Personal Projects Thread

Big step Japa, I wish you all the best, hope you will keep us updated. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m honestly more shocked about the fact that $270 a month is considered something you can live off of. I’ll consider chipping in one I start my new job but hot damn, that’s not even a third of an apartments rent in Mid-west U.S.

3 Likes

I recently played around with three.js and created a visualisation of an astro database (https://github.com/astronexus/HYG-Database).
I uploaded it here: http://ama-gi.github.io/ [WARNING: Its performance heavy] (it doesn’t contain the full database, just a part of it)
You can use the sidebar to switch between stars that have proper names.
I abandoned this project because Javascript can’t seem to handle large numbers well (necessary for space stuff) without loss of accuracy or heavy performance impact.

2 Likes

I’m currently teaching myself about TDD so that I don’t get the urge to stab myself repeatedly when I return to the ICN replacement project I started working on years ago.

1 Like

Still trucking along with Armok Vision.

Got transparent windows working:

8 Likes

Hey guys, I’ve got a personal project that I’ve been working on here and there for a little bit now and I figured I would share it here.

It’s an N-Body simulation written in Javascript using Three.js. It’s called js-n-body and you can find it on github here and you can see it working on heroku here. There are plenty of settings to tweak in the bottom left of the screen so feel free to twiddle with them ( beware of possible bugs of course :smile: ).

Please feel free to check it out and let me know what you guys think. Ideas and critiques/criticism are welcome!

EDIT: Also, the controls are in the bottom right, just fyi.

2 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile: After 3 years I had a large central body with a few stable orbits, including a large ā€˜gas giant’ on a highly elliptical orbit with a ~5 year period. It really wrecked havoc on its way back towards periapsis :smile:

Nice work!

1 Like

Thanks! Hahah, I’m glad you enjoyed it! :smile:

Thank you : D

Infinity fever had me going back to my Planet Generator for a few days…

7 Likes

2 years ago I used to work on a space game as well (called ā€œGalacticumā€). It is a procedurally generated 2D game with a whole universe. I abandoned it though in order to to focus more on 3D and to work for a company (I’m currently studying Software Engineering in NL)

Cheers from Germany!

3 Likes

I guess it’s time for a warm ā€œHello, worldā€ to the infinity community - so here it is : hello infinity worlds!.. Yeah. Although I’ve been around this site and the previous one for some years now, I never took time to leave a message, strangely I might say since I do love what’s been played around here : NOT to mention the KS success whatsoever… :wink:
OK, what have I been up to lately ? (A part from still studying at the Uni at the uncanny age of 40) I must confess a strange attraction towards computer dev - personal projects of the unachievable type… I’ll let you guess what’s behind this sentence. Still, I did hit some results - and I guess this one might interest many of you (of us) who stick around here :

Yes. It’s a galaxy. It is a 100% procedural thing, generated and rendered in volume (~117 million voxels). I started this (well the first iteration of this, which I dare not show here) sometimes in 2013, as my first attempt at OpenGL - I’ve been enhancing it since, whenever I got a chance to (meaning spare time).
I did try a planet rendering project too, the same year - it is a ā€˜cuboid’ tessellation based on ROAM, runs mostly on the CPU (for the adaptive generation part) and so lags like hell for any positional update (popping artifacts). I will stray from it in the next prototype… (which is half worked out on paper but can’t find time to test it though).

A part from programming (and studying computer science, gfrrr), I also dabble in computer sounds - I’ll leave it at that, but you’re welcome to check this page out if you wish to : https://soundcloud.com/yankee-charlie

OK. Thanks for reading this, I just wanted to say a good friendly Hello to all of you, who I know share that peculiar ā€˜space passion’… and it is well fueled by Flavien’s undeterred endeavor here, no doubt ! - peace -

9 Likes

Spent the last week adding weather to my procedural planet generator…

5 Likes

I’m here to present the newest addition to the world’s internet of things…My air conditioner! Finally got around to writing up the switch statement that sets the commands straight and I spent the last half hour dinking around with it.

I did run into a hilarious bug because I didn’t reset the command at the end of the loop so at half second intervals(my delay time for the loop) the AC would repeat the most recently send command which at first was on/off. Totally unexpected and definitely worth it to get excited to hear it turn off and then confused when it turned itself back on and off…repeatedly. I’m really curious what would happen if I set a super small delay but I’ll wait until I’m moving out of this place to test the limits of the AC unit…

It’s not a beautiful setup by any means…but it works! I plan to power the arduino through a RPI through which I’ll be giving it commands. The Pi will be connected to the internets so I can ssh in from anywhere and turn it on when I’m away so that the place is nice and cold when I get back.

All it takes to transmit is the transistor, 470 ohm resistor, and an IR led. The big block on that board is an IR receiver that I used to receive/save the codes I need to transmit.

5 Likes

A little Armok Vision video I made.

3 Likes

Looking pretty slick there, @Japa! :smiley:

My personal projects aren’t that impressive. I’ve poked around with some video editing programs and made two music videos and then argued ā€œFair Useā€ with YouTube. Apparently my argument stuck as they are still there.



Criticism appreciated.

Also just got a new labrador retriever puppy ā€œRobinā€ to replace ā€œMeganā€ who died of bone cancer 4 months ago. That’s a big project (mostly in poop maintenance).

I build and maintain 480V and up power systems for various customers for Siemens with a focus on system protection and control. Our biggest client is currently in this general area. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fort+George+G.+Meade/@39.1107235,-76.7129059,13.5z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89b7e884ef59c9a7:0x7415c717d592761d

Nothing amazing I suppose, but I’m an old fart.

4 Likes

my next investment is going to be the iTelescope stellarium for star parties with my californian astroleague.

i spend a lot of time stargazing with my best friend/friends and i’ve been wanting to look more at the milky way. i have no idea how this will turn out, as i am about to spend my tax return on a huge telescope (and figure a way how to transport it with my car).

i figure i could post pictures, but this guy basically nails down what it would look like.

i have also done weather simulated 15 gal aquarium. i am planning on making an even smaller one for a 5 gal of my own controlled weather cycle.

i have more projects, but a lot of them are going to be announced as apps with correlated devices in the next 6 months.

2 Likes

15 bucks of paint and a free afternoon later, the most glorified cheap plastic hubcaps you’ve ever seen:

Yes, my car is filthy dirty.

8 Likes

Picked up a rather huge car project a few weeks ago, and actually started on it last week.
Converting a 1998 automatic V6 mustang to a manual mustang GT (V8)
This means changing out pretty much everything… the rear-end, drive train, transmission, engine, various electronic things, and the muffler/exhaust.

When me and a friend broke into it (saturday morning) we started with my car (the V6) and a wrecked 1996 mustang GT as the donor car. We started with the rear end and found out the spider gear was missing a couple teeth… which could have been why it was wrecked (heh). While transfering over the butt end of stuff, the rear end got rebuilt with 3.73 gears. We also dropped in a control arm upgrade that made everything a fair bit stiffer.

The engine and transmission dropped in it the next day (sunday) by the end of the day and went fairly well, but we did not quite reach our goal, which was to have it ā€œrunningā€ in two days. A few more after-work hours in the week and its running! If a bit terribly… lol

Turns out the engine harness from the V6 to the V8 is a lot different, and the PCM connector is missing a few pins on the female side. So tomorrow I’ll go out there and see about routing a few wires. As it sits it is only firing on 5 cylinders.

I do have a bunch of pictures, but I’ve been so busy working on car stuff over the last week and weekend that I haven’t gotten around to uploading them to my server

It sounds so badass even with only 5 cylinders firing on the 3" exhaust that was built for it… has a nice almost classic american muscle sound to it. The mufflers I had put in are glasspacks. Much good.

Must sleep. Will update more later… sometime

6 Likes