No Man's Sky - Hello Games

really? 3 people? jeez

It looks like 3 coders, and a lone artist.

3 coders and an LSD-fueled solo artist…

2 Likes

What an excellent job you guys are doing. I have not been this excited about a game engine ever! You have my 110% support. Great work guys. You have inspired me to play around and see if I’m any good at it. Hopefully you will be able to licence your engine to hobbyists when you’re in a better position. No man’s sky at E3 looks great, it’s how I came to find out about you guys.

That’s great and all, but I-Novae aren’t making No Man’s Sky…

1 Like

You might want to tell @IllOO that since he created this thread. Besides, I see those statements as an enthusiastic compliment to Inovae Studios.

New interview with the devs: http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/06/11/no-mans-sky-the-story-gameplay-and-multiplayer-explained

Little disappointed at the amount of pretending that this is all ground breaking. Dat sony marketing department doe.

2 Likes

I agree, but I have to wonder about the marketing i-novae has been doing over the years.

I have yet to see any article pertaining to NMS in which i-novae is mentioned in either the article itself or the comments in any capacity what so ever.

Its sad that after all this time people are just now catching on. I try to mention i-novae whenever this tech is talked about but literally no one ever knows what I am talking about.

I would also like to point out that I am not sure how smart it is to take NMS to the PS4 first. I just don’t see a large community being built for this game on PS4. Not to say that the PS4 community won’t like it, but it seems much more in line with the PC community.

The short answer is we haven’t been doing any marketing. Once we’re ready to launch our Kickstarter that will be the first time we formally begin a major marketing push however, in the meantime, we greatly appreciate the evangelism conducted by yourself and others!

I’m inclined to agree with you that PC is a better launch platform, hence the reason it’s our primary focus, but after all the hype from their first video they probably needed Sony’s cash to actually finish the game.

Now imagine that In the middle of all this hype, there is a solo developer who rushed a bit to launch his kickstarter before infinity, with a way more amateur looking game, using a double precision space travel engine with minecraft-like building of ships and outposts and smooth voxel build/mine/destroy terrain ( so not really seamless, switching from planet to terrain when landing) . And he gets compared to No man’s sky.

That’s me - You can have a look if you want http://kck.st/1lKqvkf

Of course I will back Infinity, like I backed elite and star citizen. In fact I would even be interested in licensing the I-novae engine !

3 Likes

This article felt so ignorant that it caused me to necro this thread…

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/529136/no-mans-sky-a-vast-game-crafted-by-algorithms/

…and now my eye won’t stop twitching.

Yeah nearly all of the reporting on NMS has been equally uninformed. They have benefited tremendously from Sony’s marketing.

2 Likes

“No game has made it possible to fly down to a planet, and for it to be planet-sized, and feature life, ecology, lakes, caves, waterfalls, and canyons, then seamlessly fly up through the stratosphere and take to space again. It’s a tremendous challenge.”

I am having a hard time putting into words why this bugs me. It is petty, I know, but there’s just a ‘wrongness’ to it.

Another thing that bugs me is the tech sites treating this as ground breaking. Where have they been? The internet has been around a while and so has this tech. One would think that even after the debut of NMS that they would research the subject.

After all these years of playing games like Evochron Mercenary and seeing that first tech demo for Infinity, then NMS swoops in and steals the show and its treated like its completely unique.

Just had to vent a little. I do wish these guys the best of luck.

1 Like

I guess nobody has time to make a proper research these days. It`s like the google-search phenomenon. Most people only look at the first results-page, everything beyond that is already considered a “thourough research” :frowning: But I confess, I am one of them. We have a huuuge information overflow, it takes time to find the original or the true one, but look at the first sentence of this post… so we end up using our few trusted news-sites, where the highly compressed and time-saving information we seek is offered. So I guess even professionals are affected by this trend.

Neither Infinity or Evochron had all of the elements of “life, ecology, lakes, caves, waterfalls” on their planets, so the quote seems legitimate to me. If they can really deliver on all that then NMS truly will be ground breaking and deserve the attention its getting.

1 Like

I agree, but all that is simply adding to something that was already there. Its essentially the next phase. Not something the developers conceived of all on their own. Yes, by definition it is unique, I’ll admit that, but they aren’t doing anything completely new.

Honestly, the more I hear about NMS, the more I think of Spore.

2 Likes

That was exactly my initial impression when I saw their first video.

3 Likes

By that definition there are almost no “completely new” games. Virtually every game builds upon design patterns that already exist. I have trouble thinking of anything sensible that they could add to the “space-sim with planetary landings” genre that would be completely new.

As to the comparison to Spore; I saw a cake come out of the oven burnt once. I don’t now think that all cakes are inedible.

1 Like

I think the point that’s being made is that your burnt cake didn’t spend millions of dollars telling you that it would be a completely new and neever-before-seen type of pastry with such features as “icing” and “a new sort of strawberries”, or rather, that if it had you would have been somewhat more likely to think that the next cake that did this would also come out burnt.

3 Likes

My comparison to Spore, which could have been much more specific, was related to the way Spore’s possibilities seemed incredible but each part of the game was underdeveloped. I base that on what little Hello Games has actually shown at this point.

And, you’re right there aren’t many completely new games anymore. My point is this, this is not some fundamental shift in gaming tech and it kind of bugs me that its talked about that way. I’m not angry about it, just slightly disappointed. Also disappointed its going to the PS4, or rather that the PS4 is the priority. That isn’t bad or anything, but it shows a likely direction for the game and I’d be very surprised that I would even be interested in that direction.

But, I could be wrong and NMS is everything we’ve hoped for, we’ll have to wait and see.

1 Like