Elite: Dangerous

@Topperfalkon From my experience with the game I actually found that the fastest way to exit Supercruise is to intentionally overshoot, and circle back to the target. Once you get the “slow down” warning, you immediately set the throttle to zero and then fly past and pull a hard loop. When you’re facing the station again you’re speed will be well within the correct exit speed and you can just follow standard procedure to exit supercruise. I don’t know if it actually is faster, but I’m impatient, and to me it feels faster; you can test it for yourself if you want. I think we can all universally agree that the process of exiting supercruise is not the most exciting part of the game.

Oh and for Coriolis starports, and all starports for that matter, just follow your compass to find the entrance, and the pad you need to dock at, it’ll point you right to it.

@Arkenbrien I’d have to recommend mining to you. Try to get a hauler, you can effectively trade more with more cargo spaces and you can mine. I especially like this guy’s advice, but I’m sure there is lots of good information out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZAyvBswZp0

Oh and you should leave LHS 3447. The 100k Ls distance between the two stars is just a huge waste of time. It’s better just to find a trade route where both systems have stations orbiting the main star. I also recommend upgrading your FSD to the class D one, it’s much better and extends your range really far :smile:

1 Like

I’m really hating that long drive, but it’s the only extraction source I can see. Minerals and metals, it seems to me ATM, have the biggest profit margin, and I need every penny with my tiny hold.

I have about 32k right now, so a hauler is a little out of my budget. I’m going to shoot for 70k before even thinking of getting a zorgon hauler.

What system would you suggest? I’d love a short trip! :wink:

In most games with the option, i always have the assist option off, but in this game the it also turning off orientatrion assist for no reason is bad enough for me to never use it. And,

As for money making, you can make 500k in an hour in a resource collection point with an eagle bounty hunting. Find the right one and the swarm of cobras with 10-30k bounties never ends.Im doing this in the wise 0855 system near sol, don’t spread that info around too much though ya hear.

the fastest, and simplest way is to go max throttle until the ETA reading is 6-8 seconds, then drop to 75% throttle and coast in. Some guy did some tests and timed it, it’s always the fastest.

Which is what I try to do, but after a cross-system haul you can find yourself pulling multiple c when you hit that point. The problem with supercruise is acceleration is relative to target (so if your target is far away, you accelerate a lot quicker), but nothing seems to make you decelerate quicker, and it can get a little inconsistent at times.

Oh, and I found a fun way to confound interdictions nears stations you can’t escape. Just fly into the gravitational pull of the planet the station is orbiting, and it’ll force you out of supercruise (with a bit of damage), but your assailant wont be on your tail

I think the Super Cruise acceleration and max velocity is based on the gravitational fileds of planets, something close to what our accepted method of cross system travel was based on.

If you want an easy and good Super Cruise exit, just keep the ETA timer on 7 seconds by adjusting your throttle, 6 sec is doable, 5 sec is nail-biting.

I’m getting a little frustrated.

The only really profitable market seems to be in the mineral and metals, and the ONLY place I can get those things is from LHS 3447, and I am seriously hating that travel time. All the nearby (relatively) systems are either unexplored, or don’t export those.

Another frustrating thing along with that is that the galaxy map does not have any way to find out where to purchase certain items. The only indication of what is going on in a system economically is to look at the economic overview thingy indicating whether a system is agriculture etc. The thing is when it says extraction, it rarely means that it is extracting minerals and metals, only that it uses them.

Am I missing something? Is there a mineral rich area I can look into?

I have yet to get past the combat training simulator thingy.

I don’t think you have to get past it, I’ve certainly never completed Incursion. But the other tutorials were enough to get me comfortable with the core game mechanics.

So I finally found a place where I can have some decent trading runs and not have to travel for hours to do it. I bought 4 gold, which for my tiny bank account, almost broke me, but not only did I have a nearby place I knew I could make a profit but I also had a super easy mission that would cover my losses, if any, anyways. That’s when I accidently hit a button on my joystick, and of course, it was the boost, and of course, I was in the middle of an enclosed station, and of course, I was right next to the wall. :angry:

I now have lost all the money I have made in the last 3 days. I was so close to buying that hauler. :angry:

I guess I meant I have not had the desire to continue playing once I tried the combat/flight/controls.

Aww I hate to hear those kinds of stories. The sad thing is, that’s the nature of the beast when it comes to Elite. Mistakes are costly, and trust me I’ve made many, but you never make the same mistake twice. I still stand by my word that mining is the way to go. I have outfitted my sidewinder with 4 cargo, a refinery, and a mining laser. I can make over 10,000 credits per run from selling a full payload of minerals. It’s a little more time consuming than trading, but more profitable as well.

My personal favorite thing to do is to explore, to simply fly around and discover new stars and planets, and to sell what I have scanned to universal cartographics. It’s moderately profitable (you can make anywhere from 600 to 6000 credits from data on one system) and you get to see a lot of interesting sights.

I’ll see where I can get a mining laser, then!

This is the part I can’t understand the logic of. Unfortunately, I now have a harder time with pseudo-atmospheric flight in space shooters without up and down. Having less time on my hand that I would like and choices to make, this is ultimately the one detail that ends up pushing me to not buy it.
Unless there are third-party tools that allow to have orientation-only help?

I just had another harrowing experience - I dropped out of supercruise, meaning the safe disengage was turned off, and somehow the Coriolis station I was heading toward was untargeted. And I dropped, RIGHT INSIDE THE STATION. Not in the hanger bay, but inside the actual station. I got all sorts of warnings of trespassing, but I **** somehow **** managed to escape by flying out of one of those grooves or whatever. Yeah, I probably did some mesh clipping. The devs must not have counted on me and my impeccable sense of timing. Ironically I was carrying another full load of expensive minerals.

1 Like

I can relate to that. I am not gripped to play it either, I think that’s because I know I have to work some to get the most out of it, it’s not a game that delivers it’s content to you in a nice linear story. I do find though that when I get into a session of Elite Dangerous I seem to end up playing it for twice as long as I expected to.

Oh yeah I’ve seen that happen (on youtube) when you don’t use safe disengage. Guess that’s why they call it safe disengage.

Hopefully it will grab me at some point :slight_smile:

Okay, I have a couple of questions.

First, I was mining some credits, when I looked and saw the local federation protection force attacking another ship. I had made 50k in joining in on these fights and collecting the bounties of nasty pirates, so I targeted the ship they were firing at, and proceeded to engaged. However, I halted as soon as I saw that the ship was also federation. Yes, the federation was having some sort of civil war. I decided to help the local forces out anyways, and I destroyed the federation ship, netting 28k in bounty. However, as soon as the ship was destroyed, the local forces turned on me, and destroyed me, because somehow destroying that ship put a bounty on me. I died, and returned. There are always some sort of federation slug fest going on in the asteroid belt now. So what exactly is going on?

Second, I was mining, and I get a notification that I was scanned. It was not the local force, so I retracted cargo scoop, and prepared for a fight. I turned and faced the ship. He stated “There’s more than enough for all of us”, and promptly attacked me. I did not shoot first. This was intentional. He clearly started attacking me first. I took a couple hits, then fired back. Immediately, I had a bounty on me for attacking this ship, and the local forces were speeding to destroy me (again). I was able to rush out of the belt and super cruise out of there, and pay my bounty, but still, why did this happen? The odd thing was, when he started to attack me, he didn’t turn red on the HUD. So maybe a bug?

1 Like

Sounds like you should be reporting this stuff on the ED forum rather than this one…
Does sound rather annoying!

If you return fire before fully scanning them and seeing “wanted” you get a bounty because the game is dumb.

1 Like