Elite: Dangerous

True, but with gimballed weapons, you can hit your target MUCH more often. Depending on where the weapon placement is, the target doesn’t even have to be necessarily in the center of your HUD. With the Cobra, two of the hardpoints are underneath and near the extremities. This means that they can’t fire above the ship hardly at all, but it does mean that they can fire at a ship below my HUD.

Just something to consider. :wink:

Just saw ED on Steam, wonder if they are gonna give us Steam keys…

1 Like

I don’t fly no stinkin’ cobra! :stuck_out_tongue: I have a viper, but it has the same problem with its lower hardpoints. I still never found much of a problem with that using fixed weapons. I’m just going to have to do the tutorials until either A: I kill that sucker with the fixed lasers or B: I get fed up and take a break whilst rinsing and repeating.

Edit: So I tried keeping FA on and I killed the guy first try. I think it’s just FA off that’s getting me. It is hard to keep steady aim on anything…

doubleedit: I got the sucker in FA off! My hand hurts now though

1 Like

Finally made some progress.

I’m currently 600 Ly out from my first ''stop", Veil Nebula East (or was it west).

Here’s a screeny of a very blue gas giant with some of the (growing) nebulas in the distance.

2 Likes

I made it to Veil Nebula West.

Very pretty.

My plan is to visit Veil Nebula East, after doodling around VNW, then go a star called “Star of India”, because it’s big and blue. Then, onward to Sadr Nebula, followed by Pelican, then North American Nebula, finally Elephant’s Trunk Nebula. After that, I’ll shoot for Traikeou A-AA H2, another nebula. After that, the galactic center.

Given how long it’s taken to reach just the VNW, who knows how long this will take. No more damage has been taken yet, hull ~99% integrity.

This will take a while… :wink:

Unsurprisingly, the area around VNW seems to be well explored by other commanders.

2 Likes

I just played a little elite due to procrastination. I stumbled upon a nice RES 2 jumps away from where I’m now residing in the comically named system Walla Walla. I stayed at the RES until my viper ran out of ammo for it’s multicannons which took me about a half hour. In that time I managed to rack up a million in bounties which was pretty cool! I’m up to 3.6millions now. When I hit the 5mil mark I’m going to start hunting for a Vulture and fit one out, although I don’t think 5mil will be enough to fit it’s two large class 3 weapon slots!

1 Like

I’ve heard the vulture is the best combat-orientated ship you can get for the money, hands down.

lol on Walla Walla. :laughing:

Well, I reached the

En route to the Star of India, I took a small detour to visit my first neutron star. :smiley:

What surprised me was how small the thing was. I mean, I knew that it would small, but at 22 Ls out, it wasn’t any bigger than a normal star 10-20 LY away. And it wasn’t very bright, either.

Anybody play in powerplay at all? I joined a faction but I need to grind more money to get a Vulture before I can really start helping out. What are your thoughts on the update?

P.S. How’s splorin’ Ark?

Got back into ED this past weekend.

Seems that powerplay is designed for masses, deliver 100 “tickets” to “prep” a system and you can only request 10 tickets per 30min, so you are fine in standard hauler doing those missions. Thing is that other prepped systems have thousands of tickets and only a few systems can be chosen for expansion. So in the end, you as an individual have no influence on anything. Well that is what I picked up with around 10 hours of “loose” gameplay, I think there are more details and even some other ways to have some more influence, like rank in a faction.

Looks like ED is best enjoyed for me with own goals and opportunist gameplay…

I didn’t really do much power play…I did join just so I could get the + bounty % bonus, but that’s it. I haven’t even reached that rank yet either though. I was waiting until I got my vulture(Which I bought last night, and finally found the right mods laying around) and now that she’s fitted out right, I’m making a killing in RES’s. 2 Large beam lasers just rip through anything, plus the Vulture handles like a dream especially in FaOff! I’ve already made another 2.5m in bounties in the last hour or two

Looking forward to getting back into E:D!

My current gaming rig can just barely handle it on med-low settings @1080. I was very active during the beta and then 1 month or so after release but haven’t played much since then.

That’s all going to change, as I’m receiving the final parts for my new gaming rig in about a week. Can’t wait to use my Oculus DK2 in E:D! (my current PC can just barely push the Oculus, but the judder becomes nauseating quickly). To celebrate the occasion, I’m thinking about buying myself a set of flight pedals. Does anyone here use rudders?

I haven’t played for ages and friends at work who have kept playing are increasingly saying they’re bored of it.
Massive galaxy but not much to do.

i myself have been bored of it for the longest time.

The new updates have only made me more cynical, putting in new super-parts that can only be obtained through more of the same dull space-questing is not my idea of an improvement 0f their system.

You don’t get to try out anything crazy thanks to the lack of save/load functionality. That’s (partly) what killed it for me.

I too was getting bored with it but I guess am willing to give it another try, even if only to experience the immersion and enjoy some flying, and not for the progression/rpg/long-term aspects. Shame to hear it, because it seems like there’s so much potential in this game, and powerplay was supposed to ‘concentrate’ some of the player gameplay.

If you could add something (or a few things) to ‘fix’ this aspect of E:D and make it fun, what would you do?

Make that two of us interested in the answer to this question.

I’ll toss out an idea, although I’m more interested in what others who’ve played it more have to say.

Bottom Line: Player ownership. The ability to “Own” a piece of “land” (space station), no matter how small, and the ability to improve upon it.

Imagine: for 5 million credits, you get a personal parking space in orbit around a planet, or out in the middle of nowhere orbiting a star. For another million or two, you can add automated defenses. You could add a navigational beacon for friends or for the public, so they could visit your ‘base’ (similar to dropping out at an USS).

Next up, add on some basic ore processing facilities, allowing you to extract higher %s of valuable metals out of raw ores than your shipboard refinery can produce. Might as well add a second parking space for your friends or partners to dock.

By this point your base is starting to produce a fair amount of heat, and might show up on non-friendly scanners as a USS. Better beef up those defenses. Or you could add an improved reactor or cooling vents to reduce your station’s heat signature.

How about laws – i.e. for the 100kms of space around your base, you set the rules (from a list of pre-defined options. Ban/Allow specific commodities (although you may still be subject to the laws of the system’s controlling faction - unless you become stronger!), add a no-fire boundary around your base, etc etc.)

The larger you get, the more you could start offering services. Perhaps you could serve as a way-station for turning in combat bonds, bounties, etc (i.e. by providing the service (to the faction/system), you earn a 2% commission on any payouts). How about fuel? Everybody needs fuel - and you could sell it. Munitions, repairs, etc… etc… Obviously you’re going to need raw materials and parts shipments… this will require loading bays, larger docks, etc etc. Perhaps you allow for a ‘free market’ on your station (i.e. NPC weapons manufacturers / ship manufacturers could sell their goods from your base) and simply take a small tax on each transaction?

Heck, you could even start leasing out ‘private docking bays’ and ‘luxury apartments’ for other players.

Of course, all of this requires increased power generation capabilities, core infrastructure and hull upgrades, improved defensive emplacements, perhaps the hiring of some security contractors… etc… etc…

I think I’ve made my point. And call me crazy, but given how many of these systems are already implemented in the game (from an NPC-only standpoint), I don’t think it would be too hard to make them available to players. Certainly it would take a few months of effort, but we’re not talking about major changes to the engine.

Or is this an altogether different game?

2 Likes

I think the only bone they intend to throw us in that regard is space yurts. Sometime in the future.

They seem really against players having any kind of power in the game, to me at least. Beyond swarming parts of the background simulation en masse and hoping it goes their way.

I think the core issue is the fact that it’s in some hinterland between multiplayer and single player.

It doesn’t have enough content for a single player game - NPCs getting on with their lives, missions, variety of ships, and either sandboxy empire building or engaging story.

And it doesn’t give players enough sandboxy empire building tools to be an MMO. (This is the stuff @NavyFish described.)

Also P2P instanced multiplayer doesn’t cut it: If you’re going to loose your ship you can simply block the p2p connection to your foe meaning there is minimal risk.