Awesomes of the Internets

Looked up the Doom Doors.
Turns out it’s a commonly used stock sound effect used by film but well recognised by gamers for obvious reasons :smiley:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DoomDoors

http://soundandthefoley.com/2013/07/22/doom-doors/

2 Likes

Seriously need to attach health warnings to any TVTropes link. That site is dangerous

3 Likes
6 Likes

OMG !
Just WOW. That is so bizarre, yet real looking.

I guess he took a photo and then added technology.
Or travelled to another time or reality. :smile:

I want that on the wall.
This really deserves attention.

Of course you can.

Also. Some more.

2 Likes

He is clearly a child of the 80s. All those cars remind me of my childhood :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

When I was a kid this was total death!
Australian toddler’s head re-attached to spine http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34462990

2 Likes

I love it. :laughing:

1 Like

9 Likes

Battlescape Screenshot belong in the Screenshots thread. Please delete.

6 Likes

That’s an incredible image.

2 Likes

Yeah, found it lingering in my email.

I have newsletters from the ESA and Nasa. ESA releases “week in images” which usually has some awesome shots, like this one:

2 Likes

Where are the eyes @Arkenbrien?

4 Likes

Its a comet not an asteroid!

Everyone knows comets don’t have eyes

1 Like

They do have tails :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

When a comet and an asteroid meet up, well that’s when planets are made.

2 Likes

A very strange star system…

2 Likes

Co-author emphasizes how press ran away with alien angle.
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=16581.msg1435700#msg1435700

2 Likes

Like hard scifi? Enjoy First Contact stories? Want aliens that are actually alien? Feel like your will to live is just too damn high?

Then allow me to present to you. . . [Blindsight, a novel by Peter Watts][1].

(follow the link to read it free on the author’s website)

This one made my head hurt, in a good way. Be warned, it is a grim and cynical tale. I won’t say more than that. Spoilers. Big ones.
[1]: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

2 Likes

Well, I think it’s only fair to add this. I mean, the INE has been looking great for quite some time, sure, but now that’s awesome.

6 Likes