Kerbal Multiplayer Server - Updated - Now with 100% more planets

I’m not asked … CKAN just crashes with an “unknown exception” error. Too many mods provide KW Rockety Redux Power.

I had a similar issue with scatterer, it seems to be a recent bug with CKAN. In my case I uninstalled scatterer, installed the dependency and then scatterer. So in your case I’d suggest completely uninstalling all KW related things, and then try the install. from file. If that still doesn’t work uninstall KW, then install it and then apply the modkpack.

Or you could choose the correct power mod for “everyone” and just ass it to the ckan installation file…

1 Like

I’m trying to enforce as few choices as possible, basically only parts packs are required. Not even something as core as FAR is a required mod! Graduated response is pretty annoying to design around, I like the challenge but if I had to choose one to enforce on everyone I’d have to go with instant response. tl;dr why take away the choice if I don’t have to?

One of the two power packs is required, the installation file just does not work without you choosing one in the installation file. I mean, the setup to get into the game should be easy and the file provided should work without problems. If Lomsor is having trouble getting on the server, I would imagine most others that try and are confronted with a fatal error when following your instructions will give up. It’s just very sloppy to be distributing files that crash the installer program because of some insignificant freedom of choice phylosophical reason. If I was a casual in this community and a fatal error appeared, I would probably skip the game.

/rant off

I don’t think adding the choice into the file would help, I had the same problem with scatterer and I obviously don’t install the modpack. Instead it just seems to be a bug with upgrading any mod which has optional+mutually exclusive dependencies.

The correct workaround would more likely be for me to tell you to delete your KSP directory and clean install the modpack every time I put out a new one (since the bug is in upgrading, but installing is fine).

I’m pretty disappointed with just how badly CKAN is letting us down. It’s getting to the point I’m tempted just to host the entire mod pack myself :frowning:

I had problems with DarkMultiPlayer, InfernalRobotics, KW Rockety Redux, Module Manager.
(I uninstalled all mods and then tried to install the modpack)

I then stopped trying to install it with the CKAN file and installed them one by one (using CKAN except for DarkMultiplayer)

When I tried to enter the server after that I was not allowed because the mod RasterPropMonitor was missing.
That mod is whitelist only so I think it’s a mistake that it tries to enforce it.

It’s on a clean install …

Frankly the CKAN file does not work. I had to first switch the KSP version in the readme file to get it to find Dark Multiplayer.

Tried to install KW rocketry manually, which gives me the chance to choose, but now it fails to download from github … (which may be a problem on my side …)

Did you even try out the file yourself Martin? Judging by the amount of hurdles I can’t imagine how it is supposed to work at all.

1 Like

Ckan works just fine you just need to export the KW-Power mod as part of the installation, the file I provided in the other thread installs without problems.

Ok I’ve hosted a modpack with the graduated power added in to see if that works.

Does anyone know it RPM adds any parts (I never use the mod)? The server part list is auto generated, so I’m hesitant to remove something that it put as a requirement…

What kind of problems? Refusing to install them because they’re incompatible?

No I didn’t. It already took me nearly an hour to patch everything and ensure that every single mod works properly both in KSP singleplayer and multiplayer. I guess I’ll have to install a second copy of KSP just to try out all the patching and stuff as well :frowning:

Do you guys think it would just be simpler if I hosted a zip full of mods and we dropped CKAN? Or is this all my fault and I should just get better at writing CKAN files? :stuck_out_tongue:

You can check the contents of a mod by clicking on the contents button in ckan, mu files are 3d model files.

1 Like

Good idea!

There are some models in RPM, so I guess that will have to become a required mod (unless we remove it altogether).

1 Like

DarkMultiPlayer had the obvious no version for your version of KSP problem.
The others had problems with version number conflicts.
I think CKAN somehow runs into bugs when it tries to enforce mod versions and there are mod dependencies which also try to install “submods”

Test with your new modpack:

The following inconsistencies were found:
Kopernicus requires a version 2:release-1-0-3. However a incompatible version, 2:release-1-0-4, is in the resolver

Using CKAN I think the only working option is using a “CKAN favorites list”
and then checking the version numbers by hand.
The main problem here is that it isn’t easy to install an older version once you found a mismatch…

1 Like

Looks like Kopernicus and OPM released updates since I upgraded the modpack. Although I’m not too sure why that leads to an error…

Ugh, if we’re going to do that I’ll just host the entire modpack in a zip and people can manually install it. I think that would be easier than half using CKAN (and then inevitably dealing with whatever it breaks).

I’ll try packaging up my install and transplanting it onto a clean install of KSP.

Just use a favourites list, it will work and we can deal with too new mods when they become a problem.

Alright, by popular demand here are some favourites lists:

I have not tested these, but I don’t think there’s a whole lot to go wrong with CKAN with this system (famous last words).

I just checked what that update was:

The long awaited patch 2.0 has just been released for OPM… All the solid planets and moons have had a complete overhaul…

Compatibility

This update won’t break any saves outright, but the changes are severe enough that problems can occur…
Move all your vessels on solid OPM bodies (Sarnus, Urlum and Neidon are safe) to at least an orbit 10 km above the underlying terrain
Loading this save in OPM 2.0 now should not destroy any of your vessels…

That doesn’t explain the crash but I think we will run into problems if the server has 1.9.5 and some of the players 2.0…

That probably won’t be a problem since we don’t have any craft landed (or even in orbit) of the outer planets. So long as all players are up to do with OPM 1:2.0 (latest on CKAN right now).

Right now the server doesn’t actually require OPM, which is definitely something I should fix later.

Ok …

  • Changed version to 1.1.0
  • [CKAN] Used Fav. Pack to install mods
  • Changed version to 1.1.2
  • Clicked away a bunch of mod windows asking about updates …
  • Got ingame (yay)
  • [CKAN] Installed KW Rocketry
  • [CKAN] Updated module manager
  • Game doesn’t load anymore (eye)
  • [CKAN] Update everything …
  • Game still doesn’t load, stuck at “Building Asset Bundle Definitions”

:sweat:

Try this:
Install DarkMulitplayer Mod manually using this link: https://spacedock.info/mod/10

CKAN should now autodetect that the mod is already installed (AD)
Now use the Fav Pack provided by Martin 4 posts above to install the other mods