Elite: Dangerous

Probably, so?

First off, I’m not so much thinking true precomputing as “can it be done between when you decide to go to the planet and when you see it?”, since, well, precomputing an entire galaxy is a lot easier than saving the results. Second, even if it can’t be done before you see it, that doesn’t actually matter if you’re making a game rather than writing an academic paper (unless, that is, you’re trying to make it entirely on your own from your savings). All you have to do is find some way to let the player believe the planet’s always been there.

A friend had the premium beta so I got to give it a go last week and I have now bought myself into the next beta phase. While I’m not a huge fan of the flight model the controls are almost completely customisable (handy given that the default m+k controls are crud) and I’ve found a setup that I’m quite comfortable with. Whether or not I can match up to someone piloting with a joystick I’m yet to find out, but my friend has also offered to give me his once he gets a new one for himself.

The third combat scenario seems to be the best one to learn how to fight on, from initially getting hammered by the AI I can now easily win without even losing my shields.

If we are speculating, i would think that a ‘rivers and lakes’ map does not have to be in bitmap. It could very well be a limited number of points between the highest and lowest, in between which the local algorithm can fill in the blanks.

The standard beta was released on schedule on the 29th and I’ve been having a lot of fun playing it. This version adds a lot of extra content and graphical polish.

Here’s some in-game screens:














http://i.imgur.com/6BR6dRv.png

Pretty nice!

1 Like

Updated title accordingly.

So far, this seems to be the best-looking space sim out there. I never was a fan of the previous Elite ship shapes, but damn those ones look good. I don’t know who is behind their art direction, but kudos to them.
I hope I:B will manage to top that :smiley:

From what I’ve heard the ship shapes of previous Elite games were heavily influenced by their having a graphics engine that could do curves better than any that came before it. “When you have a hammer” and all that. Meanwhile, their current art direction is “what it used to look like, except with a million dollar’s worth of details”, or maybe that’s just how it seems to me. I agree it works rather well.

Having said that…

If you’re talking about looks, and your post sure makes it seem like you’re talking about looks, I’d have to say “don’t hold your breath”. Mostly because I don’t want to be rude and my initial reaction of “are you bloody stupid?!!?” seemed rather impolite.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it wouldn’t be awesome, or that the people working for INovae are any less brilliant than the ones working for Frontier, or it isn’t conceivable that I:B could get a $3 million Kickstarter.

I’m saying Frontier already exists. With people used to working together, most of them full-time and paid.

INovae, meanwhile, would have to either burn the money (literally, maybe they could use smoke signals for job ads?), delay their launch by about half a decade (this is just to hire developers and familiarize them with their new tools, making the game starts later), or simply declare that anything beyond the first million or so goes to making sure any new features of future games in the same engine gets ported to I:B (which, come to think of it, would actually be kind of awesome for both costumers and developers).

Original ideas and a willingness to try to do something truly new can do a lot, but it can’t make a “better looking version of this multi-million-dollar game that was just released”. That’s why indie games are more often described as having an “art style” than “good looks”.

…Anyone else manage to suicide ram into another ship while trying to turbo out of the dock and lose a thousand credits worth of cargo?

Well, not exactly. I’m talking about the “feel” (“atmosphere” didn’t seem like the good word), which has more to do with art style than how much money is thrown at it - though it helps, obviously.
For example, I still think Ico is one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever (recently) played, despite having PS2-standard graphics. It’s actually the only game ever to make me seriously regreat not having a console, but I digress.
For a counter-example, SC, despite its cutting-edge engine and dozens of millions, leave me “meh” as far as “feel” goes.

So when I say that I hope I-Novae can top that, I mean that they come up with consistent, well-defined, distinctive(*) art that can give the game its own “feel”.
When I watch ED images or videos, I think “That’s ED, and that’s freaking cool” more than “That’s a space sim, and that looks nice”.
When I’ll watch I:B, I hope to think “That’s I:B, and that’s freaking cool”.

So,

I like good looks, but I want good art style.

(*) distinctive doesn’t always mean original. It means that you can recognize it, even if it’s still based on Standard Human SF Spaceships. Originality here is generally overrated.

Well, as far as style goes it’s certainly more likely I:B will be able to top E:D. As it is now, it’ll be tough, but I can’t help but feel it’ll become easier as new versions of E:D are released to the public.

Why?

Artists, like all creative individuals (I’m including programmers, carpenters, and lobbyists in that, btw), tend to want to test their limits. In the first three Elite games, as well as in SC, those limits were very clearly defined as “anything you can possibly think of that works in this cutting edge graphical engine!” (even today one of the Elites gets a paragraph in most books on 3D rendering). Whether the results were distinctive is certainly subjective, but personally I tend to agree with “meh”.

In E:D’s early versions, the limit was instead “look at the models from the original games, recreate them, then do anything you can possible think of that works in this really not bad graphical engine to improve them” - a reduction in artistic freedom by 6-10 orders of magnitude, going by Moore’s law.

Once they’re done recreating the originals, though, do they return to their original design philosophy, or do they try to force themselves to mimic the results of a decades old style? If the latter, and if the INovae artists keep a very tight rein on themselves (yet somehow remain creative), I:B could win out on distinctiveness.

From what I’ve seen so far, though… well, it started out as being a free for all completely volunteer we’ll sort out the legals later, is now volunteer with some entry restrictions, and it shows. Most of the models seem less like “pick a faction, design something that looks like it’d work” and more like “design something, try to fit it to a faction, figure out how it might work”. Still looks cool, just not as distinctive as I would expect from a collection of superhuman genius game artists.

Though I am by no means an authority on the subject.

2 Likes

So, I think I’ve been sold on this game now…

Shame I didn’t have the money available to pick it up when the lifetime access thing was available.

I’ve spent most of the day trying to find how to build a map by inspecting the game process’s memory. No real progress though.

I had a quick go of this the other day.

My first experience was difficult however, the controls on my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick seemed very sluggish and required a fairly large amount of (and still incomplete) setting up. I’m not entirely sure if the sluggishness is something to do with the game, or it might simply be a controller conflict, as I also have a gamepad plugged in. I’ll try it another time with the gamepad unplugged and see how that goes.

I use this: http://evilc.com/joomla/articles/9-code/autohotkey/1-ujr-universal-joystick-remapper

Despite being able to play it online it still feels like a very solo game as there is no real way to work in a group at the moment. I’m hopeful that they will be adding stuff like having friends / group members highlighted in a different colour and the ability to travel as a group (or at the very least keep track of each other while travelling). As it stands I very rarely actually see the friend that I “play with”, and even when we are both in the same instance at a station the game is liable to randomly shift one of us to a different instance at any moment.

Perhaps once the game is more co-opable it would be worth grouping up with a few people from these forums?

Also, word of warning about Dahan station “Dahan Gateway”. This station in particular seems to have some lag/stuttering issues and will occasionally try to kill you when docking/undocking… as in the whole station will jump twenty meters and plant you in a wall where the docking port used to be.

This should so be in a SF novel. In the harsh, hostile environment of deep space, far from anything and trying to kill you as soon as you stop paying attention. And the only safe haven trillions of km around sometimes stutter through space and time when you’re trying to board and leave. Now that would bring some nice atmosphere.
In fact, I have to note that somewhere and try to work with it - so thanks for the idea!

2 Likes

That first clip… wow. I’ve actually been using Dahan as one of my main trade destinations despite the risk. I think I will stop now.

2 Likes

WOOOOP!
I’ve just been doing a bit more playing around with Elite and can now get actual coordinates for star systems (Something the UI doesn’t expose)
Eg. In game it looks like the coordinates of Eranin are something like -22.8, 36.6, -1.2 when in fact they are 49962.15625, 41021.53125, 24103.8125.

Using this data along with market price data I can calculate profitable trade routes and that’s just the start.
I’m planning to use the Neo4j graph database engine. Does anyone have any experience with it or with other graph databases?

PS. I hasten to add that I have to visit stations to get the market data from them. Also for those of you who may consider this cheating, it’s nothing that can’t be done with pen and paper. I’m just automating it.

This might help you with the prices, I think Dwarden went around and populated all the available systems.

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/