Roberts Space Industries - Star Citizen

You’re not alone there. I’m guessing his mic levels are set just below clipping point so every word sounds like shouting in an empty room.

A bit of effort in sound dampening like Noobifier did in his basement studio goes a long way. Even just a bunch of cheap foam blocks on the walls makes a huge difference.

1 Like

Of course you don’t have to buy a $750 ship - there are lots of pay to win games out there.

the sound is perfect on your video, it’s exactly what I was saying.

And the build is so cool.

Thanks @selbie beautiful channel.

@Zen it’s for you :wink:

@kamui it’s for you and the poster of the video who is wildly misinformed about release dates:

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_Release_Schedule

PS
His argument is intrinsically flawed. For example, if I order a TV set and pay money to get that TV set I expect it to arrive on stated date. But no, I waited, and waited and waited for that TV set until the cows came home. Then finally it showed up - years later - but it still wasn’t finished and truth be told it barely worked and looked like crap. But, being the patient person I am I still extolled the wonders of said TV company and told everyone that this broken barely working TV set was worth every penny. But then one day I woke up from my obsession for this particular TV set and returned to reality. So when someone mentions said TV company with glowing reviews, I’m of a different opinion. And after years of waiting and still not getting what was advertised, I think I earned that right to criticize. It’s not like I didn’t financially support said TV company and merely trolled from the sidelines. And of course you have the right to keep extolling the virtues of this particular TV set until 2050 or whenever it’s finished. Like you said, you can dream, but don’t expect other customers to remain silent for shoddy pathetic service of an unfinished product years past its due date - living the dream is one thing, reality is quite another.

You judge a game company that listens to what gamers want, that communicates every day on it, that pushes over and over the limits of what video game actually is, and you are probably the same guy that cries because NMS, or XCom2 - every recent games - has been sold unfinished, with already seen features, etc…

I don’t understand people like you. If CR had publishers to satisfy, you would be playing at Star Citizen right now, but it would not be what it is going to be in 2020 when the game will finally be released. Accept it. Don’t be like the publishers

Don’t know, never played NMS or XCom2.

I said probably :slight_smile:

But I know you understood my point. World of video games is so poor of BIG people/company taking the risk to go where nobody did before. When you do it, most of the time it comes with a decade of development (from what I observed)

Star Citizen, Infinity:Battlescape and Final Fantasy XV are good examples of what it costs making something new or bigger. And not surprisingly, it also comes with its amount of new issues, like long term organization, or long distance organization. never resolved technical issues, or even with finding talented brains to make up your dream…

Star Citizen has another huge particularity : it’s going to be the first AAA game that has been made by an independent team. First of its kind, and IMO a potential revolution when “major companies” will discover that taking time to make big things, without yielding to the impatience of people, actually works so well that you make a lot of money like this.

I agree that the communication of CR is not perfect. And I would not be surprised if we discover that he knew from 2014 where he was going and approximately how many years it would take to release SC. But when you look at all of this, concerning StarCitizen, CR, CIG, studios, etc, you have to put everything on a timeline, to understand why this and why that.

I am personally sure that the game will be finally released in 2019-2020, and like a lot of people in SC community, I’m ok with this, because when I bought my “game package”, I knew I was almost helping funding the most incredible project of all video games times, I was not (and I’m still not) expecting for CR to respect an eventual deadline, but to respect his ambition.

However, I found CitizenCon of this year really bad in terms of comm’. 1h-h30 of “blabla blabla…” it was annoying… and to not speak at all about SQ42 was also disappointing. I understand why the did their choice, but I would have appreciated to be alerted on this a few weeks or days before CitizenCon… And also the video was soooo scripted and it was not as cool as GamesCom because of that. However however, look at what they did. I mean : we are on INovae forums, we know that building procedural planets is incredibly hard. Their tools are incredible. It reminds me the Luminous Engine. Did you realize that in just 2 years, they did incredible things on procedural tech ?

Just consider everything and you’ll not be as skeptical as you are :slight_smile:

Scott Manley

Except, as many other people have pointed out, SC is operating on MMO delivery schedules because the end product is primarily an MMO. The major MMOs have all been developed over many years. The difference with SC is that the playerbase is invested in the outcome far earlier in the the process. But because these potential players have been asked to pay up ahead of time it naturally puts them under more scrutiny.

Of course, the other thing is that if the game bombs, it’ll be the death knell of the gaming KS trend, as fewer gamers will want to put their hard earned money at risk up front. It could also backlash into the preorder markets screwing over conventionally produced games too.

But let’s hope for everyone’s sake that doesn’t happen.

Also, CitizenCon should really just stop. It’s a needless expense.

1 Like

Good point.

For CitizenCon, not sure they can stop it, but I agree it is not more a good idea, because you cannot have each year things ready to be shown at the exact same date, like it has been the case for SQ42 this year… not stop it forever, but just do it when it is the good moment, like in december, or early 17 at the same time 3.0 comes out and SQ42 is ready to be shown.

It helped their funding with the pre-sale in the hype they built around the event. They’d have more than recouped their costs on it. Probably. (I guess there’s no way of proving that.)

I just wish they’d start releasing their alpha builds to the people who paid to play those alpha builds, warts and all, rather than hiding them away for so long after first showing them off.

For once I want to see:
“Hey, see this awesome looking new live-demo of this tech we’ve been working on? It’s free to download and try for yourselves right now!”

Rather than the second part being:
“It’s free to download and try for yourselves in four months!”

1 Like

You seem to have a good grasp on development, only wish Chris Roberts had, otherwise why did he grossly underestimate completion? And your pontificating about development spans is wildly misplaced. I have been waiting for Battlescape for ten years - I didn’t just shrug my shoulders despite IBS only being a prototype and walk away, I put my money where my mouth is and supported them, and I’ll support Battlescape for another 10 years if need be. That’s because I believe in how the Devs here are approaching Battlescape: they aren’t over promising and under delivering and they are doing it for a fraction of all other triple A games out there, especially Star Citizen. So enough with the lectures.

What’s more you seem to think that Star Citizen is the greatest thing since sliced bread and is on the cutting edge of innovation when in fact it’s nothing new - it’s merely an amalgamation of common gaming mechanics, except procedural which I got trashed on forums for even suggesting. If you want innovation and cutting edge gaming, jump on Battlescape and you will not only see real life size planets - NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE - but you will also be able to land on them without loading screens. Now that is innovation and gaming that will take us to the future! Of course I am comparing apple and oranges but it gets getting really old hearing about how forward thinking CR is; in fact the DEVs at Dual Universe are more forward thinking than Chris Roberts.But again, comparing DU with SC is like comparing apple and oranges,

Look, you have the right to enjoy playing with the parts of Star Citizen for eternity if that’s what you want to do - and I have the right to express my opinion on something that wasn’t delivered as advertised - time and time again. But I do find it interesting that you feel compelled to go to other sites to defend Star Citizen; perhaps you are not as confident about it’s outcome as you think. Of course I do hope you keep posting SC promotional videos - SC excels at trailers and promotional videos!

As a one off, it probably would have been fine (Frontier’s similar event for Elite was a one-off, wasn’t it?).

Though I’d argue that they should have stopped actively chasing more funding quite some time ago. Likewise, for all CR’s bullshit about how you don’t need to buy their new stupid expensive star ship, all I’m reading that as is that they need another revenue stream and are hoping that giving a new cheap intangible will convince people who are already invested to buy in further

2 Likes

I have to admit that SC looks quite good these days. Some things are dealbreakers for me though. Like the pay to win revenue model, the fucked up scale, the currently extremely low number of players that play together etc.

And what was that with the safe landing zone? That was so damn stupid, probably because they want to force the players to also travel by foot or car during these missions.
Like new wow expansions forbidding flying your mounts till the endlevel. :joy:

1 Like

They do want to force land-based missions but I agree it was forced without making enough sense. A battle hardened starship can’t handle a strong breeze?! LOL

They really need to find a better method.

Edit: I have a feeling they were trying to imitate the planet-sweeping super typhoons like in Dune or Mad Max, but in this demo they kinda got the scale wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Derek Smarts latest blog post

We going down to DS level now? :confused:

4 Likes

Don’t know. My personal opinion is that he did it voluntary not to scare people. Maybe he was himself scared that people could not let him go as far as he wanted to try… but it’s my imagination, don’t no if it’s real, so we don’t care.

Incomparable. And CR is not over-promising, he’s taking all the risks, that’s different. And again please consider that there is a context, a timeline… and don’t consider that Inovae made things perfectly. LIKE EVERY DEVELOPMENT TEAM OF THIS F***ING PLANET, they had their parts of issues, their lack of communication, etc… and they have been unfairly treated as vaporware during years, like you’re doing with Star Citizen…

I … I just don’t want to answer to that. I think you just discredit yourself line by line…

I got it, SC and his army of villains traumatized you and now you go on forums to tell everybody that Star Citizen is the Evil… are you not capable to step back on things ?

Oh thank you I just discovered all of this thank you to learn me everything about I:B. Just for your information, I spent 30 days to spread the words on I:B, I wrote an article on a site where I am redactor, and I backed the game on the first days of KickStarter (was waiting for payday). And I don’t remember you to be here to do the same. I was a regular reader on the old forums and I follow this project since 2010. So please don’t speak to me like if I was a noob here.

Simply because he really is. He is a pioneer of space games, and he still is at the state-of-the-art level on it. The first Wing Commander is a master piece. However, it is not the case of every games of CR I must admit. But like everybody, he’s not perfect.

Dual universe devs made 2 or 3 things that are really innovative in terms of tech. They are not more forward thinking than CR because CR is forward thinking on everything about the game, not just on tech like DU devs. For example, their business model is not what I call forward thinking…

And I have the right to express my opinion on your opinion, time and time again.

to other sites? To be clear, I never read or wrote a post on SC forums, and Inovae forums are the only ones where I registered to write posts, after years of reading on the old forums. So I don’t “go to other sites to defend Star Citizen”, don’t be afraid ! I’m not one of those who traumatized you on SC forums…

And I am confident. I just discuss with you because I want to convince you that this project is as awesome as it seems, regardless of its historic issues, so then we can enjoy ourselves and share our hype on this game on every new promotional videos :wink:

1 Like