I-Novae: Engine Screenshot Thread!

OMG… i love it…

don’t need a red giant to have a red hue to the atmosphere, just look at mars.

@Kichae talking about that could you hit me with some science about mars, titan or even venus type atmosphere?
they all have as far as i know non blue atmosphere and yet they are orbiting the same star as we are
btw i didn’t get lots of time i’m still integrating your equations

It should be about time for a new weekly screeny… :wink:

So, Mars has a lot of dust suspended in its atmosphere which causes Mars’s sky to be rather complex. It also makes it so we’re not entirely sure what colour Mars’s sky actually is. Depending on the time of day and how the images are processed, “true colour” pictures of Mars’s sky show everything from a pink sky to a brown sky to a white sky. Colour calibration for images from Mars is a notoriously difficult problem.

Still, Mars’s sky is distinctly not blue, and it’s because there’s a lot of brown-red particulate matter flying around up there.

Venus has a poorly orange sky. Venus’s atmosphere is 90 times denser than Earth’s, and its clouds are so thick that only 25% of the light from the Sun is able to reach the surface. The atmosphere is thick enough that all of the blue light is scattered away before reaching the surface, leaving only the yellow, orange, and red light. It’s like a cloudy sunset all of the time.

Titan’s atmosphere is really interesting. Titan is rich in simple organic molecules, such as methane and ethane, and its atmosphere is primarily made of nitrogen. Sunlight breaks down the simple organic molecules and nitrogen gas, allowing them to combine to create more complicated organic molecules suspended in in the air. These nitrogen rich organic molecules, known as tholins, are sticky and tar-like, and have a colour similar to thin molasses or even clean motor oil.

So, Mars has red-brown stuff floating in its atmosphere, and this gives its sky a reddish-brownish colour; Titan has brown stuff floating in its atmosphere, and this gives its sky a brownish-yellow colour; Venus’s atmosphere is so thick that it scatters all of the blue-violet light back into space.

3 Likes

So to simulate venus type atmosphere just cram the constant up until it looks like it

But for titant or mars one would need to know the color of the particule in suspension and modulate the scatering by it if i undestand right
Would those affect one type of scattering more then an other?

It’s another week, where is our screenshot?

I think asking nicely will work better… and if we don’t get one this week it is a reminder to the times before weekly screenshots. Patience, my padawan! :smiley:

2 Likes

but of course, I nearly forgot :wink:

Indeed, you are correct in your inquiry.

I shall now attempt to satisfy your needs for new mind gripping content.
This week I present something a little different. Buildings on the surface.

These models are custom created by our art team, and placed on the surface manually for a future “content release,” oh, and you only see a tiny sliver of the scene in this shot… because it’s large city, on an entire moon orbiting a gas giant with multiple moons of course :stuck_out_tongue:

Your weekly dose.

The city is dark… watch the sky…

15 Likes

I thought Titan’s atmosphere was blue-ish, at least in the outern part?
Disclaimer: I’m just saying that basing on some images like this, I’m no expert

On a sidenote, Titan is awesome

1 Like

Would you ever find a city like that, visually, by just flying around the moon or the other one on planet with a city that you have shown?

Wow. Do you plan on procedural placement of these models on planets and moons?

Woah… I hope one day we’ll be able to get off our ship, sit down and admire this kind of things. It’s beautiful.

That looks like a missile emplacement in the foreground :smiley:

Edit: and I can see a few others and what looks to be pipelines in the background. I’m looking forward to seeing our planetary bases/structures in full.

Absolutely breathtaking, cannot wait for the Kickstarter :slight_smile:

Wonderful, i guess you guys are still working on Anti-aliasing?

Some 200 posts up …


Looking forward dropping bombs on those defense turrets!

No, we’re not. The post-process AA we’re using has a hard time when the variance in luminance is lower, like it is in that screen shot, because that’s what it uses for edge detection.

1 Like

I don’t know a single space game without aliased thin lines, no matter what setting, I always get aliasing.

Because they’re so realistic! Damn them human eyes and their physical limits being portrayed in space games…