Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

It may be enough to mitigate the problem. If people start breaking 10 seconds earlier than without the display it may be much less pronounced.

Also. We don’t even know if jousting will be a problem when there are 10 players in the area.

All of this is meaningless anyway @Lomsor, this is what we did on the old forum for years, what is needed is developer input/feedback and they are probably not even at a point where stuff like this is even on the table for discussion. That’s why I don’t really like to engage in gameplay discussion.

ED uses this system in Supercruise and it works well.

@inovaeflavien @inovaekeith

2 Likes

ED uses a colored gauge that delivers much more information than 10 seconds time indicator ever could. The ED indicator does calculations depending on your speed and the distance. Your time indicator does not. The ED approach wouldn’t even work in a battle situation because we can’t monitor the gauge and do all the other stuff at the same time.

1 Like

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Oh sorry I though you were talking about that thing they did to specifically stop people from overhooting.

1 Like

That’s not the feature I’m proposing, the other one is, time to target.

Yes my bad. Sorry. I got confused because the other thing was made to stop overshooting and the thing you really mean does nothing to stop that. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you think for a second, time to target stops overshoots in ED. :confused:

Call me stupid but this is mostly such a difficult thing to guess that it doesn’t help me at all. Especially with the isane speed differences a space game allows it is really hard to anticipate.

You might be right, they should cap speeds and turn rates.

Thats not at all what I would want or support, but if you want to go there because I argued the flaws of your solution, so be it.

All I needed to stop overshooting in E:D was for someone to tell me to keep the “Time to target” at 7 seconds. If I wasn’t too aggressive with my deceleration I mostly didn’t overshoot. All I use is that second timer @cybercritic posted.

1 Like

I find numeric values too complicated for high-stress situations. They work great for landing approaches and so on, but for everything else it just takes to much effort.
If prefer an audio solution because it comes at no cost to the pilot and it adds atmosphere to the game. I think its much cooler to hear “mutiple enemy bomber incoming” than reading numbers on a screen. Think about how much information can be communicated in such a short time with zero effort to the pilot!

Just some examples:

  • enemy [ship class] incoming
  • multiple enemy [ship class] incoming
  • enemy in weapon range in [seconds]
  • enemy [ship class] on your tail
  • warning: enemy has deployed mines
  • warning: you are outnumbered
  • warning: amunition low
  • beep beep beeep (incoming missile)
  • warning: ship critically damaged

Different voices for the ships would further add coolness and personality to the ships. I think voice actors are pretty affordable currently, so it shouldn’t be an issue.

2 Likes

You can ignore the numbers if you want to, let the noobs rely on audio warnings and let the experienced players that have the ability to handle themselves in a stressful environment have additional information, it’s a skill evolving feature.

I wonder what will happen with sound and what the budget for it is now that they don’t have a dedicated sound engineer/composer on the team anymore…

Of course there should be a setting to turn off audio warnings, I think everybody could be happy with that.

I’ll let you focus on numbers while I use my energy to correctly aim at your ship. :wink:
Have fun reading your decreasing hull points. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sure, but we have to get the numbers and the audio in the game first.

It’s hard to follow when this discussion switches from “Time to Target” to “Time to all Near Enemies” …

Honestly if they want to put in “Time to Near Enemies” in numbers I would prefer a list EVE:Online style … that worked quite well too. Welcome to spreadsheet world though.

I think we can all agree they should put a “Time to Target” number right bellow/next to the already in the mockup existing Target Info “Box”.

3 Likes

I have no problem with such a thing at all, but the problem of jousting is not solved with this I believe. I will be happy to be proven wrong though.

Maybe a hard stop ability could also eliminate jousting. Maybe having a button with a cooldown that significantly slows you down can work, kind of like a reverse warp.
I would hope that we can test all these ideas soon™ when gameplay developement really starts.

1 Like

I only slept for 6 hours, and we have 42 new posts here? :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you saying voice actors should literally say ‘Beep beep beeeeep’? BEST SOUND EFFECT EVA! :wink:

For my two bits:

If you think about it, we already have an ‘overshoot’ indicator currently implemented in the proto. It’s the ‘don’t overshoot the planet surface’ indicator, the red bar in the velocity meter. As long as your velocity reading is below the bar, you won’t hit the planet. A new bar could easily be made with this same function that applies to targets.

Critic stated in discord that the red bar is going with the new hud. I’d like to state that I like the red bar, I’d like it to stay.

Now, when it comes to jousting, my opinion is that nothing should be done until we know it’s an actual problem. Even those of us who have the proto have little to no actual combat experience. I’d wait until alpha is released, with the basic weapon types implemented before we start fixing a problem that might not actually exist.

8 Likes

I’d prefer a very short super boost of sorts, so you have to turn around and use it to stop. This could also be handy to get up to speed quickly and it would look cool to see rapidly accelerating ships.

1 Like