[OG] The Old Guard (133 members - Pre KS nominees are listed in 4th post)

I wonder if I qualify. I was pretty active on the old forums beginning in late 2007. Maybe some of you remember me. I certainly remember a lot of you. I never got around to making a new account on these forums, but when I heard that the kickstarter was finally happening I decided to come check things out and stumbled upon this thread. Can I join your club?

2 Likes

I certainly remember you and I am puzzled why you are not nominated (because I though I put you in my original nominee list).

Edit: Ah it’s because you didn’t have an account back then. But had you had an account I would have certainly nominated you back then. Welcome aboard :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can confirm my subjective perceived ā€œactivenessā€ and ā€œknowingnessā€ of this individual.

Oh the grand master already checked you in. Well welcome from me too.

1 Like

I can see that they’re already slowly dripping back.

1 Like

@Lomsor

Do you happen to have the names in one column and in alphabetical order somewhere? Just asking before I start to organize them myself.

The 3 column version (as it is posted in the forums) seems to have the columns separated with just lots of spaces(?) so it’s not a simple matter of copy pasting it if I want to preserve the 1 column format (which I want at least for now).

It is formated in an external editor with spaces then entered as a preformated element (but 4 spaces in front every line )

As said. It’s ā€œrelativelyā€ easy with a vertical text editor. As the list won’t change much I thought that would be acceptabble.

This is the ā€œby join dateā€ version, the one you didn’t ask for, just for reference:
http://pastebin.com/5tP7QhxN

Here’s a tool that can do it easily, you have to remove the numbering first though. I did it for you here, including the 4 spaces, took me two minutes:
http://pastebin.com/jt4BzFit

1 Like

Thank you! Might have taken me more than 2 minutes. :wink:

Replacing the joining order by an alphabetical order ->

I’ve been following the project for a while but I have never been an active member.

Would I still be eligible for joining or is it little too late?

1 Like

Hmm… I think the question is do you feel like that? What would joining the OG mean to you personally? If you personally don’t feel like you were active in the past then would it make sense for you to want to join it? I mean joining the group by definition means you were somewhat active in the forums before. If not according to someone else (nomination) then at the very least according to your own experience.

The original purpose of the group is to be a small unofficial tribute to those who have actively participated in building the community even before a successful KS. A sort of thank-you-for-our-time-together kind of thing from one community member to another community member. It’s not like not being in the group will make a member of the community any less valuable member.

Consider it like this: there is a war veteran club downtown. There are some nice fellows (like you) there and you like hanging around with them. Would you still want to join the war veteran club even though you never fought in any war? I know the analogy sucks (I don’t have a post traumatic stress disorder from hanging around with you guys! I honestly don’t!) but the idea is kinda the same.

In the end OG should be considered like just another Infinity Corporation (like Axis etc.) but without any in-game objectives or rivalries. It’s not an official thing and it shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

So what are your own thoughts about this?


P.S. a warm welcome to the community never the less! (when did you join the forums by the way?)

1 Like

I feel that by joining the group I’d be differentiating myself from the rest as one of the first people who really supported and believed in the project every step of the way before things really took off.

My activity however, was limited to checking for new blog posts religiously on a near daily basis and reading up on super long threads at least until the forums got revamped; then it just became the former, although I’m finding that I do the latter more than ever.

In truth it seems I’m more concerned about making it something of a status symbol rather than joining for what it truly is. :confused:

You know, the more I think about it, the more I feel I’m less ā€œOld Guardā€ and more just, ā€œOldā€ā€¦ :sweat_smile:

So with that I guess ā€œNo. I probably shouldn’t be.ā€.


P.S. thank you very much! I only recently joined the new forums as my profile suggests but I was a member of the old forums back in either 07 or 09 which I’m still unsure of but at least by 09.

3 Likes

Heh, compared to most people in this thread, I came in pretty late to the game. For the sake of saking I looked up when a friend pointed infinity out to me via email. This was July 31st, 2012.

Yeah, i acted like this too, reading the forums every day since 2008 but never joining the discussions. This site is for me the warmest and coziest place on the Internet, where passionate people share the same dream. I consider myself some type of ghost who took part of everything, read every update and felt great when some news where popping up, but never interacted with the others.

1 Like

I’m in the same position.

It’s a nice status symbol to be a part of it, but I can live without it as well.

1 Like

What is this and did I win?

5 Likes

Well well. They are crawling out of the woodwork aren’t they :wink:

Yes you ā€œwinā€.

What is your response to the nomination(s)?

Well that’s a very pretty badge, so count me in.
It’s just a shame Delver, Deep_Thought and Critic are higher in the list than I.

2 Likes

It’s alphabetical now. Can’t complain :wink:

1 Like

I can… I was (almost) next to Irashi before. I felt like that held some kind of meaning.

3 Likes

WB @jukelo, haven’t heard from you in ages!

Been on IRC all along, it’s just that forum software has never rubbed me the right way. But with the imminent KS I thought I’d say hi and see if you guys had any cookies.

1 Like