I see your perspetive, and I too like the team’s recent willingness to share. But my fear is that, if not already, eventually that ‘training’ will become abrasive enough to sour their attitudes, even just on an indivual basis, leading them to disregard community feedback altogether. That would be bad.
Let me pour some fuel on that rant of yours, we are all here because of the “promises” (used very loosely) that were made many years ago, a MMO, full galaxy, corporations, procedural planets, NPCs, community content, dozen ship classes, player background story, Earth mystery and the list goes into some 100k posts in the gameplay forum alone…
I just hope that what they “promise” for KS, when there is actually money and customers involved is something that they can deliver. Also the community is something that INS is supposed to help shape, a few months ago we had no involvement, if the community is looking poisoned it all happened with no dev input.
/water
The spike in activity from the devs is really great and a positive action for the community, keep it up INS.
/off topic
You back from deployment Navy, you were absent since before these new forums came online iirc?
I stopped participating in the forums mid 2010 as our training and deployment cycle started to ramp up and life just got too busy. Since then I’ve deployed several times and moved back and forth across the country even more than that. But I’ve finally ‘settled’ back down (in Colorado) for a bit while as I ride out my last 2 years in the Navy. I’ve lurked the new forums fairly irregularly for a year now. What got me back to being active in recent weeks was seeing a fellow old-timer posting some new contribution work on the old contributions thread. I guess a bit of nostalgia struck me, and I ended up sending him a PM. It’s the personal relationships which keep the community together (in my case at least :)) Thanks for asking
I don’t see the trend of pointing out negatives as a feeling of self-entitlement. I see it as a result of a community with high expectations who want INS to be successful.
I do see where Gene is coming from being as a developer rather than just a prospect like the rest of us. Either way, we’re all fans of Infinity or else we wouldn’t be here waiting.
He’s always the one who participants as the bad guy. I applaud him for it.
Long time lurker. The video looks good, I was honestly impressed watching it. It brought back a good bit of the tingle I felt watching the old 2010 tech demo. I’m really looking forward to the crowdfunding launch.
Pre-empt criticism/wrong impression in KS pitch by giving a blunt but transparent explanation for not doing it. I’m guessing it is just too complex and not worth half-assing. E.G. showing the gist of that complexity and how far beyond budget (time/$/etc) a worthwhile execution would be - with a quick & dirty but accurate photoshopped mock-up to clearly convey what the text says.
Do you mean, the engine will do some kind of auto-white-balance? I think this is could help with the extreme reddish look. The human eye (as well as a photo camera) would percept white still as white…
I was a bit disappointed by the video. The terrain is very repeating. I understand that it would be difficult to create a planet with a lot of variety, but I was expecting a bit more in this area than is currently shown.
Because there is no ground shadowing and no clouds the terrain looks a bit boring.
Maybe put some rocks here and there, some ridges, some alien trees, etc.
If the level of criticism so far displayed in this threat is enough to make an individual disregard community feedback, then that’s probably a good thing.
Eventually, if I:B is even remotely successful, there will be thousands of bored teenagers telling INovae and the individual members of the team exactly how much they suck, fail at life in general, were clearly bred from lower forms of animals, etc. etc. - this is the internet, after all.
Years of exposure to said internet may be enough to allow a person to shrug all that off, or even enjoy it in a slightly perverse way (I do). If not, better to not even read the forums and focus on making stuff that you enjoy, than seek out community feedback and get an ulcer for your trouble.
You say years of exposure to the internet. I say years of exposure to the poverty line and stupid people. It could be called the same thing, but the internet attitudes I see revolves around (Because I frequent american sites) crappy, ghetto want to be tough but I can’t take a punch, behavior.
Point being, the people don’t know what they want, they can’t handle the truth! So sucker punch them and kick them while they’re down, so they know their place and won’t speak up, unless they truly think they’re right.
That being said, i’m sure the “Not enough exposure” / “bad reception to our wedding ring to space lovers” video thing was covered MONTHS ago. But quite literally, go to a gaming convention and display your goods and the hype will be self generated. Very few things can be considered as bad exposure, as long as your name gets put out there, it doesn’t much tend to matter.
Won’t happen pre-KS meaning: before and including the KS campaign but excluding KS-funded development, or before KS and excluding KS and KS-funded development?
You guys might want to look at it like this - if even the minimum funding goal isn’t reached, will a big sense of regret ensue because the choice to not add clouds been opted in, pre Kickstarter. It could make a dramatic difference in money received! You never know.
I think there’s a lot to gain in numberous ways by working out the cloud situation. I think having a cloudless Battlescape would be a disservice to yourselves. Yes! It would be fantastic to save that for a major update later down the road, just as long as there’s a road to walk on.