Kickstarter Milestone and Excited Keyboard Bashing Thread (111% FUNDED)

I am not sure if riding on the Chris Roberts wave is the way to go.
It looks like wanting to build your success on that of others.

Wrong thread? What prompted you to post that?

INS are not trying to ride the ā€˜Chris Roberts’ wave… If Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous didn’t exist we’d still be here right now having the Battlescape Kickstarter. In fact, if they didn’t exist the Battlescape Kickstarter would probably be funded already.

3 Likes

That was what I meant. The Chris Roberts banner is now very prominent visible on the BS KS page.
I think this will not have a positive influence.

So your point was they should have launched their KS three years ago?

Good feedback there :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I think that would have been better. And given that this was not done I would avoid making the link to SC too obvious.
Now a lot of people new to BS will look at the KS page and think: This is a spin-off of SC. It is basically sending traffic to Chris Roberts (which is of course nice) but at this stage not the best way to go.

I totally disagree.
The vast majority of potential backers will already be aware of SC and ED and would make comparisons anyway.
Having CR’s comment there isn’t going to increase something which would have been at maximum anyway, so I think the effect of that quote can only be positive.

5 Likes

Hello. New user here! I’ve been following the project closely for years. I made an account yesterday, finally, and this morning I felt compelled to post about a concern I was having. I think we need to be very careful about the way we (fans) explain game mechanics, game-related features, concept art, etc to any new backers. When Charlie Nguyen backed for 2500$ yesterday and expressed interest in old concept art, I was dismayed to see someone crushing that hope.

I think we need to be especially careful about putting down any ideas and/or features that may be the thing that motivates a person to back the project-- so long of course as it’s not too far from reality. In fact, keep in mind what INS answered just before that post: ā€œNone of the designs you see are final and we’ll likely be re-concepting everything once the Kickstarter completesā€. At the moment, it’s still entirely possible that old concept might make it into the game. Maybe, maybe not, and that’s the point.

Unfortunately, we can’t really say why it happened, but it’s Charlie Nguyen who removed his 2500$ pledge. I had a bad feeling yesterday when one of his sources of inspiration for the game (the concept art he liked) was put down as no longer being part of the game. We just need to be careful, especially with someone willing to puttng down that kind of pledge.

5 Likes

Welcome Eithos, nice to see that you have decided to go vocal with your concerns and ideas.

I have to disagree there. There was only one answer to the mentioned interest in old concept art. That answer came from @Kichae and was very reserved:

@Charlie Nguyen I could be wrong, but I suspect that fighter plane styled ship is concept art for a faction not currently expected to be seen in Battlescape. It strongly resembles the design language that was being used for some of the expanded universe discussions on the forums way back when.

While still providing some info what may and may not be in the project that he was pledging for. No one else answered other then that.

I don’t think that this comment alone crushed anything. There may well be a lot of other reasons why Charlie completely removed his pledge from the Battlescape campaign.

4 Likes

Even if it is a setback monetary wise, its better to say if something might not be in the game rather than keeping quiet about it. It’s certainly better in the long run and prevents people from going off rails screaming ā€˜false advertising’. It sucks for Nguyen that he might not be able to see that fighter he took a liking to, but it is better than telling him ā€˜oh yeah that fighter will completely 100% surely be in there’ just to get his money.

3 Likes

When considerable amount of someone’s money is on the table, they deserve to make decisions with the best knowledge available. If they were pledging all of that money because they were hopeful of seeing Deltan ships in the game, they were going to end up feeling supremely ripped off in the end.

There’s a moral imparitive to say something at that point. So I said something.

6 Likes

Also … something similar to this …

With a custom skin … which he would have got at that tier. Would have looked sick too.

2 Likes

I think the time for crossing fingers really hard, is upon us. If within the last four days, it looks bad target wise, I’ll buy another package, or up my existing pledge by the same amount of my previous pledge.
Its that important to get it funded people, think on.

Think three or four years ahead. :wink:

Oh, now that’s exciting. Just got to get past that first hurdle.

Agreed. As mentioned, the concept art on the site isn’t ā€˜old’ or not going to be used. It’s entirely possible we may add some of those ships after launch as DLC. The current crop of StarFold ships may be entirely revamped based on yet to be made concepts and play testing. Though I do agree Kichae’s answer was appropriate and pretty tame.

We are entering the worst days of KS, despite a good effort from the devs the twitter/reddit has been mostly barren and we have no videos by new youtubers, we need to do another publicity push.

1 Like

Has anyone followed up with Angry Joe about doing a video/livestream. And I’m sure its any day now that we hear news about Chris Roberts trying out the prototype. Ben Lesnic did say he was ā€œgenerally thrilledā€ to try it. This was days ago now, so one could hazard a guess that he and Ben have installed it

1 Like

People don’t understand that comments can negatively influence the kickstarter. When someone pledges he might want to check what others think about the kickstarter by checking the comments. If the comments are negative it’s likely that person will not back it. If they’re positive then people are more likely to back it because of the bandwagon effect.
If you’re from here please try to keep doubts, worries and questions to the FORUMS, and if you see any negative comments try to post one positive comment, and if others do the same the negative comments could be buried where people don’t see them.

2 Likes

If they both do a video it should provide a decent boost in the coming days.

I agree. Maybe a dev can contact Joe again, on his various contacts, youtube, twitter etc.

Scott Manley might even do one last small video in the closing days.

Nobody was able to get a reply from Joe as far as I know. Not even the devs.

Ok ta, but we shouldn’t stop trying. Maybe some other ways inc direct on the angry army forums. Starting a thread there.