Yes, and I tend to give a quick toggle of FA off and vertical thrust to boost my turn speed even more. It’s just the planes in space thing that will never gel with me, it’s artificial and feels restrictive. The ICP felt so free with the ability to be agile in all directions, and showed that full Newtonian combat could be enjoyable and skilful.
I’m guessing IBS will be a take on planes in space, judging from some of Keith’s posts?
Problem with Newtonian flight is that Newtonian is not for most people and most people is where the money is.
I am where the money is 
I have a job now
so there is money over here as well.
My direct experience is that for small studios, niches are where the money is. The big labels usually have the “most people” markets well covered.
In all likelihood we’ll try a couple of different flight models during play testing so for those of you who want to be a part of figuring that out make sure you pledge the alpha test tier =).
There was a lot of good quality discussion about the flight model on the ‘old’ forum.
ah the good ol’ days.
Keith, you are singing to the choir, give us a pay-pal button 
Cray, my experience is that it’s very hard to make money with niche. I wouldn’t call a slot-machine a niche market and I applaud your success on that front, but reality being that niche is very hard to live off. I sure as hell can not live off the proceeds of Galaxy Union and I doubt you can live off the Cherry Chaser and we are both “one-man” studios. To employ half a dozen people you really need to be bordering on mass market…
Cherry Chaser and Super Snake are niche products within the genre of slot machine games. The analogy would be that they have a different “flight model” to most slot machines on the market, That’s the sole reason that they have been successful, they would not have been successful if they were four or five reel vegas style slot machines.
I do earn enough money from them that I could live off their income fairly comfortably if I wanted to but I’m not yet ready to give up my day job and cut my income by more than half. There is also the issue that I currently only have one customer for my advert inventory (Google) and that’s very risky. I’m working to fix that situation right now.
On the subject of the combat experience in Elite Dangerous, I think the main thing that makes it less fun for me than the ICP is that all Elite weapons have a degree of aim assist. This means that the focus of a fight is more on skilfully managing your energy distribution than it is on dogfighting.
I know that the planes in space model is supposed to encourage close range dogfights but my direct experience and what I have read on the forums and seen on youtube all suggests that the best tactic is to stay at extreme range and use the built in aim assistance to keep hitting your opponent.
Of course, the inclusion of instant hit laser weapons excludes any possibility of dodging incoming fire from a ship using such a tactic.
They are successful, because the “slot-machine” audience is huge, you cover nearly every age group, it has decent gender equality and you have the premium vs ftp model in there. You covered all the bases there, well done.
As for Elite, it’s a personal preference. IMO you are wrong on your conclusions about the ED combat model, but I’m not prepared to argue about that here. My suggestion is that you re-post this on the ED forums and see if some of the Alpha backers are interested in a discussion.
There’s little point in that, it’s far too late for anything substantial to change. I don’t hate the current handling and aiming auto-assist, I just think that the more free handling, manual aiming and lack of instant hit weapons in the ICP made for a superior experience.
As you should 
Superior or inferior is very subjective.
But I think i novae need to differentiate themselves from the Elite or Star Citizen experience.
There’s a lot of Elite backers who are prepared to accept the limits of the “Space Plane” model. They understand there are technical reasons for a speed limit in Elite, but they believe it will generally still be a very good game. And I hope they are right.
I don’t know if the same limitations apply to the I Novae engine, but if they don’t, I Novae should jump on the chance to use a real Newtonian flight model. The warp interference and interception mechanics discussed in the old forum sounded very promising, if they work.
They don’t need to make a “better” game than Elite. Being a small start up company, I doubt they can compete on game content and the things you can do. But they need a game that feels different enough that will make people buy it as well.
The potential market for Infinity is right here:
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8179&highlight=newtonian
Erimus said: However its only realistic if you think of it in terms of 21st century technology. What people who advocate Newtonian physics constantly gloss over is the fact that Elite is set some 1,300 years into the future where fly-by-wire systems will have had centuries upon centuries of constant development to the point where 'aeroplanes in space' could well be the norm (especially at the relatively slow speeds the game is capped at during normal flight).
You know when you read something so dumb it actually hurts? This is that.
Galaxy Map and Hyperspace
Alpha 4.0 has been released. Beta Phase 1 still on target for May 30th.
Here’s some of the things that Alpha 4.0 gives:
Hyperspace jumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvVbyUAwkmk
The Galaxy Map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFcxygJfERY
Ring Systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZdEBIMjYM4
Love the sound effects!
Elite: Dangerous is about to enter the standard beta phase (on July 29th).
Standard beta backers can now download and play the ‘single player combat build’.
I’ve been playing with it for a few days and I’m really not enjoying the roll & pitch flight model.
I need to set up vJoy to change the sensitivity and possibly input scaling of my joystick as there is no way to change sensitivity in-game.
Any others here on the standard beta? What are your first impressions?
I’ve got it, but I haven’t had a chance to play the SPCB yet.
Personally I absolutely love it! 