Awesomes of the Internets

future evil lair

8 Likes

It’s in the Antartic. Of course some bad guys are going to take over. It’s only a matter of time… :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

Not satisfied with 48 cores?

How about a 8K gpu?

I said it once, I’ll say it again: Way to go AMD! :smiley:

3 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

BBC Click - Gigafactory - 30th July 2016

Click visits Tesla’s new Gigafactory, chats to the boss Elon Musk and helps set a Guinness World Record. Plus 3D printed death masks in China.

*note: UK BBC Iplayer (VPN will be required for playback outside of the UK)

1 Like

Animating objects on photos. Pretty nice for augmented reality, I was wondering how many years we’d have to wait for something like that.

New ā€˜Mars Rover’ Game Celebrates Curiosity’s 4th Anniversary

JPL worked with the GAMEE game-player network to develop ā€œMars Rover.ā€ You can download the game, and learn more about how it relates to real-life Mars exploration, here: http://mars.nasa.gov/gamee-rover/.

4 Likes

Real-time cinematic path tracing incoming from Otoy:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/octanerender-4-to-support-powervr-ray-tracing/0222314

3 Likes

Lada Vesta police get rid of a foreign cars

2 Likes

How to kickstart Iron Age:

This channel should be useful for anyone interested in (alternative) Stone Age, Post-Apocalyptic/Stranded in the middle of Nowhere or even Stone Punk.

3 Likes

Love that guy. He always makes it look easy :unamused:

Scott Manley - Asteroid Update - Jill Tarter from SETI Institute - August 2016

2 Likes

BBC Click - 13th Aug 2016 - Defcon

Click reports from Defcon in Las Vegas, the world’s largest hacking convention.

*note: UK BBC Iplayer (VPN will be required for playback outside of the UK)

3 Likes

I was at DefCon 24 earlier this year. It’s a great place to really get to know about computers/cybersecurity/cryptopuzzles. Thanks for linking this!

2 Likes

Hello, I’m George Takei

ā€˜Star Trek’ Star George Takei and Fans Enjoy Zero-G Frontier (Photos)

1 Like

Watch the world’s biggest ā€˜flying bum’ go arse over tit in a crash

Longest aircraft hits the deck during second test flight

1 Like

The ESA now has a soundcloud channel:

Also, Space news courtesy of Rosseta:

One final edit:

Pizza gets delivered by drones!

I lied, one final edit:

I gave the Rosetta article a 5 star rating, and it gave the over all rating a 4.94117647058824/5. lol

1 Like

So I was debating putting this in the random thread or here, but I think it’s awesome so I decided to post it here.

Warning: Long post! If you don’t want to read(shame on you)…pictures are at the bottom.

Last week, I had the pleasure of being invited out to one of the channel islands, Santa Rosa, to the research station there operated by my university. I wanted to share some pictures I took both on this last trip and from previous trips because it’s such a beautiful place and deserves to be shared. First, I feel the need to give you all the shpeel of why I’ve been out there and why it’s important.

I spent multiple trips this last year out on the island installing a sensor system to monitor the resources used by the research station. The reasons for this were both practical(reducing footprint on the island) and as a learning experience to teach and quantify conservation for students that visit the station. To expand on practicality, the parks service station and our own research station are both linked to the only grid on the island. It’s powered by a combination of solar, wind, and generators for when the batteries are low. For water, there are a few wells on the island but that’s it. It’s extremely important to conserve water on the island especially during the current drought that California has been having.

Why teach? The research station has all sorts of students visiting. Most are environmental science students studying the regrowth of the island after the previous 150 years being in private hands. It was only very recently(1992) transferred to the NPS and slowly has been recovering after decades of damage done by the private ranchers who owned the island. What’s left are those students in various majors, such as business or communication, psych, math, etc, who travel to the island to get an education on how important preserving our natural treasures and resources are.

Water and power(generation) are the most important resources of the modern world and it’s important to remember that they are a finite resource. Our means of generation will not last forever and we need to conserve what we have to make our resources last for the future. That’s the goal I guess. If you guys haven’t figured it out yet, I’m sort of a hippie and I love nature. I want it to be preserved so that future and current generations can find the same beauty and tranquility I have in the various mountains, slopes, rivers, and lakes that I’ve been to. It’s just wouldn’t be fair to let it disappear.

You all want pictures. I took some! These were taken on my hike to the Torrey Pines on the island. Torrey Pines are only located in two places on the planet: San Diego and Santa Rosa Island. It’s not the first time I’ve done the hike, but it was a beautiful day and I hate being stuck inside programming…I needed to get out.

Edit: Bonus picture of Santa Cruz while on the ferry back. The above is definitely an album so you have to click on it. I thought we had interactive arrows to go through albums but I guess not.

6 Likes

I like clouds. :slight_smile:

1 Like