Awesomes of the Internets

Don’t we all :smiley:

1 Like

A cloud rained on me once. I remember that Cloud. Vengeance will be MINE!!!

2 Likes

@Skyentist Bentware is being hateful towards clouds! Oh my! We must form a pro-cloud group to protest this anti-cloud group uprising!

ALL HAIL CLOUDS AND THEIR MAGNIFICENT PUFFINESS!

2 Likes

BBC Horizon - 2015-2016: 14. My Amazing Twin

Adam Pearson presents a personal film about genetics. He and his twin brother are genetically identical and both have Neurofibromatosis 1 (Nf1) - yet they are completely different.

*note: UK BBC Iplayer (VPN will be required for playback outside of the UK)

1 Like

Before 2000, few people in China – or the rest of the world – had heard of the Rainbow Mountains.

Didn’t really belong on the science page.

1 Like

So I have found quite a bit of things in the last time I was here. I decided to come and share a bit of resources I’ve been using the past few weeks.

First, I’ve been taking the MIT challenge. Though I haven’t been out of college long, I already missed it. I read about the MIT challenge on this guy’s blog and figured why not. I hacked together a computer science degree according to MIT with harvardx, MITopencourseware, Coursera, and edX. Even made a physics minor. It’s been really fun; $0 bucks, mainly because I could find the textbook or textbooks like it online. Which leads me to the other cool finds:

http://academictorrents.com/ For data hoarders and for anyone else looking just to read up on anything interesting. I was looking at Hamiltonian mechanics with a friend and it was pretty useful and neat to read and see some data. I didn’t understand the dynamics but I tried.

Last but not least, if none of you know, libgen is a great ebook resource. I believe it’s down now but libgen indexes http://bookzz.org/.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I still don’t understand the draw of transparent screens beyond highly specialized applications…

1 Like

It’s the fuuutuuuuuure ~(°_°~)

It will probably be mostly used for highly specialized applications. Imagine for example a shopping window of a clothes shop, where the clothes are just projected on a mannequin… For example. It could also be used as a way to pester us with even more ads during our “shopping tours” :smiley:

Technology has been around for a few years, companies like LG, Samsung and a few others already have patents on them. One of the concepts has the ability to display images only on one side while being transparent on the other, could appear on smart-phones and consumer monitors in a few years.

1 Like

Once the technology is really cheap I’m sure we’ll see 1001 uses for it. In 20 years time big bulky screens will start to become a thing of the past.

2 Likes

They sort of are, I haven’t seen a CRT in awhile.

A big use I see is in the automotive industry.

Imagine - A solid block of black covering up the sun during a sunset drive, reducing glare. Also, variably tinted windows. HUDs, displaying highlighted outlines of objects or obstacles in the roadway, warning of incoming animals and other vehicles, and a gps system that doesn’t require eyes off the road.

Imagine all the Facebook people can do with semi-transparent screens while driving! :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, maybe not that one, but there are also applications in the medical field. Perhaps a super version of the google-glass that allows doctors to see their patient’s 3D x-ray and MRI while performing surgery - all in real time and aligned with the patient’s body.

Basically, HUDS everywhere will be revamped.

4 Likes

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Panel Reveals New Show’s Secrets

2 Likes

A broken shoulder? Meh, whatever. I got my record.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/motorsports/offroad/stories/1331814558511/bryce-menzies-new-frontier-world-record-jump

1 Like

Augmented reality headsets. Later, augmented reality glasses. Later still, contact lenses.

1 Like

What I mean is, why are people exited to be using them as TVs or desktop PC monitors, and why do they keep getting shown as being used in that capacity in all sorts of scifi!?

2 Likes

Doesn’t work like that, unfortunately.
The problem with HUDs is that the eye can’t focal on two different things at once. For example, real plane HUDs are actually a more complex apparatus so the image you see is at infinity, and not on the screen itself. (For the eye, 10m is like infinity, so everything will be at infinity outside a plane, for the pilot. Close-range HUDs may have to change apparent distance depending on what the user is looking at/what is highlighted, which would make things even more complicated.)
A few cars tried those ‘dumb’ screen HUDs, and it became soon apparent that it was dangerous, as switching between the road and the screen broke focus and what appeared on the screen distracted the user, so in the end it was more a source of accidents than anything else.

2 Likes

A stack of 20 transparent LCD displays could make a fairly fun 3D display. Would be cool to experiment with at least, if you were rich enough to afford 20 transparent LCD displays.

3 Likes

the Nintendo 3DS already has the capability to display 3d images without the need for glasses. maybe the technology could also be used for car huds.

1 Like