I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

You can visit the dark side atm, and it can look great it’s just not ideal for streaming as there is work yet to be done on IBL that causes visual issues. It’s still great to fly around in, just not ideal.

That’s what I meant, yeah.

And how long is that station? I heard someone say 10km or 30km before I think. Is it that big? Doesn’t look that long but don’t have much of a frame of reference.

MOAR REELZ! MOOAAR REEEEEEELZ!

No, it isn’t. It’s down to whether the ship can match the luminosity of the star at that particular wave band. That’s true regardless of the waveband. The energy per unit area per unit wavelength will have to approximate that of the star in order to blend in, otherwise it will produce a shadow in that waveband. If you’re going to do that using a black body spectrum (i.e. actually heat), then your ship will end up being as bright as the star at nearly all wavelengths.

Glare is glare is glare. If you can filter glare at one wavelength, you can filter it at any, and so the idea of hiding in it is lost.

2 Likes

Are we not capable of “tunneling” certain frequencies of electromagnetic spectrum around an object even at this time, this was in the news a few years back, essentially cloaks are already possible, however they do not work at all frequencies.

The only way to really feel the scale is to fly past it in the proto. You’ll see when we stream next.

3 Likes

This was done in MS Paint.

Google tells me a Star Destroyer is 1600m long. Looks bigger now doesn’t it.

11 Likes

Yeah, it is. You just said what I said with fancier jargon. You say luminosity and I say heat level. It boils down to the crap hitting the observer’s sensor. If I can get my ship to match the crap hitting that sensor with whatever’s behind me, I can hide from that sensor because it gets the same values for me and the background.

What does a super star destroyer look like parked next to it? :wink:

1 Like

Not exactly: a ship could emit the same amount of energy but in different frequencies - for example, with more infrared, or with blue band missing.
That’s actually how we expect to detect Dyson spheres: they would radiate as much as a star, but in different wavelengths (mostly IR IIRC)

However, a ship could potentially use metamaterials or some kind of field to bend light and become nearly invisible, with the added bonus that it would resist better to some forms of laser attacks and survive longer close to the star itself. It would, however, have a harder time getting rid of its own internal heat. You can see an example in this remarkable documentary (I think that “undiscovered country” is a reference to the metamaterials we are only beginning to develop).

Also, note that any scheme relying on the star imply that the defender has no distant sensor platform that would see the attacker from another point.

Also note that it’s a good thing Infinity isn’t too hard-SF. Liberally but carefully applied handwavium can be a good thing.

Also, this station is bigger than most game worlds, even when factoring the size of the player avatar.

Considering that an Executor-class super star destroyer is 19 kilometers, it would look something like this:

5 Likes

Even factoring the size of the player avatar, this thing is bigger than most game worlds.

And than to the horizon for most places we see.

@Kichae To mistake “it’s impossible” for “I don’t know how to do it” is easy. Even if you are really smart to explain why it would not work “this” way, you are far to prove that there is no ways to do it.

My humble point of view is that it’s really hard to give an answer that close minds and interrogations about something and to not be wrong at the same time.

Nothing personal, and sorry if I didn’t correctly read you, but if you cannot demonstrate that there is no ways (curious to see that), don’t say there is no ways to make it

I know exactly how to do it. Say “I don’t give a shit about things that we know” and make a mechanic that’s internally inconsistent, because teh magiks!

1 Like

The only boundary is your imagination

I would argue that the whole idea of interplanetary warfare by spaceships with lasers is pretty far of from reality. But its just so much fun. Why ruin the fun because it may be unrealistic? It’s not like there exists a popular movie series with telepathic space knight with bogus laser swords. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Maybe the begining of a possiblity of an answer here ? http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nnano.2015.228.html

Can you guys avoid bickering in this thread? It’s like one of the main arrival points for newbies to I:B.

3 Likes

You know that is a term made up for Star Trek because (as far as I know) The author of the book with Dyson Rings would not let them use the term.
A Dyson Sphere? how would that even work?

My mind cannot grasp that level of laziness. Take 10 seconds to check the Wikipedia page on Dyson Spheres and verify your facts before you immortalize your thoughts on the web.

They were described nearly 80 years ago and popularized 55 years ago.

3 Likes

I’m sure somewhere in the deep dark pits of these forums, you’ve said something on a whim.

1 Like