One of the first things the teacher told me in a public speaking class was:
Know your audience
Your loyal community is not your audience for the Kickstarter. We already get it. Showing another full transition isn’t going to drive us away. Even if it bores you to tears to say the same thing over and over again, I guarantee you, there are people who still haven’t heard of you.
Be clear for them. Be concise for them. Do not compromise the message for fear of boredom or redundancy. Brevity is to keep from losing their attention, but if the message is lost, then it didn’t do the job.
We can’t change what’s already out there, so everyone just needs to pitch in and make sure that the concept of battlescape is clearly conveyed
In case I’m missing something, what kind of progression is there? I’m not seeing any. I can’t get behind a game that does not have some type of progression, as I wouldn’t play it more than 2-3 matches
All in all, I’m unimpressed. There are no visual effects other than the cockpit shaking (and only the cockpit shakes, not the character PoV), the planetscapes are barren, there’s no sense that you’re controlling the ship.
It’s not even a pre-alpha prototype right now. What does he expect the kickstarter to provide money for? It’s not like the kickstarter is going to provide funding to continue adding more visual effects, newer models and all that…
And then the second part, the “there’s no sense that you’re controlling the ship.”
I’m not even sure what he means, does he find it unnecessary for us to pilot the ship while entering/exiting planets sphere of influence? That’s like a huge fun part of the entire concept, to actually pilot your ship as you switch from space to atmospheric combat, to decide exactly what you want to do.
Then
Admittedly, this appears to be a concept video for a Kickstarter - not clear how much of it is actual mechanics in an engine and how much is concept video.
It is a pure gameplay video, what’s not clear? What is in the video is actual engine mechanics, there’s no CGI or after effects used. The kickstarter page contains what they (Flavien and his team) wants to do with the engine. This all just looks like someone who watched some small snippets of the video, skipping through large parts and then not reading anything on the kickstarterpage.
You could be pedantic and tell them that their progression is in the form of improving their skills as pilot in a newtonian battlescape. I don’t recommend that though.
Between matches, afaik there is none. It’s basically counterstrike matches with battlefields the size of a solar system. The progression through a single match is there, and is different for every game. Maybe in one game you prioritize capital ships and rush their bases and it ends quickly, maybe the next match lasts a week because you both were able to counter the initial push and place resources and fight over planets/moons/roids you have never flown around before.
Tell that to him not us! We already know
Try and do it as nice and respectfully as possible too
No, that comment means that the viewer did not get the feeling that the streamer was in control of his ship as it entered the atmosphere. Basically, it’s back-handedly accusing the game of treating atmospheric entry as an animation or cut scene.
I’m not sure why. Maybe because in the first streams the pilots actually did a decent job of entry? Today’s stream makes it pretty clear that the pilot is in full control (or lack thereof!) for the entire trip.
Which is why I’ve asked for some videos like linked above with people shooting at you as your transitioning in, and then out of the atmosphere up to rings in space. Perfect for use on that thread.
That is the game in 2 years. As far as I know, there aren’t plans for progression between matches. The game won’t be for everyone, that’s okay. If the man wants RPG-like progression then battlescape isn’t the game for him. That’s the simple truth of it unfortunately - don’t force it on him. Focus on the people who don’t mind not having that sort of in-match only progression.
“There’s no plan for any kind of persistent progression between rounds or across servers. It’s an ultra-large scale, round based arena combat and exploration game. Obviously, it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea.”
Depending on funding, the rounds could last days. Maybe even a full week. Maybe longer, if there’s a really scrappy team in play. Essentially, until one team wins.
I think Flavien did say that a ‘round’ could technically be up for day(s). But I guess it’s hard to pinpoint exactly how long a round will take since they cannot do a proper testing of it, it’s most likely pure speculations.
Make sure you emphasize that every match will be different due to the decisions people take and how they/where they choose to send their capitals and strategies to fight.