Pre-alpha test week-end meetup

Why I insist on the importance of an advertising campaign, or any form of intensive communication, as to improve INovae’s visibility…

INovae should try to have at least one main media in contact, going at game conferences (it also could help to maintain a contact with game medias), and then organize an event like this weekend.

But just my opinion.

Edit : I know it costs, but I think invisibility costs more…

I think such publicity should only be pursued when the game enters beta.

With the game in its current pre-alpha state I think the target should be to engage those who have already expressed an interest by backing.

@INovaeKeith, was an email sent to the alpha backers about this weekend or were you relying on them reading the KS update?

[quote=“hrobertson, post:23, topic:4854”]
@INovaeKeith, was an email sent to the alpha backers about this weekend or were you relying on them reading the KS update?[/quote]

All our updates are automatically sent by e-mail to Kickstarter / IndieGoGo backers.

I think our problem is reaching out to new users. It’s going to need more exposure, some marketing and a website revamp (amongst many things). We’re also going to have to get the timing right.

2 Likes

And of course i get ill just in time to miss the two main days of the free alpha backers weekend. I hope everyone had a blast, was great to see so many people ingame on friday, even though we did not manage to put together a meetup there just yet. Would be great to have a writeup / highlights reel for those who missed it or did not have the neccessary access level.

I know but I strongly suspect most people do not read them. News of the access weekend is not a normal development update.

Do you have stats of how many people have downloaded the game?

2 Likes

Just watched SpaceJay’s video, great stuff. Gonna spread it around a bit. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you guys so much for doing this! I had a blast even though I wasn’t able to play as much as I wanted to.

Are there any plans to do another alpha-weekend before the actual alpha release? I think this kind of stuff would be a really good way to get more videos with lots of action out there. (@SpaceJay awesome video btw) That’s the kind of promotional material that I think gets people really excited! I’ve got several friends who “ooh” and “ahh” at these kinds of action clips when I show them off.

Sending out some kind of notification/invite email (only to the alpha+ backers) (other than the automated Kickstarter ones) and doing another one of these weekend meet-ups would probably yield some great material.

3 Likes

So, I’ve made some improvements, added some footage and a better ending.

https://vimeo.com/201536542

The video link (address) should be the same.

9 Likes

Where do you find your music @SpaceJay?

I search for epic music

6 Likes

So, I couldnt find the pre-alpha week-end bug report topic so i’ll put it here.

First of all I think the game is comming along very nicely, i was really impresed.

PERFORMANCE (1920x1080):
(I had to manually pick nvdia videocard instead of intel.)

Game loading time ~4min; RAM used - ~5GB (strange that it never used more); Latency 100-120ms (was using in home wireless internet conected to my router that was connected to Fiber-optic internet (located in Lithuania)).

Medium - 22-25 fps in planets and stations, 25-40 in asteroid rings and cockpit, up to 50 in deep space. (3.2GB VRAM)
High - 17-22 fps in planets and stations, 20-30 in asteroid rings and cockpit, up to 40 in deep space. (3.6GB VRAM)
Extreme - 10-15 fps in planets and stations, 15-25 in asteroid rings and cockpit, up to 40 in deep space. (all 4GB VRAM).

BUGS:

The bigest bug that happened to me a few times, was me flying at low speed warp (3-5km/s) and hitting asteroid. I didn’t die, but got traped in it.
The most anoying thing was when i was chasing another player (again at low speed warp ~3km/s but speed difference only ~300m/sand distance over 10km) somehow from time to time that player could get behind me in 2-3s. And there was no indication on the hud that the speed difference was changing). Btw i tried to stop that fast myself (it really is not possible. Or am i wrong?). So i guess the info about enemies speed and distance is not always correct. (Btw in these situations i didnt see that another player would stutter like it happens because of bad connections, he would just linearly slow down very fast.

LITTLE BUGS (that are probbably known): Flickering lights in the cockpit, not all lights in cockpit turn off when i turn off power, some flickering placeholder textures on some space stations.

SOMETHING I WISH.

I wish i could turn of all cockpit and exterior lights without turning the power off. It’s sometime too dark at the dark sides of the moons so if i could turn off the lights i could see more.

I wish (at least at this stage when most time spent ingame is exploring and taking screenshots and videos of beautiful inovae engine) to have free camera view around the ship. It would be perfect if we could send out a drone who could let’s say move freely in ships “gravity field” and you could control it. For example: i tun on flight assist on, set speed and direction to planets horizont, dispach drone and control it from 50-100m around the ship (in atmospehere), up to 1km (in space). It would make it a lot easier to make cool screenshots, videos and maybe will be useful in gameplay later on, i think.

That’s all for now.

My Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4710HQ
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 850M 4GB DDR3
SSD: Samsung Blue 250GB

P.S. Sorry for my grammar.

8 Likes

The jumping player is due to the netcode probably. This is hopefully fixed with the new netcode.

Ha I remember that.

1 Like

4K G-sync & Hotas-X test

https://vimeo.com/202842641
60 FPS video
So I’ve been testing this new g-sync enabled monitor and I’m pretty impressed by how smooth recording and game-play is.

16 Likes

One word: Amazing. Especially love the flight at 4:09+. I’m assuming you pushed the details to extreme ? It seemed like the details on terrain were higher than usual. Good news is that I’m making a new version soon which should hopefully increase performance and remove some of the stuttering, so next time you should be able to record a video with an even smoother framerate :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Yes, that’s where this immersion junkie likes it. [quote=“INovaeFlavien, post:36, topic:4854”]
a new version soon
[/quote]

:kissing_heart: Awesomeness!

3 Likes