No Man's Sky - Hello Games

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

No Man’s Sky release date has been set for June 2016.

I genuinely can’t see anything interesting beyond pretty colours and shooting chicken walkers. The best word I can find for the planetary transitions is “fudged”.

It will be an amazing success of course but after seeing what Infinity is capable of there is just no way to trump it.

2 Likes

I will enjoy the exploration and uncovering the ambiguous mystery. I love those games. All that space sim / crafting / selling wumbojumbo is feature creep in my opinion.

Pretty much any space sim can have pretty much all of my money at the moment. Except Star Citizen, you’ve already had your lot.

4 Likes

I really don’t get why people keep throwing so much money at that.
To me it seems games like NMS, I:B, E:D are much more interesting because of their more space sized game worlds and seamless planetary landings. But I guess for many that just doesn’t matter as much.

Yeah. I don’t get it.

It looks like it’ll be just as boring as Spore, just in first person.

All the fudging they do with bad LOD transitions makes the planetary gen look terrible, too. :confused:

E:D doesn’t feel big to me except for the sloooowwwww travel times that add nothing to the game. It’s full of loading screens.
Star Citizen is supposed to have procedurally generated planets and seamless transitions from space to planets, no?

Star Citizen appeals to me quite a bit except for their plans for the economy.
Some people are going to have stuff worth tens of thousands of dollars in that game, and eventually the servers will go down, or they’ll lose access to their account, or something.

Simple answer: No.
you are misinformed.

It was one of their stretch goals that they reached… 50 or 60mil, I think.

The stretch goal was for a procedural generation R&D team.

The problem is that their landing zones, that they have spent lots and lots of development on, is not compatible with a fully free form planet where you can land anywhere. IF they ever do something it will most likely be similar to previous Mass Effect games where you get a cutscene while a planetary environment is generated for you to explore. It will still be a closed off (and separate) map though.

People expecting seamless travel down to the surface with manual control in Star Citizen are going to be disappointed.

1 Like

some procedural generation for asteroid, terrain and buildings but no seamless transition and not planets, simply limited maps like you find in almost every shooter.

Yes, Star Citizen has never promised fully seamless planetary landings. They might try eventually, but not at release.

Yeah, I guess they don’t say there would be seamless transitions. But they do say whole continents with procedural cities.

I wouldn’t try to read between the lines too much until they start showing prototypes.

He never mentioned procedural cities though…

Large landmasses too explore, sure. As I said similar to what previous Mass Effect games did…but of course these will be bigger and more detailed. At least I hope so since this is something noone should expect too see in Star Citizen until several years after the first official release…which is still maybe 2 years away. So the potential fruits of this work is maybe 4 years or longer into the future.

keep dreaming.

2 Likes

So the release date got announced for No Man’s Sky today, 21 June, below is a quick preview.

1 Like

Kind of hoping that ps vr will be released (and supported) by then.

1 Like

Here is a bit of a more in-depth discussion of the gameplay that was revealed to some prominent gaming press, also I couldn’t resist, pre-ordered the game a few days ago for the PC.

6 Likes

Haven’t seen anyone posting this video yet.

The only real problem I got so far is that I don’t know how life (at that magnitude) can be developed at a -163.4°C planet. But iunno, as an exploration game it looks pretty. The last 2 minutes where he shows up the galaxy map is quite pretty.

4 Likes