Well whatever it was, looking forward to the kickstarter, and wishing you best luck
And thats you?
Is it really that complicated to dump that info into a file? Or you just donāt want to commit to the feature?
Hereās a random thought that just popped into my mind:
Should the kickstarter be successful (fingers crossed) to your minimum target level of funding, what does this actually mean as far as getting a number of devs/artists working full-time?
That is: does this mean that there will be scope for two or three members of the team to work on I:B full-time, the number scaling up depending on the success of the campaign?
I appreciate this will only be known at the end of the campaign itself so, I totally understand if there isnāt a concrete answer as it stands.
And no business is exactly the same. Infinity choose the path of creating a quality base product first, and scaling it for consumers second. If more businesses choose this path, maybe we would get games/software/etc that wouldnāt be in perpetual beta, riddled with bugs, or missing features.
I completely agree with both of you, but that doesnāt mean that winning will not be fun or that the majority of players would rather lose because itās more fun.
As @DirkLarien mentioned, EVE Online has gameplay mechanics that pretty heavily focus on winning. The gameplay itself is not particularly engaging, but if you like to win, itās a great game. Huge battles and vast territories and grand alliances hang in the balance. Wins are WINS, like no other game.
When I played eve I definitely focused on my own definition of winning. You donāt need to participate in a lagfest 500v500 fleetbattle to win a fight. I never fought in a fight with more than 50-75ish ships. Why? Because anything larger than small gang was unfun for me because of the meta of it all. Calling targets and focus firing is boring. I won(and lost) my fights by trying to be a better pilot and hitting the right fleet targets first whether that was glass cannon dps, their RR, their command ship, etc.
Your second example of scouting is exactly what scouting is in Eve. Instead of 1AU the distance is 14.7 or something, and your probe is your ship. Sometimes you canāt know whatās on the gate on the otherside of the system because itās too far away(unless you had it prebookmarked).
To my knowledge, business existed for thousands of years
While that may be true, the business for Oil didnāt exist 300 hundred years ago and the business for commercial airtravel didnāt exist 150 years ago, like the business of computers barely existed 50 years ago. The concept of business lasted for thousands of years, but the niche in which a business may operate is constantly changing. 8 years ago when I started following Infinity, there was no kickstarter, there was no way for them to launch or get funding. It didnāt exist. Things have changed now. Just because business existed 10 years ago doesnāt mean the project would have succeeded.
I think you misunderstood JB as well.
Also, for future reference thereās an edit button thatās quite useful in consolidating posts.
Is it really that complicated to dump that info into a file? Or you just donāt want to commit to the feature?
I would hope itās because they are deciding which stats they want to release and which they do not. Iāve already given my feedback on what I believe to be important and harmful in stat tracking and I donāt want to repeat myself at the risk of becoming a broken record.
they are deciding which stats they want to release and which they do not.
I want to know what level Iām in. For some it might be important to know stats that help them learn from there mistakes.
Bottom 10%-20% is enough at that level. at a higher level it might be important to know if Iām flying too far from targets for weapons to hit.
And thats you?
I now name you king of snarky children.
Bentware,
To me, stats != rank. I have stated I donāt know how to do rank and I have no ideas for it. All Iām saying is that there are certain stats they should not release.
higher level it might be important to know if Iām flying too far from targets for weapons to hit.
This is extremely difficult data to track and not worth their time. How would you track this sort of data? This is more for the pilot to realize āIām at 10km and my weapons only hit at 5kmā sort of thing unless a % of shots fired when no one is around/in range is a useful statistic to you? It certainly isnāt to me.
I agree stats can help improve your gameplay, but there are a lot of stats that are ridiculous tedius or just plain unhelpful/waste of time for them to implement, such as how many seconds I am not moving. Who cares? That wonāt even make me a better pilot. Thatās an easy one to implement too. My first example of %shots fired when out of range? That wonāt help me as a pilot at all.
Quick Update
The test session went really well; there was no major trouble, other than some scheduling problems thanks to Google disagreeing with other websites reporting the current time ( heavy suspect: some took into account EU daylight savings, others did not ).
Nobody had any major issue to run the prototype, as far as I know: no stability issues, no crashes and framerate was pretty much in line with expectations. A couple of visual glitches here and there, but nothing to be concerned about.
Everybody seemed to enjoy the (short) experience and wish for more. Lots of useful feedback, a couple of concerns, some of which weāll address, some of which we cannot ( due to the short amount of time before we launch the campaign ). So thanks to all the participants !
Next step: Kickstarter !
Everybody seemed to enjoy the (short) experience and wish for more.
I take it you were satisfied with the ability of new players to pick up the game.
Mostly, the general consensus was we still have a bit of work to do on that front however, given that itās a prototype, we werenāt particularly surprised by that feedback.
I notice the Battlescape site went āUnder construction⦠:)ā today. Will it be updated in parallel with the launch of the Kickstarter campaign or can we expect to see something sooner?
You can expect something sooner however the full site will not be launched until right before the campaign goes live - unless we change our minds.
Actually, no. People were fine during that test, because 1) theyāre familiar with the game, concepts, and some had already played the ICP. and 2) I was there with them on Skype to tutor them, explain the controls, the HUD etcā¦
But I think thereās definitely an entry barrier to being able to play and handle the controls.
Weād need a good tutorial mode, a better HUD, support for controllers ( atm itās only keyboard + mouse ) etc⦠but due to lack of time / funding itās not really something we can address before the KS launch. Iāll stick to various, more practical improvements for now.
Itāll probably be acceptable for sneak peaks for the āpressā ⦠thatās why you did this ⦠didnāt you.

Whoops. I had too many threads up, put it in the wrong thread. No wonder I thought I had to backtrack.
Edit 2: No, stats were discussed here also. No matter, I put it in the āPilot Rankingsā thread. Long story short, stats that donāt turn the community toxic is good. If it gets toxic, they need to be cut out.
Just launch the Kickstarter already.Have you heard of the Lean startup? Testing, prototyping an idea before going full scale and wasting years?You wasted like 10 years before revealing it to the public, to see their reaction. Congrats
How many games companies have you actually seen successfully apply that though? Especially games companies that, for the most part, have only had one developer through most of its lifespan.
Given that the vision 10 years ago was an engine capable of generating a galaxy to be inhabited by thousands (or millions) of players, how do you determine what a succesful prototype is of the overall concept? There has certainly been at least one prototype of the combat model and networking, which is more or less what Battlescape will be, as far as I can tell (but with a much larger scope).
How do you do game development faster? Do you have the answer?
@INovaeFlavien Congrats on the playtest. I would have loved to have been part of it, but the recent OS update and not-quite-overpowered-enough graphics card would probably have made life difficult 
Looking forward to more comprehensive reviews from participants when the KS launches.
EDIT:
Itāll probably be acceptable for sneak peaks for the āpressā
Sorry, couldnāt resist 
Iv been following for years way back when u didnāt have this nice new Web page and forums, thanks to this post itās finally paid off !!!
Those videos made my week. If there is any chance of recordings from the open trail being released its gonna make my month.
I will be definitely pledging for Alpha access if there is an option once you get KāS going.
No, those are the devs.