Awesomes of the Internets

Well, anything smaller than the moon would be smaller than one pixel, so Vesta et al. would be to small to display.

They should have used an ice-cream lolly as the measuring stick, the solar system, the universe and that scroll bar would be so much bigger. :wink:

And yet… Pluto is included… arrogant little dwarf planet…

1 Like

Pluto Pluto Pluto Pluto CHARON CHARON…(think badger badger…it’s stuck in my head now)

2 Likes

I’m immediately reminded of an embryo in its early development. This is a frog.

When Pluto hatches, I wonder if we’ll look out into the distance and see this bounding towards us

In the words of Mork, “Don’t ever go to Pluto, it’s a Mickey Mouse planet.”

1 Like

Space frog egg confirmed…

2 Likes

Just in case someone is not aware, the closest approach is in ~8 hours!

Edit: Here’s an awesome view in the simulator what new horizons will be checking out

3 Likes

LIGHTSPEED!!!

… This will take a while.

… man, that’s a lot of blue whales…

Pluto outdid your spacefrog…with Pluto…

5 Likes

That just makes it clear that they faked the moon landings. Now they’re just trolling us.

3 Likes

2 Likes

gee, I wonder what this could possibly be referencing…

2 Likes

Haha…

I actually wondered what Derek Smart’s reaction would be, back when Roberts first did his “come dream with me” pitch.

It’s plutttooooooooooooo!

I’m excited.

1 Like

This is the world that look the closest to a science-fiction painting I’ve seen so far.
Ten years and billions of km for this image? Totally worth it.

3 Likes

Something different for once. As someone studying computer science, this very much freaks me out… good thing I only saw the video now when it is too late to dissuade me from my studies! :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s why people keep inventing new computer languages; they want simple ways to express certain constructs. Once those constructs exist, permutations of the constructs make some really interesting results possible. Particularly when the constructs are Turing-complete.

Note that having a certain set of constructs will also train the engineers permuting them into thinking along certain lines. Today, we think in terms of objects. In days gone by, we thought in terms of functions. Before that, instruction streams.

Apologies if this is all obvious.

2 Likes

This is actually one of the points that make me really glad that I decided to study computer science. Being “forced” to go beyond Java (the main language at my university) with Haskell, CHR, Javascript, Octave, etc really helped me in furthering my abstract thinking. Although I have now found a language that seems to tick most of the points for my personal preferences (Golang) I am always fascinated when I discover languages that are different, both in syntax and in paradigm. Thus the video: a language that requires a custom keyboard layout but looks to be very sleek is fascinating. The learning curve must be enormous though!

Thus my comment concerning being “freaked out” by it isn’t really meant seriously. :wink: And while it seems somewhat obvious to myself now that sticking to a single language can unnecessarily constrain one’s thinking, it is something I only really learned in the last few years (I’ll be done with my master come this winter).

I wonder what radically new languages will pop up in the coming years…

1 Like

http://www.cracked.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/barnowlhorror.gif

… Owls … :frowning:

2 Likes

I wish they’d stop creating new languages, stop writing so much code, and get rid of the bugs in the current code and then reuse it assiduously. The industry is clogged with new code, and new languages only inspire people to write more code, with more bugs.

One of the Not Very Awesomes of the Internet.

1 Like