Elite: Dangerous

It probably was a double event.

Wait, that sounds like Pacific Rim…

1 Like

I hope your commander is named Kaiju. I also hope I’m spelling that correctly…

1 Like

Made 200k … shot unscanned cobra … got out with 400 Bounty … couldn’t pay bounty at station … tried other station … reloaded game … bounty gone … hmm :stuck_out_tongue:

Also they fixed the rings … gaps are now gaps.

1 Like

Update: Purchased my Type 7. Not ready to switch to it yet, though. A laden stock type 7 only can jump a maximum of 8 LY, which is inconvenient to say the least. The cargo capacity will be roughly twice the amount of my type 6, so in the long run, it’ll easily pay itself off, but first about 3 million credits are needed just for basic upgrades for the capacity and range.

Update: Because college started picking up, I haven’t really gotten to play that much for 2 weeks. However, I did finally just now upgrade my type 7, so I’m back to space trucking.

I did take a break, and purchased a little something I’ve been meaning to try out: An eagle. :wink:

I upgraded it, and went bounty hunting in my familiar hunting grounds: resource extraction sites. I’ve discovered that it is just as good if not better at bounty hunting than the cobra, and here’s why: agility. Sure, the eagle doesn’t back the punch as the cobra, but the agility of the eagle allows it to run circles around basically everything. I wouldn’t go against an anaconda in it, but against sideys and cobras, it’s a considerably cheaper platform to do the same job. To trick it out with A-grades, you are looking at about 1.5 mil tops, compare to the cobras 7-8 mil. And it does look very cool.

Same here same here.

Right before I stopped I had just upgraded to the Viper from my Eagle and I was a little disappointed. Yes it had more firepower and shields and pew pew, but I’m all about agility and it felt so sluggish to me. I was contemplating going back to the eagle and really sinking some iskies into it(I forgot what their currency is called, don’t shoot me).

I also agree that the eagle is sexiest ship in the game currently :slight_smile: aside from one of the ones that looks Normandyish from ME.

The Python? Yeah, I want one. I was running some numbers, though, and it’s roughly 200 mil to get it and fully trick it out. IMO, the anaconda has nothing on the python.

On another note, why are all these ships named after snakes, aside from the eagle?!?

No clue. It’s been that way since the original, apparently.

Reminds me of the X series, where all the races were obsessed with naming their ships after some sort of animal or greek god.

@INovaeKeith PLEASE, for the love of originality, pick decent, non-animal-non-greek-god names for your ships!

Isn’t the only ship we are aware of being in IBS “Helios” (or some variation of it), a Greek God?

1 Like

If Infinity:Battlescape is in the universe with the three factions, I would think that the factions would choose names appropriate to their unique philosophy. Confederate ship classes would use industrial-themed names (Hammer, Arc, Governor), Centauran ship classes would use nature-themed names (Typhoon, Claw, Breeze), and Deltan ship classes would use military-themed names (Flanker, Striker, Commodore). Each could also use the names of famous individuals from their respective histories.

Naming ship classes such as Eagle and Thor doesn’t make a lot of sense to me for a civilization so far removed in time and space from our own. I tend to find that sort of thing as jarring as thick asteroid belts in a mature planetary system.

The words presented by the three factions would be translations of the actual words or concepts. It could be argued that one or more of the factions has a historical figure that is a good match for Thor, but I wouldn’t bother going there. Just name the ship class Thundergod and leave it at that.

2 Likes

It is already too late… :weary:

EDIT: Wait, isn’t it called the Hellion?

1 Like

I see two way a name like Eagle could work.
First, if it was an approximate translation; the ‘eagle’ would be a large bird of prey, roughly equivalent of the onewe know of. Or it could be the same eagle, that was brought (or remembered) from Geodesia before it died - which itself was from ancient Terra, though they don’t know it and take Earth for a myth.
Thor would be pushing it a bit too far, though.

Not sure, thought I would have a chuckle at your expense :slight_smile:

I would personally go with prominent and historic scientist names, maybe even some other great people from throughout the human history.

1 Like

That would be narratively unjustifiable, though.

It can be explained with some imagination.

Both tactics can be used for any word in current use, including Twitter, Pepsi and Selfie. More important is whether or not the I-Novae guys are interested in establishing a fiction or just just cranking out some names that they think will market well. When I see that neat model of a fast attack ship, which is more likely to get me to buy it, a name like Arkara or a name like Falcon?

According to the game, the Arkara is a predatory winged animal on the Centauran planet Orbifarmatan-8, well known to everyone around the galaxy for its skill in hunting - while the Falcon is just an obscure legend, like the Clurichaun or Canadians.

In reality, the Arkara is just some made-up silliness of which a player will never see a picture and for which they will never develop any appreciation, while the Falcon summons up an immediate mental image of an elegant and lethal winged hunter.

Of course, the lack of any in-game pictures of the Arkara means that some die-hard fan or fans may go off and embellish. They’d figure out what it looks like, what and how it hunts, and even its role in Centauran society. That sort of thing only happens when there is an interesting basic fiction to work from and the game universe itself has a following.

1 Like

I would have bought the Arkara.

And I really dislike the the design and name of the Eagle in E:D.

ditto. :wink:

Arkara to me is a very cool sounding name and much more preferable to the cliche’d “Falcon”.

Though I get the point, names like Hornet or Raptor associate the thing with aggression, which is suitable for something military.

Necro! Now with the wings update out, lets gather all the infinity buddies that play elite. I’m CMDR Thorbinator.

With wings, now you can actually group up and do stuff together. What a concept, right? It’s really fun.

1 Like