I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

Can we see another planet in this screenshot? Or am I imagining things.

I think that’s a star, since its not responding to the color of the sun.

1 Like

The Japa is correct!

Realized why the different coloured screen shots feel weird. I’d expect the ground to be illuminated way more, since it’s being hit by direct light from the star. Either the star itself looks way bigger than it should*, or the ground is really dark. Am I seeing things?

(*Not sure if stars in the system are being rendered with correct size or not. They appear pretty much the same in all of the shots, but I have no idea how far they are from the screen shots. )

Nice screenshots @Hutchings, thanks for sharing, is it possible to pick a planet that is closer to its star for the next batch?

Possible yes, but I have some other things in mind first :wink:

2 Likes

Will stars be physical objects which you can fly to, like in Elite: Dangerous?

Not in Battlescape- at least I don’t think so. But the engine certainly has the capability, and interstellar travel is one of the main features of the full game. From the info we have right now, flying between star systems in Infinity will be much better than E:D, since E:D hides their instancing system behind super cruise and warp drive. Infinity will be truly seamless.

Yes stars are physical objects you can fly to however unlike E:D we actually model their brightness so you will be blinded by them long before you reach them. Also your ship will burn up as well.

2 Likes

Wait, so there is no “mass effect” type of special effect like seen here?

Also there is no way to harvest energy from a star to make long journeys to unexplored territory?

In Battlescape, there wont be any territory, explored or otherwise, you don’t have the energy to reach from the second you spawn.

In Infinity the MMO, I can only say that ram scoops similar to what E:D uses, with the added ability to harvest gas from rather more accessible gas giants, have been taken as given for half a decade or so. No, I’m not saying E:D stole the idea, I’m saying the old Elite games had a lot of influence on our way of thinking back then (and still do, for that matter). I’m also not saying they’ll definitively be in, just that us forumites have been speculating.

Variable opacity anti-glare cockpit canopy as an upgrade?

1 Like

Sure, look for it in the Marketplace :stuck_out_tongue:

Such items would definetly sell.

2 Likes

Even primitive spacefarers could do it:

1 Like

We’ve talked about adding that however we have no plans to do so for Battlescape specifically at the moment.

1 Like

In their description of red-blue stars Kichae mentioned that for eye they looks more like white stars then red or blue. I want to make clear that mostly any color feels like white in their maximum because all 3 types of cones in our retina reacts on all spectrum but with different responsivity. So if signal reaches enough power all your cones will be output near 100%. Only blue cone have significant drop in red, and green and red ones responsivity spectrums are so close to each other that you will never see a green star, and even in pure red filters bright star will be orange.

We currently model this as we generate our star colors from the appropriate black body spectrum however our stars in recent screen shots have been more colorful due to artistic license.

Indeed, I’ve been tweaking things to get nice visual results, but only so much… The settings are still within the realm of possibility. :wink:

Strictly speaking that’s not true (the part about stars appearing orange in pure red filters; the Sun peaks in the green, so it is what a “green” star looks like). At least, whether it’s true or not depends on what kind of filter we’re talking about. Narrow band red filters, like hydrogen-alpha filters, make stars (well, the Sun) appear to be vibrant red in colour. We’re talking red laser pointer red here. Wide band filters (like the R filter) actually have a band width that stretches into the green, and a response curve that still lets in 50% of the incident yellow light. So that orange colour isn’t, strictly speaking, caused only by a trick of the biology of the eye, but also by the fact that red filters aren’t “pure” red.

1 Like

So I checked the Twitter feed and found this in it:

https://twitter.com/inovae_kimmo/status/556156403443048448

7 Likes