Elite: Dangerous

A nice remake of the Elite II intro in Horizons.

Hehe, nice! I didn’t know you could have a “non-cockpit” view in ED. Still, the ship making the view must have been pretty hurt when hurling himself at the station entry ^^

Now there’s only to add some big round white clouds in “horizon” and the remake will be complete :slight_smile:

NPCs are getting a bit smarter in the 2.1 update.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/376

2 Likes

Now this gets interesting. Especially the end of the never-ending stationnary spinning :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

I haven’t been following too closely since Horizons and I’m a bit confused on the subject - Do these updates also go to the classic game or do you only get this update if you own Horizons? How do they differentiate the two? I’ve accidentally flown close to a moon and it initiates a landing sequence…what’s stopping me from landing even though I don’t own Horizons?

They - for some reason known to themselves - are maintaining separate Horizons (64bit) and non-Horizons (32 and 64 bit) clients now. These updates ought to go into all the clients in some form. However, if you do not have Horzions, you will not be able to approach planets beyond a certain distance. Nor will you be able to obtain synthesis materials, buy a SRV etc…

This is not a major update, so the fixes ought to apply to all clients. The crafting will obviously only be fully available to Horizons owners, but the non-Horizons clients must of course be updated as well. After all, the players play in the same galaxy, despite the different clients and non-Horizons players may find themselves at the receiving end of crafted weapons. :wink: They said in one of the recent dev updates that the persistent NPCs would be available to the non-Horizons users as well.

Crimeny, that’s such bad game design!

Thanks for the explanation though, it makes more sense what it is.

Please @INovaeFlavien do not let IBS become P2W with golden ammo.

1 Like

I won’t argue that this doesn’t open the possibility for imbalances between Season 1 and Season 2 players. They probably want to push season 1 players into purchasing season 2 at least a little bit. But we’ll see when we know more about crafting.

As it stands, Horizons players could theoretically already craft (synthesis) more effective ammo using materials obtained from planet surfaces. Getting those materials is such a hassle though, that I have yet to see complaints about season 1 players being at a disadvantage.

1 Like

This is why I will continue to play solo, if I ever have absolutely nothing to do other than grind my teeth at a screen.

Yes, I don’t like ED anymore. Such a wasted game IMO.

4 Likes

Reminds me of the quote from the movie Contact: If it’s just us, seems like an awful waste of space.

There is no point to having all that space for a game that can only manage a few players in an instance.

4 Likes

I love that film
… oh well now i want to watch it again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m a simple man.
I see a reference of a good movie, I press like!

2 Likes

I’m a simpler man.
I see someone push like, I push like too. :relaxed:

2 Likes

I’m the simplest man. I like everything. Here, have some likes.

2 Likes

No one out likes me. Take that!

1 Like

I didn’t like that movie. I found it boring, almost dangerously naïve and possibly insulting to the viewer’s intelligence at times. Though it was a long time ago, maybe I would like it better now. But I doubt it, I have only become more critical toward movies and SF with time.
I’m a complicated man.

Now, however it works in the original, it does seem to apply well here, which is why I’m still waiting to see if they can do better than the ‘one km wide, one cm deep’ reputation they are dragging as of now.

The coming persistent NPCs have a lot potential to add a bit to the game’s depth - not to mention that such character may finally bring a more human factor into the Elite Dangerous universe. Attaching missions to factions and NPCs should help give them a context.

Then missions “only” have to become a worthwhile option vs. bounty grinding/trading/exploration. At the moment the payout in missions is such, that with the exception of long range smuggling missions, they are best ignored if you want to collect credits.

3 Likes

Frontier has announced Horizon season expansions at PAX, here is what’s incoming.

2.1 – The Engineers
Coming Spring 2016
Everything changes. Introducing an expanded mission system and game-changing loot. Craft exotic weapons and modules for your spacecraft and build a ship unlike any other.

2.2 – Guardians
Coming Summer 2016
Take what comes and strike back with double. Bring a second ship to every combat encounter with Ship-Launched Fighters and defend your passengers against the deadliest threats in the galaxy.

2.3 – The Commanders
Coming Fall 2016
Team up and stand together. Forge your own identity with the new Commander Creator, then share your bridge with Multi-Crew and fly with friends.

2.4 – ???
A secret to be revealed in Elite Dangerous: Horizons’ final expansion!

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=31a58bf597

And we don’t judge you for that (where is the dislike button !?)

2 Likes

So, here is the persistence component of NPCs coming in the next patch addressed by FD.

Personalisation is about reflecting the player’s presence in the world and providing persistence for their activities. We’ve already mention that mission givers will be getting faces for 2.1 The Engineers update and this forms a part of the core of this personalisation. The mission contacts will become the faces of the minor factions you deal with for mission and this will be accompanied by a new layout for the mission board to group things more effectively for dealing with the minor faction.

The new mission presentation puts these NPC characters to the forefront of missions. They are unique and have their own faces, names and status within their organisations. The type of organisation will be reflected in the tone of their communications. Their dealings with you are also influenced by your reputation with the minor faction, but also the relative differences in status between you and the character. So if you’re Elite ranked and they’re a minor flunky then they will show you the proper deference – assuming their governing organisation allows it!

Repeated dealings with a minor faction will see your own status within the minor faction improve or fall – depending on your activities. At certain points you will deal with more important members of the organisation or even sterner types if your reputation is lacking. This will also be reinforced by a new greetings message when docking to reflect your status with the station.

The mission contacts will also remember if they’ve dealt with you before. As well as providing consistency the contacts are the conduit for gaining missions and seeing the effects they have. So they will inform you if the minor faction has entered a particular state, or a state is incoming. There will also be much smarter selection of missions that tie in with the current state of affairs, there will be more details on this as part of the progression and variety goals.

As well as what is happening in local space the contacts will let you know what impact your efforts are having and so helping to communicate the galactic simulation states and trends more effectively.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/380

2 Likes