Oh you two of little faith…
More space games is better for humanity!
Oh you two of little faith…
More space games is better for humanity!
This is true but truth doesn’t necessarily translate to belief, which doesn’t necessarily translate to action.
@cybercritic you are right. I don’t know why people always want you to choose between things.
People in general seem to have a hard time with concept of multiple games with overlapping feature-sets coexisting in the same market. I actually had to correct someone who believed [i]Angels Fall First/i was a Star Citizen clone, because it has starship and FPS combat.
Maybe they see all games set in space as going after the same niche?
Oh yea, people love to take a extremely quick glance and judge things without any research or second thought.
When the kickstarter started someone on reddit said that Battlescape obviously is just a Star Citizen clone (can’t remember the exat words, but it was something similar). Like, literally the only similar thing about S:C and I:B is that it’s set in space… but I guess watching a video and reading some text is too much work.
It also doesn’t help that neither of these games have actually been completed yet.
Read this article on the planned Elite Horizons planetary landings addition:
Prior to touchdown, Ben Dowie (Frontier Development’s Executive Producer) said that a sub-orbital speed will slow down the ship for an easy and safe landing, but in fact, the process goes through stages before your ship makes its mark on the planet. After entering a new system, your ship enters supercruise speed to quickly travel around the area, but once you get close to a planet, the ship will automatically stop to prevent crashing to its surface.
In Horizons, this will change with a new module automatically attached to your ship, which slows it down to a new speed called Orbital Cruise at a certain altitude. At this height, you’ll still be able to zip around the planet at high speeds if you’re scouting for a suitable area to land. In terms of the UI, it will also change to show the height limit for Orbital Cruise.
If this is the case, I didn’t realise that there was going to be so little player control (relatively speaking) in this “seamless” landing - it seems like it’s just patched up onto the engine.
Something like this just makes me appreciate more what the INovae engine can really achieve. Fingers and toes extremely crossed for the KS to succeed…
Yes even if the integrate planetary landing it still is a far cry from the freedom the inovae engine offers.
I play elite and one of the worst things beside the ww2 flight model and the lack of dedicated servers, is the instancing into those “speed zones”.
You can’t even see players in other speedzones, supercruising feels like a badly attached mini-game.
agreed, if you cant spot anyone in there why even have such system in place.
I wonder if it is because of bad network part of the engine.
I am starting to sound like broken record but:
When we look at infinity we see just pretty graphics, but this is of such importance, that i wonder what was actually the hardest part about I-Novae engine…
There is a live stream tonight at 19:00 BST titled “Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Exploring the Unknown - First SRV combat” for anyone interested.

BST or GMT? We’re back on non-retarded time now.
1hr from now, I thought it was now too, GMT.
Still probably going to miss it. Meh…
Is this the one?
Just finished watching it. I can safely say I hate flying bug robots and helicopters in any game.
The weekly video has arrived! 
David Braben did a really nice Q&A session today with some nice little video snippets of them driving around and outpost.
Oh…also…
1.5 Beta starts next week and the 2.0 Beta (planetary landings) starts 3 weeks from now! 
Aaaand…another video have hit the web!
Nice. (if a bit of a dull looking rock)
I like how they’ve put a bunch of random noise in the terrain mesh at ground level to make the rovers a little more interesting to drive around.
Going to be interesting seeing the drop into the moon’s scene out of super-cruise is handled.
Looks like Elite has some decent seamless planetary zooms already 
So Elite has won the race to be the first of the new generation of space sims to do real scale planets properly and they have set the standard pretty damn high. tbh I-Novae will have to do some catching up to make their planets look this real.