Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

Inertia between grids does technically get maintained but right now it gets lost in translation between the client and server due to networking issues. The server framerate under load is different from the client’s framerate. So you experience a different momentum between grids. It is part of the work they are doing on networking which I think is related to the 2.6 or 3.0 patch.

Around the Verse: Episode 3.10 and TLDR

2 Likes

Obviously, interesting :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcc_46NSiXc

1 Like

More concept ships?! They should change the name to ‘Concept Citizen’.

Agreed, DS has some valid points but he also misses the mark. And making matters worse is a vocal subculture of obsessed fanboys who jump on every syllable as a point of ridicule.

Thank you for the continuous updates JonnyRedHed, at least me would probably have missed some of the videos. I like the planetary part starting at 4:44 in the BritizenCon Video, looks like the planet implementation is coming along very nice. There seems to be a flaw with the clouds if you watch the video while the player moves, guess they still experimenting how the clouds change over time / or its simply a bug. But the planet surface with the grass and stone assets and textures looks good. Also the coastline to the left at 7:12 looks pretty natural - hopefully they’ll provide some insights which procedural algorithms they have been using (and also how they store the manual manipulations of the terrain height and biomes). IMHO they are getting to a point where they can (or should) leave it like it is for the moment besides optimizations.

Somewhere else, not sure where it was, the part about the audio engineering was interesting. Its a very underrated important part of any game IMHO. Also I like the idea of “procedural audio”, thus placing the audio events and mixture procedurally (and eventually also create or manipulate audio with procedural algorithms). Everyone is thinking of graphics and planets for that term, but audio is another interesting thing. maybe because I am an audiophile :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that was the audio segment of ATV and RTV

The audio was the biggest appeal to me of that Citcon demo. It really sold the environment.

1 Like

To balance out the thanks, I offer a cringe. @JonnyRedHed, please start a blog instead of spamming the INS forums. I have to wade through about 20 posts a day from you - including “Reposted everywhere” posts - as I attempt to see if anybody had anything to say on the forums here. If Joerg and others find your posts interesting enough, they can just watch your blog in addition to these forums.

2 Likes

To be fair he does the same thing with any I:B news on the star-citizen forums… and a few others too. :wink:

1 Like

I like it, its not that other people have more important things to post/say here.

I use this thread as my single source for keeping updated about star citizen, so please don’t stop @JonnyRedHed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

DS writes


A good video from ObsidianAnt.

5 Likes

The post Smart quotes is what I’ve been thinking more or less the whole time.

Sure, Smart is a massive, massive narcissist. But he’s also been trying to make the same game for 20 years, so he kinda understands the problems involved (he just refuses to admit he can’t solve them by himself). I also think Smart’s personal experience in the genre detaches him from some feelings other backers might be feeling, such as denial from buyer’s remorse. I’ve always thought that Smart’s opinions regarding SC were worth taking note of, even if I disagreed with how he delivers them, or some of his attacks on CIG’s staff.

Seems like the lustre is finally wearing off for many more SC fans, especially those that weren’t around for the biggest DS/CIG spats.

2 Likes

After watching this video there’s something I’m not sure about. Can someone tell me how CIG are going to have so many people playing the game at once to crew a capital ship plus all the other ships etc around it. Or even just a few smaller multi-crew ships etc.

Regarding the cryengine devs, am I correct in thinking some of them have been with cryengine (Crytek) since the beginning or there abouts and are the best cryengine devs for the job.

These core engine devs are having trouble getting more than good handful of people (I don’t know the exact number) into the game before it falls over, after x years of work. Is this correct.

Surely as backers should be asking how they can possibly achieve this now as we move into 2017, if the core cryengine devs don’t appear to be making this work. Will this be a problem if by the end of 2017 no solution is in sight.

1 Like

The real question is… should we be surprised they’re having such difficulty. The netcode in Cryengine wasn’t ever considered to be the best, and the multiplayer games that subsequently used it have all been fairly limited in size, as far as I can recall. The choice of engine always seemed to be more about looks rather than practicality, so when more was asked of the engine it was inevitable there were going to be difficulties.

There are very few commercial engines with a proven track record of holding large player counts. Even less so in arenas of such large scale.

1 Like

From memory there are about two original CryEngine devs at Frankfurt plus other ex-Crytek staff such as Sean Tracy.
As for the networking, all we know is what Tony talked about in the recent RTV special edition episode.
A lot is riding on 2.6 and 3.0 in terms of seeing the results of this work so it’s up to CIG to keep the public informed. If we don’t see results from this work then it’s not a good sign for me. However, if Tony is right about this networking technique it will allow for 1-2000 players interacting within the same space. That’s more than enough to handle multiple cap ships and large player ships in one area.

At some point though, players will have to expect to be shuttled to a different instance if people try to flood an area with thousands of players. Something CIG will need to be grilled on when the time comes to test it.

1 Like

How many people can one instance currently hold before the game fails.

So is this ‘1-2000 players’ technique due to be applied in 2.6 -3.0 or later next year. Do you think this is the only and maybe last idea to resolve this with patching the engine, or could they have other ideas waiting to be used as fall back. Hard to say I guess. See what happens by the end of 2017.

1 Like

I can only assume those patches are what they are aiming for. Most likely 3.0 when the larger Stanton map is opened up. Perhaps it will start off with a limited form of the instancing until they can get it more stable later down the track.

Who knows what contingency plans they have, if any. It’s a massive gamble if they don’t.

1 Like

developers themselves had said they had redone netcode two times and it still sucks. But soon there will be the jesus patch that will enable thousands of player in one instance at the same time, trust me.

4 Likes