It’s not a 30 day campaign, it’s usually a 7-10 day campaign at the most. Then it’s all over but the crying. We all know most kickstarter campaigns can be modelled according to an exponential decay function, and right now yours is curve fitting beautifully, with the unfortunate side effect of projecting to be short of goal.
At this juncture, it looks like plan A isn’t going well, a classic sign that it’s time for plan B. @NavyFish and others have proposed several ideas which many of the forum members believe have merit.
It’s obviously up to the devs whether to accede to the community or continue on their prelaunch path, but everyone here wants to see Battlescape do really, really well. (And not that it matters in any way but I was a forum member from 2007-2009)
One idea would be to get a few of them in the same voice channel as well. Both because they could make a joint interview sort of thing and because one of the fun parts in fighting is taunting your opponent, praising their skills, joking, sharing stories or tactics and generally having fun with others. I believe that’s one of the reasons people join corporations/guilds in the first place, to have fun with others. And one of the reasons bluedrake’s stream was so fun, since he was sharing his experience with a friend. Showing that in a stream, having the different teams sharing information, trying to coordinate, experimenting with things and generally having fun could help show what the game could be.
I sure wish I could magic those videos out of thin air tonight as they would really useful on the SC forums whilst discussing planetary transitioning. Inc one going in, and back out whilst being fired upon and having to dodge and weave whilst trying to enter the atmosphere. This would far better demonstrate the transitioning is fluid and seamless, and action can occur at any time.
I’ve mentioned the flight models change during this time. But I don’t know if the same is true for a gas giant. i.e. is it different again from a planetary atmospheric entry flight model. One would assume so.
I don’t know if this has already been mentioned or not, but I think its worth pointing out that this Kickstarter has only been up for a few days and it already has 36% of its funding, I would not worry about its success - I think it has more than enough content to show people what Infinity is all about.
Only thing I would have mentioned is the eventual goal to have a full MMORPG using funds raised from Infinity:Battlescape (at least that was the plan I remember from like 1year ago) but I think Keith and Flavien have produced a superb Kickstarter.
I wish them the very best success in their endeavour - having followed these guys for about 5-6 years, and seeing how patient they have been with developing this incredible game engine, I can say they have the grit, the determination, and more importantly the proof that they have what it takes to be a success.
Jesus christ, I’m sitting in front of my computer have minor panic attacks every day when I check the kickstarter (I’m a natural worryer) >.< So I’m all for people contacting as many they can and trying to get the word out.
Just remember guys there is such a thing as over-advertising and over-evangelising a product; I’ve seen it happen before and it has some highly negative consequences.
I’m all for getting the word out into the big wide web, but don’t be too aggressive about it
They exist in the form of the archived livestreams on YouTube. You just need to use the time indicators in the video link to make the video start at the desired time. e.g.:
That link will start after a respawn, and the guy flies through the rings and pretty much belly flops right onto the planet’s surface. It keeps going after that, but it starts at pretty much the right place to show spawn-to-smacking into a world.
It might help to try to set up a scenario. Have all the devs waiting at the ground complex (does this exist in the prototype?) or a station. And ask the live streamers to form a wing and attack you, or something.
Something more focused than just flying around and maybe taking pot shots as whoever happens to be close.
When you’re chatting to them, be clear the prototype is only tiny sample of what’s planned.
If they refer to what they’re playing as “the game”, correct them. The game will have more players, more ships, more weapons, more options, etc.
But I still think a new custom pre-rendered one would be better. Doing the same, but this time being fired upon as he transitions, having to dodge and weave. To show those who think its somehow on rails during transitioning. Going down to the surface, and coming back up orientated towards the planetary rings for visual effect. ?
@INovaeGene@Hutchings One more thing…if you haven’t already can you please set up a Twitch or Youtube Gaming account so that you can do impromptu streams covering things that we are trying to address. You’ll need it for the rest of the game’s development anyway.
Of course you can’t fix the KS page…so make up for it elsewhere! Present the stream as a Q&A with the community in a week or two and just methodically go through a list of items.
On the subject of fixing the Kickstarter page, what is the thinking behind the oversized “staff pick” logo on the project? Can someone explain why it’s a good idea?
It seems to yield the prime position on the pitch to an award that is given to a lot of very average projects on Kickstarter. It’s difficult to find examples of other projects that even use the logo in their pitch when it’s been awarded to them, let alone give it the best spot on the page.
Yeah. I agree with this. It should appear lower down the page, smaller, and centred. It’s more important to sell the game than to say “hey, Kickstarter like the looks of this one”.