I really enjoy the new update! The new quest and reputation system adds lots of immersion. Also the new Ultra HD textures make the game visually more appealing.
It is definitely worth another try!
I really enjoy the new update! The new quest and reputation system adds lots of immersion. Also the new Ultra HD textures make the game visually more appealing.
It is definitely worth another try!
I read the patch notes and itâs floating orbs(icons) that represent other playersâ position. From what I understand thereâs limited VOIP as well.
Scott Manley plays
âHas âNo Manâs Skyâ finally become the game that Sean promised?â
Short answer: No
He made a lot of claims being interviewed, including the infamous âyou could meet another player but it would be extremely unlikely due to the size of the universeâ and only now they have implement a limited presence of other players as floating orbs.
They have a ways to go before they get close to offering what was âpromisedâ.
I do, however, commend them for not dropping it, as has been done by EA and ME:A, and continuing to work on it. But really thatâs the least they could do and I canât help but think that they wonât be releasing a second game any time soon. Who would invest in them at this point?
I think they could still attract a publisher for a different game considering what the devs have achieved so far, but I imagine the contract would require a total gag order for Sean (assuming his ego can handle that).
If we remove the reckless promises and Sonyâs marketing hype from the equation, you basically now have a very competent Early Access game with features being added each major patch.
The game is enjoyable for me to an extent but the lack of control customization and restrictive UI needs to be improved for PC.
I think Sean would have to be effectively gagged and forbidden from doing any press interviews.
Well, thatâs the problem when your studio lead is basically a Molyneux. You let them get near the press and they get excited and then the vision they offer far outstrips the reality of what is achievable.
Welp, the latest update has finally fixed the thing I was most irritated by. The ships now handle like ships and not a refrigerator.
Patch Notes
Nice work Hello Games.
True. However literally these leads can lead to titles like Populous, Flood, Power Monger and Syndicate during the Amiga era. Bullfrog was a state of the art studio at the late 80s/early 90s. Nothing bad with founders like Molyneux (whoâs profile was known in the 90s already) leading a studio. For me there are still large large differences between Molynous and Sean! Molyneux did already deliver multiple times based on his visions where Sean failed suspiciously early.
Except⌠Molyneux rarely ever delivered on his vision, he delivered something that was considerably watered down. Not far removed from what Hello Games have done.
Itâs a shame the studio went to cross-platform development.
For such an ambitious game and rather medium / small dev team, it necessarly waters down a lot of gameplay into performance and portability.
Not to say that this was the main reason of the failure, but it certainly plays an important part, IMHO.
Exactly. In the later years after Black & White it was obvious he didnât try to find practical ways to implement his grand visions. He wanted to innovate for the sake of innovation and not to benefit the gameplay.
I feel sorry for HGâs dev team because they have done a lot to build the game to where it deserves to be. The media trajectory was too sudden for HG and I think Sean developed too much of a god-complex just like Molyneux. If it had a slower introduction through Early Access maybe we wouldnât have the same bitter aftertaste about Sean.
Totally agree, though Iâd point out that Molyneux was slipping at the time of Black & White too, itâs just Fable proved to be his eventual undoing
I wonder what makes you think that [âwatered downâ deliverables] would be the case during the Bullfrog Studioo era (before it was bought by EA)? I cantâ see anything boiled down in their early releases e.g. the games I mentioned. Iâd agree for the Lionhead Studio releases, but not what he did previously in the late 80s/ early 90s especially on the Amiga.
Molyneux lost his connection to deliver good/final/you-name-it games during the B&W and Fable series (or eventually earlier when EA got more involved), but Sean and HG is definitely on another (lower) level.
I canât speak so much for the Bullfrog era, as it was a bit before my time. But I think the rise of ârockstar producersâ like Molyneux has made this kind of behaviour considered more acceptable, because innovation is celebrated. So then you end up getting the likes of Sean Murray that promises big and falls short, or the likes of Chris Roberts that promises big, but canât schedule development for a damn (letâs not forget that Freelancer, his last successful game, was rescued by Microsoft when Digital Anvil blew the budget and the schedule trying to deliver on their promises).
You can still get a good game out as a result, but if you buy into the hype youâre gonna be disappointed.
HyperbumpâŚ
Looks like Next will add actual player avatars for multiplayer.
Any news on them adding stars and orbiting planets/moons?
@Naiba Was that really something, that people were concerned about? Never heard that being brought up by people when talking about NMS. It was always about multiplayer this n that.
It is simply not that kind of game so I wouldnât bother getting your hopes up.
Murray talked about how the game was going to have proper orbiting and rotating planets and moons before it launched. How static everything is takes me out of the experience.
Having some more diverse environments would be nice, with proper system layouts. Being able to get up close to suns, gas giants with cloud-stations, actual asteroid belts, all that good stuff. Maybe some (rare) lost alien mega-structures like ringworlds thrown in too.