesn’t agree completely with your own narrowminded opinion on said matter) to go and fuck themselves. As long as people deny informations based on the smallest details (like instead of finding a video purely by chance, stumbling upon it while browsing dsmarts blog), and then continue to get stuck in a loop of (in this case): “ERMAGEHRD THIS VIDEO WAS LINKED BY DSMART, THUS IT CANT CONTAIN VALUABLE INFORMATION”, it won’t be possible to have a conversation.
And yes, basically the same can be said about those who are so adamant about claiming that CIG and RS being pure evil. The specific opinion doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

So - Been watching this thread go on and on for a while now…

Anyway the people who are saying Star Citizen is a “scam” are not going to give money to the game. Unless you are Derek.

Those who believe in the project will. If Star Citizen fails let it fail on its own merits. If It succeeds let it succeed on it own merits. But anyway… I would highly recommend people go over and read the r/DerekSmart Drama Mega thread

Personally Speaking just let CIG make the damn game.

2 Likes

I guess you mean “fail from its own weaknesses” and “succeed on its own merits” :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, this game projected such a hype, it’s hard for some people to keep lucid and coherent.

Independently from Derek, there are good reasons to be curious about CIG’s aggressive ship sales years after a succesful KS, how the internal economics / gameplay will work and why some deadlines were crossed.

This doesn’t mean one shouldn’t be understanding, especially since the game is huge and quite ambitious.
This means that one should watch how things are evolving, as we’ve seen plenty of examples of knwown editors (EA and Ubisoft come first into my mind) totally botch AAA games. Some of which were simple “reboots”, which means management methods and developpement were supposedly well-known.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reddit link, interesting read.
Reading a bit across the page I stumbled across his article #20 from 12/27/16 where he states

THE ENGINE
[blabla]
Part of their customization of the engine is in the increase of the game world size. At one point, they claimed that Star Engine was a “64-Bit engine” – something that is still written on their website features page. I first sounded the alarm that this was patently false; [blabla]
In the end, the narrative switched to “64-Bit positioning” which made more sense; though – as I wrote- they were still cheating regardless. And in the past few weeks, it has now emerged that – as I had stated then – they are actually using a 32*2 conversion aka “floating origin” in order to support the increase their world size. [blabla]

I find that pretty interesting as I still research floating origin for use with Unity3D for my prototypes. However I wonder that it is true that Star Citizen has been using (or still uses) floating origin. Has there been any proof of that?

I wonder why DS says " 32*2 conversion aka “floating origin” " as IMHO both have nothing to do with each other, at least I dont see any connection. Furthermore, using floating origin is IMHO still legit even if you use 64bit double precision. Youre still limited (well, comfortably limited :slight_smile:) even with its digits, which if I calculated right allow to create a solarsystem size of ours at cm detail roughly until Pluto but not beyond, which would not be sufficient for the gameworld. And so you either need to utilize splitting the universe into zones or use techniques like floating origin and stream celestial bodies into your world scene.

Personally Speaking - I do not know. I have not been able to log into the game since the 1.0 release of the game. The game is massive data wise and I am on a data cap. I would need to go hands with SC on to see.

  • Now the below is speculation on my part -

They could use 64 bit floats for each Solar System and then just segment the world out into points of interest. So each level is just one big level. This would make allot of sense as interdiction is planned for an update post 3.0.

If we speak about DS vs RSI/CIG http://dereksmart.com/ and http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?board=4.0

that thread on reddit its a shame and its the emblem of how toxic SC community has became.

2 Likes

Reading this was funny, entertaining and also very informative.

As one joker put it: “The development is so transparent and open, that you can’t even see it.”

and,
Another post he wrote following the collapse of the Lily drone project.

2 Likes

It took me literaly only 5 seconds, I just klicked one link to one of his articles, found him saying: "A lot of Shitizens said I was wrong, that I didn’t understand it, blah, blah, blah. "… and I really wonder: Him calling people that way, what reaction would you expect? I found it a nice and good read overall.
And still I wonder what he means by “32*2 conversion aka “floating origin”” somehow I cant take him serious.

All I can say, everytime I log into 2.6 I find nice people in the chat, helpful, friendly. Cannot find anything toxic at least there in the game.

LOL nice find :slight_smile:

1 Like

you seems to forget that they were the first to insult him in any way.
So what reaction would you expect

1 Like

I dont know but I don’t think this is the case, but what would I expect in that case anyway? Reacting like a grown up maybe, and simply move on with the real life stuff, but certainly not change full attention a 100% and throw shit against an internet community vice versa, doing nothing else in his life anymore as it seems. A community gets into this spiral pretty quick (this overall thread is a good example although being far from the offense like in DS vs. SC :slight_smile: ). He and a certain group of people find themselfs in a negative spiral they cant get out of again, getting worse and worse. Remember, about a videogame. To answer your question again, this change of attention is not what I would expect from an individual grown up. I really wonder, and this is no offense, how he earns enough money nowadays to have so much time for nothing…
PS: The same I’d say about people within the SC community which spend so much time to collect every single article about him either.

:confused:

Wut? Maybe you want to substantiate that accusation

Some thoughts from boredgamer about 2017. Should be a good year if CIG does this.

This is the era of Trump. ‘Wrong’ ‘Fake News’.

Oh do get over yourself.

I hope they get the netcode sorted. I thoght the jitter were from me playing at 4K but it’s not.
I get 30-60 fps and since I have a G-sync monitor that should not register the way it does.
I get a headake after just a few minutes of running around in one of the spaceports.
It’s not as bad if I take off and fly away from the stations, but the way it is right now I’m not even going to try playing Star Marine.