I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

Flaviens blog has 3 new screenies…

Buuuuuut:
If you look to the left in flaviens second shot you see a big gas giant.

Big plain ending in a nice mountain range.

15 Likes

I’ll accept the videos for payment as well.

2 Likes

Six LIKES!?! No no no!!! If we all cry and claim that won’t work we might get MORE!!!

Possibly defeated by Jan. (The one with the ship is my favoret.)<-- spellchecker failure.

2 Likes

I am really interested in that gas giant. Is it a prototype, or is it fully implemented? Does it look the same from far away as it looks when you get near it, or is there a visible change when the gase gets rendered?

1 Like

Yes, can we expect to see any form of jovian atmosphere if we fly into it?

1 Like

At the moment no, gas giants are one of the things that need a lot of attention post KS.

2 Likes

So what is in place now? You can expect almost everybody to attempt to try to fly into the gas giant.

There won’t be a gas giant in I:BS.

1 Like

Really? Okay, I guess that answers that.

I must have missed the post where the system was described.

Does it have technical reasons ?

The reason is that the current place-holder implementation of clouds doesn’t look anywhere near good enough close up and implementing a good enough clouds system would take considerable dev time which could otherwise be spent implementing features that provide greater value for effort in terms of gameplay impact vs dev time.

That was a mammoth of a sentence.

3 Likes

We definitely intend to have a gas giant in Battlescape. If we can’t get volumetric clouds/atmosphere done due to budgeting/scope, we’ll likely just have the players ship implode due to pressure before they can get deep enough into the atmo to fly through the placeholder cloud layers.

4 Likes

Ah ok.
I’m pretty sure one of you said I:BS simply wouldn’t have them.

1 Like

If you find out whoever said that I’ll yell at them, unless it was me…

4 Likes

We’ve had a gas giant in our KS vid / proto for years now, so I don’t think you’ll find any of us saying that Battlescape wouldn’t have a gas giant. What somebody probably said ( probably me ? ) that volumetric clouds in gas giants was an unknown.

2 Likes

Thanks INovae guys for such quick and complete answer(s)!

1 Like

Had a quick search and I can’t find anything explicit. I had probably just got the impression from the repeated statements about clouds not being worked on for Battlescape and the fact that the current implementation is unsatisfactory.


Anyway. thanks for clarifying. I can imagine a gas giant or two providing a nice backdrop for Battlescape even if we're not going to be diving through the atmosphere.
3 Likes

I don’t think diving into a jupiter-size planet is going to get old any time soon regardless of cloud tech.

1 Like

I thought I was looking at the battlescape arena in those screenies. :wink:

Glad to see Big Purple made it.


Just say that, until year (insert year number of IBS here), absolutely nobody wanted to fly into a gas giant. Suddenly, for no explicit reason, thousands (tens of thousands? Hundreds? MILLIONS?!?) of people said: “Hey, I want to know what happens when I fly into a gas giant”. Because all of those people lost their lives due to a severe case of spontaneous evaporation, research was conducted to resolve the issue.

2 Likes

It’s abbreviated as I:B, not I:BS. Come on guys, get with the program ; )